Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Building a bad a$$ 6.0l (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1193055-building-a-bad-a-6-0l.html)

FossenRacing 09-30-2012 01:18 AM

Building a bad a$$ 6.0l

Have a 2003 f350 with egr delete, powermax turbo,updated oil cooler, blue spring, 6.4l banjo bolts, a early 100hp edge juice chip, slightly home ported exhaust manifolds, Arp studs and headgaskets, afe exhaust, has new to the truck injector also.

Truck runs alright, can take just about anybody in town. including the new 6.7l's
But i know my trucks got more. since the egr delete the truck has run with the egr fault underlying code(No MIL) the chip is a early gen and doesnt fix it.
I have no gauges which is stupid i know
and my spool time is terrible.

Have been looking at the banks big hoss bundle with the banks IQ
also a airdogII that replaces factory pump
and the ported intake manifold. Have shop in town that can possibly replicate it also.
I have no desire for custom tunes so bigger injectors are out.

If the trany cant handle it i will be buying a upgraded one with a banks torque converter.

any other mods i could do or is the banks hoss kit overrated?

Fulthrotl 09-30-2012 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by FossenRacing (Post 12322640)
Have a 2003 f350 with egr delete, powermax turbo,updated oil cooler, blue spring, 6.4l banjo bolts, a early 100hp edge juice chip, slightly home ported exhaust manifolds, Arp studs and headgaskets, afe exhaust, has new to the truck injector also.

Truck runs alright, can take just about anybody in town. including the new 6.7l's
But i know my trucks got more. since the egr delete the truck has run with the egr fault underlying code(No MIL) the chip is a early gen and doesnt fix it.
I have no gauges which is stupid i know
and my spool time is terrible.

Have been looking at the banks big hoss bundle with the banks IQ
also a airdogII that replaces factory pump
and the ported intake manifold. Have shop in town that can possibly replicate it also.
I have no desire for custom tunes so bigger injectors are out.

If the trany cant handle it i will be buying a upgraded one with a banks torque converter.

any other mods i could do or is the banks hoss kit overrated?

i pulled the banks IQ off mine.

i wouldn't recommend it, but if you are hell bent on an IQ,
i can make you a great deal on the one sitting in my garage.

most folks on here will suggest you run matt from gearheads
tunes.

i'd pass on the hoss kit.

bismic 09-30-2012 05:38 AM

+1. Custom tunes are much better for the engine and the performance. Why rule them out? I know you have heard this, but ......... You aren't doing your tranny any favors with the Edge juice. Sounds like you are hammering it quite a bit also.

The PowerMax is a bit "laggy" without custom tunes, but then you know that now based on your post!

I do think gauges are a requirement if/when you mod the truck. Who knows what fuel pressure you are getting w/ the extra power.

As said above, you don't need all the air intake mods of the big hoss bundle.

Maxium4x4 09-30-2012 07:51 AM

I agree with Bismic, you need custom tunes. The Edge juice is not all that much power and the trans will suffer from it if you keep running with your current set up.

The stock air filter will handle 500HP so you could add a Spearco intercooler. Banks is no good for the 6.0L, only a name. You are on the right track replacing the stock fuel pump.

berick 09-30-2012 11:52 AM

I had an Edge Juice with Attitude and I can tell you first hand that if you want more power, better throttle response and quicker/safer tranny shifts.... Go with the custom tunes from Gearheads. I had both so I'm not blowing smoke up anyones a$$. Myself, Matts SRL tune was fun but a lot more than what I needed. If you have headstuds and want a hotrod diesel than get their programmer with the SRL+ tune..… if you don't have studs, the regular SRL tune will still put a grin on your face and you won't be throwing away a tranny right away!

joe blow 09-30-2012 12:24 PM

Never used any edge products, I agree that BANKS is way overpriced and not the right choice for the 6.0L but I can attest to GEARHEAD custom tunes. Matt writes specific tunes for the powermax to reduce lag.

Crash16 09-30-2012 01:20 PM

Also a ficm tune might do you good to reduce turbo lag.