Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   No passing gear.... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1191790-no-passing-gear.html)

Dude Lebowski 09-24-2012 09:47 AM

No passing gear....

I have a '94 F150 regular cab longbed with the V6 and automatic transmission and only 56K miles. The transmission shifts fine except when I need passing gear. It won't downshift when I floor it and it won't downshift automatically when I'm going up a steep hill. Can someone please tell me what is the cause of the problem and how much a transmission shop should charge me to fix it? Thanks....

Evan_P 09-24-2012 10:53 AM

Whoops, double post...

Evan_P 09-24-2012 10:55 AM

First off, welcome to the FTE. Your truck actually has an I6. The transmission is most likely an E4OD if it's an automatic. Is the OD light on the shifter blinking? Try pulling codes and see if anything comes up. I'm not sure what your issue could be, but I can safely say that for any transmission shop to fix it your looking at $1000+. If they have to rebuild it more around $2000...

Dude Lebowski 09-24-2012 11:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. There is no blinking light anywhere. I don't know what "pulling codes" means. I called a couple of transmission shops and one guy said something about replacing a cable which hopefully would cost a lot less than $1000. Does anyone else have any ideas?

ChristopherN 09-24-2012 11:23 AM

Pulling codes means getting a code reader and plugging it in and having the device "pull" codes if there are any.

Because yours is a 94, it might have OBII, so you won't need a specific "Ford Code Reader" like us with older trucks have.

You'll know it's OBII if it has a plug under below the fuse panel.

Conanski 09-24-2012 11:53 AM

First go find the trans code on the decal on the drivers door pillar, if it's a T you have an all mechanical AOD trans which would have the cable the shop was talking about, but if the code is U or E then you have the computer controlled 4R70w or E4OD and you'll need a code reader to see what problems the computer is having with it, the Equus 3145 is commonly used on this vintage truck since it is OBD-1,and the test connector is under the hood on the drivers side inner fender.
Equus 3145 Ford Digital Code Reader : Amazon.com : Automotive

Dude Lebowski 09-24-2012 12:29 PM

Now we're getting somewhere. The code on the decal is U so does that mean that it's a 4R70W trans? Can I take it to my local Advance Auto Parts and have them scan it with their code reader thing? Thanks for the replies. By the way, I've been here before but it's been a while and my computer coudn't remember my user name and password (and neither could I) so I had to sign up like a new guy....

Evan_P 09-24-2012 12:33 PM

No you can't unfortunately. Not unless they have the special scanner. OBDII didn't come out until 1996. That's what all the regular scanners are. You have the under hood diagnostics connector.

Read this on how to pull codes: 1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net

Report back when you get that done or if you get confused. There is a scanner you can buy, but its really not needed. All you need to do it the way I posted is a jumper wire or an all mighty paperclip...

Dude Lebowski 09-24-2012 12:49 PM

I called Advance AP and they don't have the OBD1 scanner. Since the problem isn't a simple cable does that mean that it will cost at least $1000 to fix like someone posted earlier? If not what are the possible causes and costs? My budget prefers anything under $100. LOL Thanks.... :-jammin

Evan_P 09-24-2012 01:02 PM

It depends on the shop, but a lot of them charge a lot of money to work on electronic controlled transmissions. Like I posted before, click on that link and read how to do the code scan. That will be your best first step. We cant know whats wrong until you do that. best part is its free to do that test.:D

Dude Lebowski 09-24-2012 01:32 PM

My complete lack of any kind of mechanical ability won't allow me to figure out how to do that scan with a paper clip thing. I live 1/4 mile from a Ford dealer so my wife wants me to take it there which would obviously be the easiest (and most expensive) solution to the problem. Would it be cheaper to drive it 30 miles to an AAMCO shop in Louisville? Does anyone in this area have any suggestions for an honest transmission shop around here? :-huh :-huh :-huh

Evan_P 09-24-2012 01:50 PM

Its actually really easy to do. The connector is on the driverside of the engine bay under the hood hinge. There is one big black connector and one gray connector. What you have to do is jump the gray connector and pin 359 together. Then hop in the truck and turn the key on to accessories and the truck will go into diagnostics mode. Watch the check engine light as it will begin to blink. It will blink in a pattern. For example: | = 1 blink, - = short pause, -- = longer pause, longest pause = --- :

Start: |-|-|--|-|-| = 111,111 in KOEO
Then it will do Continuous memory right after a long pause.

If you don't feel able to do this that's okay, I didn't know what I was doing the first time I did it. Ford will test it just how I explained it for a good chunk of money. A diagnostics test at the dealer I go to is $75 with no work done other than the test.

BRay09 09-24-2012 01:52 PM

Order the scanner and follow the directions? I don't see how anyone can't put a jumper between two plugs and count some blinks...

Dude Lebowski 09-24-2012 02:13 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to call a couple more auto parts stores and see if they have the OBD1 thing. I'd still like to know what are a couple of possible causes of the passing gear not working and what the cost would be to replace that part. Thanks again....

Conanski 09-24-2012 02:30 PM

Common problems for functionality issues with these computer controlled transmissions involve issues with several key powertrain sensors including the VSS(speed sensor) on the rear axle or the PSOM which is a module on back of the speedo cluster, the MLPS is the sensor down on the trans that indicates the shift lever position to the computer, and several of the engine sensors including the TPS(throttle position) and MAP(intake manifold pressure/vacuum) or MAF(intake air mass) on vehicles so equipped. In most cases there is nothing wrong with the transmission itself so it's unlikely you're looking at a massive bill here, but it may take some time to diagnose and track down the problem because it could be a sensor fault or a wiring problem, so labor will be the biggest chunk of whatever it does cost if you have a shop do the work.