Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   First time towing with 5 Star (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1191626-first-time-towing-with-5-star.html)

pappy19 09-23-2012 03:53 PM

First time towing with 5 Star

Even though I have had my Mike's 5-Star ptogrammer since last December, I have not towed with it. I am towing my 31" Airstream Classic S/O at around 10,200 lbs and a 1,000 lb hitch rate. I also have a Firestone rear airbag set at 60 lbs. My '08 has a 4.10 rear and the 5 speed TS tranny. Before Mike's, I had a Diablosport Predator that I used for 80k and while I never had an issue with it(except for towing my AS I got a CEL going up lots of mtns in the west, all for "lean" settings), I WANTED a Mike's.

I am towing my AS from San Antonio, TX to Tallahassee, Fl., which is all fairly flat except for a few really tall bridges and up-downs in north Fla. Yesterday coming through New Orleans on I-10(BTW, I-10 through Louisiana on I-10 is THE worst interstate in the USA,IMHO), all of a sudden I got a CEL. Spent the night in Slidell and thought I might get lucky and it would go away, not so. Am spending the night tonight in Navar Beach and tomorrow on to Tallahassee for a few days. I will check to see what the code is some place since I forgot to load my 5-Star and left it at home. I am suspecting it is another "lean" notice since my 5-Star has been runnung on 89-Tow mode for almost 9 months and I have loved it. Mileage towing using mostly Chevron gas, is about 8.5 driving 70 where I can and 40 in Louisiana, stop and go. I will keep you posted.

Pap

BigPigDaddy 09-23-2012 04:05 PM

When I first installed my SCT from Mike @ 5Star I was getting lean codes. I replaced all 10 coil packs. A few days later I was getting lean codes again. Mike helped me track down the problem to a cracked PCV hose. Replaced that and no problems since. The SCT brings out the performance of the V10 and any weaknesses will surface, so it is definitely a good thing. :-X22

pappy19 09-23-2012 04:12 PM

So the PVC hose and valve is inside the valve cover and is a huge PITA from what I understand. Did you also change out the PCV valve at the same time? What will happen if I just disregard the "lean" issue?

Pap

BigPigDaddy 09-23-2012 04:24 PM

Mine is a 2000, so the hose is outside and easy to access. I did also change the PCV just because the OEM was only about $6.

Disregarding the lean issue could be bad depending on what is causing it. In my case it was lean codes on both banks. If yours is both banks, it is likely caused by something both banks share. Apparently you have over 80,000 miles on the truck, so there is likely something that needs attention and the SCT tuner is causing the weak link to surface.

I recommend calling Mike and asking him once you find out what the codes are. He REALLY helped me a lot.

mudfuel06 09-24-2012 07:43 AM

Pappy, if you're still in Tally for awhile, let me know. I'm heading that way today before lunch and will be up there for the rest of the week. I'm more than willing to help with anything I can. I'll PM you my number.

5 Star Tuning 09-24-2012 12:43 PM

Most likely a weak cop. a good tow with a tune will bring weak one(s) out.
just clear the code and find the weak cop when you can track down.

pappy19 09-24-2012 11:17 PM

Funny, as soon as I unhooked my Airstream here in Tally, the CEL went off. May be a coincidence, guess I'll see when I hook back up on Saturday. The programmer on the 89-Tow really hauled the AS fine, no complaints at all. Plenty of power when I needed it, shifted great in the T-H mode.

Pap

gman7oh 09-26-2012 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by pappy19 (Post 12300869)
............Yesterday coming through New Orleans on I-10(BTW, I-10 through Louisiana on I-10 is THE worst interstate in the USA,IMHO), ................
Pap

X1000
BUMPITY bump BUMPITY bump
for 50+mi

5 Star Tuning 09-26-2012 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by pappy19 (Post 12305703)
Funny, as soon as I unhooked my Airstream here in Tally, the CEL went off. May be a coincidence, guess I'll see when I hook back up on Saturday. The programmer on the 89-Tow really hauled the AS fine, no complaints at all. Plenty of power when I needed it, shifted great in the T-H mode.

Pap

hhmmm hows the battery in truck above 12.7 volts?

mudfuel06 09-27-2012 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by fordmdb (Post 12310611)
hhmmm hows the battery in truck above 12.7 volts?

x2. I have already had to replace my factory battery.

pappy19 09-27-2012 10:00 PM

Battery is good, also found I had lost a headlight and backup light both on passenger side, may be a coincidence. Changed oil, fuel filter was filthy, may get better mileage and maybe semi-plugged fuel filter could make a lean condition and CEL.

Pap

5 Star Tuning 10-01-2012 06:18 PM

scratching my head on this one pap . let me know if you come across any other issues i can help out on
mike

acz570 10-02-2012 08:54 PM

Mike from 5 Star made me a 87 octane tow/haul program. I towed with a few weeks ago. I had my equipment trailer with my tractor loader backhoe on it. The combined weight 05 F350 and trailer was about 17k. I had no problems towing up 10%+ grades. I thought the F350 pulled as well or better than my 03 F350 7.3 PSD.

pappy19 10-03-2012 11:00 AM

Due to my mother's bad health situation, I am staying in Tallahassee for a few more days, so won't hook up the Airstream until next week. We'll see if the CEL comes on then.

Pap