Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Can a heater core be repaired instead of replaced? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1194121-can-a-heater-core-be-repaired-instead-of-replaced.html)

Rockworthy 10-04-2012 02:25 PM

Can a heater core be repaired instead of replaced?

Hello all. I have a leak. I'm leaking coolant from what looks like the heater core, because it's actually dripping down a considerable amount of coolant right onto the floor, and it's dripping right where the heater core is located. I'm in the process of removing the heater core right now. What I'm wondering is: Once I pull out the core, what options do I have of repairing it, instead of replacing it? I've heard the replacement Chinese heater cores may not fit very well. Plus it may be less expensive to just patch a hole in my existing one. But who would I take it to to do a repair like that?

Puddy 10-04-2012 02:26 PM

I guess a rad shop, but I usually take my chances at the repo ones. Mines still holding strong.

danr1 10-04-2012 03:18 PM

I got mine at napa fit fine, for under 30 bucks for a new one it really not worth attempting to repair an old one that leaks.

White 97 xlt 10-04-2012 06:46 PM

Any shop with enough knowledge to be able to repair a heater core will most likely charge almost as much as a replacement core. The cost difference won't be enough to buy a good burger and fries with a drink on the side.

And if they are like most, they won't touch it anyway, because the metal has work hardened and eroded inside to the point of being weak in spots, so they can't guarantee it will hold...

Do your self a favor and get a new core and just do the job once and be done with it!!!!!

garthneddy 10-04-2012 06:48 PM

I would just purchase a new core, especially with how cheap they are.

Rockworthy 10-04-2012 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by garthneddy (Post 12339686)
I would just purchase a new core, especially with how cheap they are.

Wow Napa only wants $26 for a heater core! I had no idea they'd be so cheap. The Ford dealer wants $94. I went to Napa today and got a nice, new heater core. I also compared it to my original one: both really look the same, with very small differences: The inlet/outlet pipes seem to be in exactly the same position, the thickness of the two are the same, but the length and width are about a 1/4 inch smaller on the new one from Napa. Tomorrow I'll install it and we'll see how it goes.

***Oh also: my heater core that's leaking seems to have some kind of wax in a couple of different spots. Like yellow, thick goopy blobs of wax. Do you guys think this was from a previous owner trying to repair the heater core?

Rockworthy 10-05-2012 08:12 PM

Just got done installing the $23 heater core from Napa. It fit really well actually, and no leaks now! Everything's working as it should. Thanks for the help everyone.

White 97 xlt 10-05-2012 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rockworthy (Post 12340800)

***Oh also: my heater core that's leaking seems to have some kind of wax in a couple of different spots. Like yellow, thick goopy blobs of wax. Do you guys think this was from a previous owner trying to repair the heater core?

It's very possible, I don't remember ever seeing anything like you described on a heater core before... But, then again I haven't seen all that have been made either...... But I have seen quite a few in my years in the business.

Glad to hear you got her fixed up.... Enjoy!!!!