Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   High Pressure Oil Pump leak questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1188461-high-pressure-oil-pump-leak-questions.html)

samantha.hamrick 09-09-2012 11:16 AM

High Pressure Oil Pump leak questions

Ok this is going to be a long post. I own an 02 F350 Superduty 7.3L. I've been having an oil leak for some time now. Its hard to find the source with all the splatter under my truck. I'm told the most common problem is the HPOP and a mechanic told me it was the rear plug of the HPOP that was leaking and he couldn't get it off. Is this some sort of a lie because Ford says the same thing, but ive read on this site that it IS possible to remove with a ratchet . I'd like to start small and replace the plug & o ring first ( anybody have a part # for that?) and is it possible to visually check the seals and hoses for leaks as well without removing a bunch of other parts? I'm ready to get this thing fixed! I don't want all my oil to dump out on the freeway and leave me stranded somewhere. Thanks to any of you guys that can help me.

lostinafog 09-09-2012 01:35 PM

first off need to clean up the engine to see the source then proceed

most common leaks are the HPOP & it`s hoses orings takes special orings & thread lock the plug will---- but not always strip the threads on removal not to be messed with till sure it is the source of leak!
also the dipstick mount on the oil pan behind the BIG nut if leaking can be loosened clean clean & clean again. behind it then finger push silicone between it & pan as you turn it in & tighten wipe off excess.
VC`s, front crank seal,rear main seal all possible but not real common.
but as first stated till engine is clean of excessive oil just chasing you tail

samantha.hamrick 09-09-2012 04:36 PM

Can I spray engine degreaser underneath to get rid of the oil? It's covering the oil pan and other places as well.

DND58 09-10-2012 12:03 AM

For cleaning, something like simple green would be a better choice. Also, start cleaning up top, near the HPOP and valley to confirm where your leak is.

Attached is a link for instructions for a HPOP repair kit sold by Diesel o rings. This may help you understand better. Bob is a good guy and a great resource for these trucks. You may get better responce if this thread was moved to the 7.3 section.

http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/fullHPOP.pdf

lostinafog 09-10-2012 05:14 AM

simple green, super clean, purple power all good degreasers.
so you are saying the entire engine oil pan is covered in oil ? ifso not HPOP or lines as oil from them only will wet the engine valley & rear of pan & of course everything aft of that.
if you live or the truck came from area that used salt on the roads the oil pans are know to rust through.

so gota get er clean first.

Kdr358 09-10-2012 11:36 AM

+1 one on inspecting the oil pan! Mine was recently replaced by the Previous owner. Around where I live I know of 2 trucks (02 F350) plow trucks that have gone through 2 oil pans in less than 4 years and less than 30,000 miles. The most common 7.3 leaks are up top that run down, the Low pressure oil pump or the oil pan. Good luck on the leak hunt!

samantha.hamrick 09-10-2012 12:03 PM

There's a 7.3 forum? Good to know. I'm off to get sum simple green. I have to wash my truck anyway so mite as well get dirty under it too. I have a 6 inch lift with 38's so I can sit under my truck and spray. haha. Will be back when/if I discover the leak so I can ask any repair questions I mite have.
Thanks

powerstroke72 09-10-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by samantha.hamrick (Post 12255945)
There's a 7.3 forum? Good to know.

Sure is and I've moved your thread there for maximum exposure.:-X22

greenbeast7.3 09-10-2012 12:24 PM

you can go to International dealer and get a rebuild kit for the hpop just did it. Dont goto ford to get it.

Shake-N-Bake 09-10-2012 01:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by samantha.hamrick (Post 12255945)
There's a 7.3 forum? Good to know. I'm off to get sum simple green. I have to wash my truck anyway so mite as well get dirty under it too. I have a 6 inch lift with 38's so I can sit under my truck and spray. haha. Will be back when/if I discover the leak so I can ask any repair questions I mite have.
Thanks

The likely source of your leak will be on top of the engine. If you can get a good look at the valley between the cylinder heads you will see 3 basic retention areas (forward, center and rear). If there is oil in the forward area then you would suspect a leaking HPOP or fuel bowl seal (there are several...). A leak towards the rear area might be turbo pedestal or EBPV actuator.

As previously mentioned...the oil dipstick flange seal may be leaking also. If you find that is your problem then a reseal kit is available.
Oil Level Gauge Adapter Repair Kit for 1994 - 2003

Originally Posted by greenbeast7.3 (Post 12255988)
you can go to International dealer and get a rebuild kit for the hpop just did it. Dont goto ford to get it.

You can also get rebuild kits here:
1999-2003 Ford 7.3L

This past spring I decided to pull everything off and replace all the soft parts. No more leaks now. :-X04

I rebuilt the fuel bowl (replacing parker sleeves on fuel lines as well), replaced the HPOP o-rings (including the non-serviceable plug), replaced HPOP hoses and o-rings in the fittings, rebuild the EBPV, replaced the turbo pedestal o-rings and replaced the up-pipe donut gaskets. It took me the better part of a Saturday to get the work done. :-drink

samantha.hamrick 09-10-2012 04:37 PM

Ok, I found a pool of oil almost directly under the fuel filter. Would that be the forward retention area you spoke of? Do I have to take out the fuel filter
assembly to get a good look at the pump and check the hoses and seals, plugs ??? UUUGG

Bonanza35 09-10-2012 04:51 PM

No, just look real close to the HPOP and see where its coming from. It could be the high pressure lines or the plug on the HPOP. Thats the most comom places and a cheap fix if you do it your self.

Chet

samantha.hamrick 09-10-2012 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by lostinafog (Post 12255080)
simple green, super clean, purple power all good degreasers.
so you are saying the entire engine oil pan is covered in oil ? ifso not HPOP or lines as oil from them only will wet the engine valley & rear of pan & of course everything aft of that.
if you live or the truck came from area that used salt on the roads the oil pans are know to rust through.

so gota get er clean first.

Lost.....Simple green worked like a champ! love that stuff.

F350-6 09-10-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by samantha.hamrick (Post 12256708)
Ok, I found a pool of oil almost directly under the fuel filter. Would that be the forward retention area you spoke of? Do I have to take out the fuel filter
assembly to get a good look at the pump and check the hoses and seals, plugs ??? UUUGG

No, but you might as well plan on pulling the HPOP (just in front of the fuel bowl) so you can fix the leak at that rear plug that your mechanic nor the Ford dealer are competent enough to fix.

So far you're into this repair for a couple of dollars for the simple green. Spend another couple of dollars at High Pressure Oil Pump Repair Parts and you'll be back to a running truck with no oil leaks. The above link will come with instructions and pictures of how to change any parts you buy from him. We've been dealing with Bob for years and he's top notch and ships very quickly.