Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Transmission Problems on my 1988 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1188342-transmission-problems-on-my-1988-f150.html)

SomeoneTV 09-08-2012 05:28 PM

Transmission Problems on my 1988 F150

I have a 1988 F150 with an automatic transmission. Basically, whenever I try to accelerate from a full stop, the transmission does not want to engage first gear. Shifting to from first to second or higher goes smoothly. But, when the transmission tries to downshift back to first gear, the transmission takes a few seconds to engage. Interestingly, after driving it for a few miles and letting the transmission warm up, the transmission would shift to first gear normally. I want to know the possible causes for this and if there is a solution that does not involve getting my transmission replaced.

burnout400m 09-08-2012 06:56 PM

First off, what trans do you have? If you don't know look at the trans code on the door tag and find a decoder or post it up here.

Second, have you checked the trans fluid? There's a procedure to check it, you can't just check it like you'd do with the engine oil.

If you're still driving it to work and whatnot, stop until you get it figured out.

This is my 1,000th post on FTE. Hopefully is wasn't totally useless. :)

SomeoneTV 09-08-2012 11:33 PM

Thanks for the reply and on your 1000th post. My truck is a V8 5.0L (302) with a 4 speed automatic transmission. One thing I forgot to mention is that my truck got flooded once in the past year, and i had to get my gas tanks cleaned out and a fuel pump replaced. I will try to check the fluid tomorrow if I have time.

rla2005 09-12-2012 11:25 PM

Water is an enemy to the MLPS and Solenoid Pack connectors. Both of which are critical to proper transmission operation.

burnout400m 09-13-2012 07:02 AM

Well you probably have the AOD trans. Is there a switch to turn off OD on the dash to the right of the steering column? The trans code from the door tag would be very helpful because there's a few possibilities.

rla2005 09-13-2012 08:08 AM

Good catch there! For some reason I misread the OP's truck as a F250 which would more than likely have an E4OD trans. Burnout400m is correct, you could have an AOD or an E4OD. It would help to know what trans, you have.

SomeoneTV 09-15-2012 04:08 PM

I found the transmission code and it said it is a "T", which would make it an AOD transmission. I am wondering if there is a way to check the connectors, and how much would it cost to have the connectors replace.

danr1 09-15-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by SomeoneTV (Post 12274364)
I found the transmission code and it said it is a "T", which would make it an AOD transmission. I am wondering if there is a way to check the connectors, and how much would it cost to have the connectors replace.

See,

Ford AOD TV cable adjustment - YouTube

SomeoneTV 09-15-2012 08:32 PM

So, if I got this right, since my truck's transmission is an AOD, it uses a cable and spring to sense when to change gears instead of a sensor. Alright then, I'll look at the cable to check for corrosion or if its loose when I change the transmission fluid tomorrow as it finally cooled down outside to work on it.

Nathanl25 09-16-2012 10:12 AM

danr1,

I just have to thank you for that video, i literately just fixed an transmission issue that has been going on for at lest a year now. Just, by lifting a tab and pulling on that wire for a sec then push the tab back in place. my trans now shifts as smooth as silk rather than holding the gear way passed the prime time to shift (for normal driving) Tho I kinda liked it holding the gear when i miss treat the truck or towing something but i know how to fix that now.

And my transmission guy was going to charge me 150 just to look at it. :-roll

:-drink