Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   engine miss and kill when warm. p1280, p1211 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1191747-engine-miss-and-kill-when-warm-p1280-p1211.html)

cyco 09-24-2012 12:23 AM

engine miss and kill when warm. p1280, p1211

Engine misses or kills when warm. p1280, 1211
<HR style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(209,209,225); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; FONT: 13px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; COLOR: rgb(209,209,225); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" SIZE=1>I started with an occasional miss which would kill the truck after it had been idling a few minutes. No engine light would flash and the truck would start right up. This happened maybe three times over a month. The engine always cranks quickly. Then the engine died suddenly while driving. Again no engine light. The truck would not fire at all when cranking. After it cooled for an hour waiting for a tow it cranked right up. After towing home, it would still crank and run for a while fine when cold but it may miss a few times then eventually kill and not restart after warmed up. The <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">icp</ACRONYM> did have slight oil in the plug. I tried disconnecting the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">icp</ACRONYM> when it killed and it still would not restart. Once the engine cooled it would run again. Up to this time I did not have any engine light. I did have p1280 <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">icp</ACRONYM> low and p0340 cam sensor. Both of these would clear and not return until the engine missed or died again. (Typically 5-10 min once it heated up)

I replaced the cam sensor. No change. The same problem as above except P0340 did not return.

I again tried unplugging the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> but did not find it made a difference when the engine died. I also tried cleaning the <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> and <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> plugs. Still no change.

I replaced the <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> with a new <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM>. Now the engine light stays on. P1280 stays on with key on engine off and will not reset. After the engine runs a few seconds the <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure out of range, above or below desired">P1211</ACRONYM> (<ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM>not controlling) will also set. The engine will start missing once it warms up again.

I tired wiggling the wires to the <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> and the engine would not miss. I also deep cleaned the <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> plug as it looked like it had never-seize compound and dirt on the wire side. The rubber seal which stayed with the old <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> was also broken and may have had heat damage. Even though the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM> had a slight leak, I thought it was ruled out with the unplug test. I also replaced the oil and oil filter.

I’m worried because the problem is getting worse as if new <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> or plug is bad. My next thought is to go to international and get an <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> pigtail and maybe also replace the <ACRONYM title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</ACRONYM>. Is this correct? Any other thoughts?
2002 f350 stock 7.3 210k miles

Shake-N-Bake 09-24-2012 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by cyco (Post 12302367)
..... My next thought is to go to international and get an <ACRONYM title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</ACRONYM> pigtail ...

That would be my next step as well. If you happen to have an old Under Valve Cover Injector harness you can source a pigtail that way....(the injector connector is the same as the IPR and EBPV solenoid connectors).

I have been seeing more and more issues with the IPR wiring harness lately....maybe they have reached their maturity and are just now starting to fail. :-huh

Pitcrw6 09-24-2012 09:22 AM

Riffraffdiesel has both those parts and might be alot cheaper.

DP-Tuner 09-24-2012 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by cyco (Post 12302367)
Engine misses or kills when warm. p1280, 1211
<hr style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(209,209,225); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; FONT: 13px verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; COLOR: rgb(209,209,225); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" size="1">I started with an occasional miss which would kill the truck after it had been idling a few minutes. No engine light would flash and the truck would start right up. This happened maybe three times over a month. The engine always cranks quickly. Then the engine died suddenly while driving. Again no engine light. The truck would not fire at all when cranking. After it cooled for an hour waiting for a tow it cranked right up. After towing home, it would still crank and run for a while fine when cold but it may miss a few times then eventually kill and not restart after warmed up. The <acronym title="Injection Control Pressure">icp</acronym> did have slight oil in the plug. I tried disconnecting the <acronym title="Injection Control Pressure">icp</acronym> when it killed and it still would not restart. Once the engine cooled it would run again. Up to this time I did not have any engine light. I did have p1280 <acronym title="Injection Control Pressure">icp</acronym> low and p0340 cam sensor. Both of these would clear and not return until the engine missed or died again. (Typically 5-10 min once it heated up)

I replaced the cam sensor. No change. The same problem as above except P0340 did not return.

I again tried unplugging the <acronym title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</acronym> but did not find it made a difference when the engine died. I also tried cleaning the <acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym> and <acronym title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</acronym> plugs. Still no change.

I replaced the <acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym> with a new <acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym>. Now the engine light stays on. P1280 stays on with key on engine off and will not reset. After the engine runs a few seconds the <acronym title="Injection Pressure out of range, above or below desired">P1211</acronym> (<acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym>not controlling) will also set. The engine will start missing once it warms up again.

I tired wiggling the wires to the <acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym> and the engine would not miss. I also deep cleaned the <acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym> plug as it looked like it had never-seize compound and dirt on the wire side. The rubber seal which stayed with the old <acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym> was also broken and may have had heat damage. Even though the <acronym title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</acronym> had a slight leak, I thought it was ruled out with the unplug test. I also replaced the oil and oil filter.

I’m worried because the problem is getting worse as if new <acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym> or plug is bad. My next thought is to go to international and get an <acronym title="Injection Pressure Regulator">IPR</acronym> pigtail and maybe also replace the <acronym title="Injection Control Pressure">ICP</acronym>. Is this correct? Any other thoughts?
2002 f350 stock 7.3 210k miles

What is the part number for CPS you installed? Color of the CPS?