Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Detroit locker install question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1191359-detroit-locker-install-question.html)

Bird Hunter 09-22-2012 04:05 AM

Detroit locker install question

Quick question- I have a '95 F-250 Powerstroke with the 10.25 rear end and factory limited slip. I was considering having a Detroit Locker installed but I read some where that it cannot be installed into a limited slip case. Is this the case with the 10.25? If so what are my options? I don't really want to go with an ARB locker. I planned on lifting the truck 4 inches and running 35's. We get into some pretty gnarly areas where I frequently get crossed up with tires spinning in the air. The factory limited slip seems to always send power to the tire with the least amount of traction even with a judicious application of the brake. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DZL JIM 09-22-2012 06:37 AM

The Detroit I put in my truck replaced the whole carrier, I don't think they sell anything less. Pull the carrier, pull the ring gear, bolt ring gear to new Detroit unit and re-install. Of corurse there's a little more to it, but you will be removing your whole limited slip unit.

Bird Hunter 09-22-2012 12:34 PM

Thanks for the quick reply DZL JIM, I really appreciate your help. Now to find a site that has a good deal on one. BTW one more question; should I get a rebuild kit with the locker? I know I'll need new ring gear bolts but is there anything else I'll need? Just asking since you've already had one installed. Thanks again!

DZL JIM 09-23-2012 05:42 AM

I got adjustable shim pack with mine, re-used the old bolts.
The adj shims were neat, includes a kind of 'housing' that you change the shims inside so you don't ahve to deal with trying to get multiple skinny shims behind the bearings.
I think I got mine from Randy's Ring and Pinion.

Do you have auto or 5 spd?

Bird Hunter 09-23-2012 12:44 PM

The truck is a 5 speed, standard cab, long bed. Adjustable shim pack? Wow! I've never heard of one. Sounds like it would make the job a lot easier. Something I definately will look into. How do you like the locker? Any driveability issues? I've read a lot of good and bad about it; haven't had a chance to drive or ride in a vehicle with one installed. Sorry for all the questions. It's hard to find parts or reliable advice here so I'll pretty much have to decide for myself and order everything off the net. Thanks!

DZL JIM 09-24-2012 05:44 AM

I put them in (front and rear) almost 10 years ago. Had an auto in it till this spring. Maybe once a year with the auto trans it would unload and you'd swear the rear axle just fell out from under the truck.
Now with a 5 spd, it does that about once a week. I still pucker up a bit when it does that.
Also, now with the 5 spd, I can't make a turn anywhere that won't squeal the tires on pavement. Really annoying, people always look like you're going too fast around a corner or something. I think with the constant application of torque with the manual trans the rear is always locked.
Just so ya know what to expect.

strokin'_tatsch 09-24-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DZL JIM (Post 12302549)
I put them in (front and rear) almost 10 years ago. Had an auto in it till this spring. Maybe once a year with the auto trans it would unload and you'd swear the rear axle just fell out from under the truck.
Now with a 5 spd, it does that about once a week. I still pucker up a bit when it does that.
Also, now with the 5 spd, I can't make a turn anywhere that won't squeal the tires on pavement. Really annoying, people always look like you're going too fast around a corner or something. I think with the constant application of torque with the manual trans the rear is always locked.
Just so ya know what to expect.

This is true. I've ridden in auto trucks with Detroits and they drive awesome on the street. The only time you feel it really is when your off the throttle coasting down the road and punch it, you can feel it bump a little.

The one in my manual trans though is like Jim is saying. Turning out onto the street or something the tires chirp until you straighten out a little. Going around corners at speed is fine, but if you let off the throttle and get back on it again you feel it bump and in a corner that bump of the locker will push the truck left or right just a little bit. Nothing crazy, but something I notice in mine going around corners. It doesn't bother me and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, even with a manual trans.

Awitte58 09-24-2012 05:57 PM

A little OT since the OP seems to have gotten info he wanted.

Do you guys like the detroit lockers over the rest? or have you only experienced with detroit lockers?

My buddy had front and rear Yukon Grizzly lockers put in and i liked those. You could feel em lock in if you hammered down, but it didnt bother you at all during normal driving (once again this was an auto).
Havent really looked them up to see what research is found on yukon and detroit. i know both of their names are really popular.

strokin'_tatsch 09-24-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Awitte58 (Post 12304464)
A little OT since the OP seems to have gotten info he wanted.

Do you guys like the detroit lockers over the rest? or have you only experienced with detroit lockers?

My buddy had front and rear Yukon Grizzly lockers put in and i liked those. You could feel em lock in if you hammered down, but it didnt bother you at all during normal driving (once again this was an auto).
Havent really looked them up to see what research is found on yukon and detroit. i know both of their names are really popular.

The only experience I have is with Detroit Lockers and the Detroit Truetrac. My F-150 has a Detroit Locker out back and a Truetrac in the front. It's an awesome combination, especially when you venture off the pavement.

Bird Hunter 09-24-2012 11:16 PM

I was just about to write regarding the Yukon Grizzly locker and if DZL JIM had any experience with them. From what I've read they are like a Detroit locker, but operate way more smoothly; meaning without all the clanking and banging, and they supposedly unlock reliably around corners. I know you can't believe everything on the internet, but I can't find anyone here with any experience with the Detroit locker, much less the Yukon Grizzly. If I'm going to spend the money, I want to make sure I get something that I can live with, yet performs as I need it to. I really appreciate all of your input. Thanks guys!

DZL JIM 09-25-2012 06:06 AM

Just Detroits here. IMO they are the best money can buy, been around forever it seems, so I'll deal with little issues.

tshrager 09-25-2012 07:47 AM

Something to think about when not installing a selectable locker is where you live. Travis probably doesn't have to deal with snow, but maybe Jim can chime back in and tell you about a locker in the snow. When my I put the truetrac in my Wrangler, if it was just slick enough to not put it in 4 wheel, the locker would spin me around if you looked at it wrong. Made for some interesting driving conditions. If there was a couple inches on the ground, it performed beautifully. Granted a YJ has an extremely short wheel base, so a longer truck might not be an issue.

DZL JIM 09-25-2012 03:56 PM

Well, I plow with this truck and with front and rear lockers it's near impossible to stop. :-X06
Having said that the truck has not been on the road in the winter in over 10 years, I just plow my driveway.

But wet roads you do have to pay attention.

strokin'_tatsch 09-25-2012 04:54 PM

I'm not sure about snow, but I do know that, as Jim pointed out, you definitely need to pay attention driving in the rain or driving a decent powered truck on the street with a locker.

In my truck, it tries to go sideways in the rain almost everytime I try to turn onto a street. It's definitely different.

Also even driving on pavement, if you have a decent amount of power at your disposal, be easy with it until you get the truck straight. Having a locker is an easy way to put yourself in the ditch if you don't know what to do with it when the back end steps out.. I know what to do with mine and I have accidentally done a donut in the middle of the road once.. Just get used to it before you play too much.

DZL JIM 09-26-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch (Post 12307955)
...I have accidentally done a donut in the middle of the road once....

Once.
But how many times were intentional?
:D