Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum60/)
-   -   Problem with my 99 EB Radio Display (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/118764-problem-with-my-99-eb-radio-display.html)

buffett424 05-15-2003 08:24 AM

Problem with my 99 EB Radio Display

First of all, I am a new member, and thank you for such a great site!

My 99 Eddie Bauer's radio display just disappeared on me. Everything works fine, but it went off, then re-appeared a couple of days later, then went off again.

Has anyone had this happen? Any obvious fixes I might be missing?

Thanks!

PrPlayboy 05-15-2003 08:30 AM

I remember this being talked about. Do a search and see what comes up. I can't remember the specifics on the topic. Do you have a factory warrenty still?

buffett424 05-15-2003 09:12 AM

No, my warranty is over, but I am doing a search now to see what's out there.

buffett424 05-15-2003 09:41 AM

Well, a good number of the postings recommended removing the radio, checking the soldering, and pluging it back in.

Wouldn't you know, it worked!!:-X04

Let's see how long it lasts, thanks

PrPlayboy 05-15-2003 10:34 AM

lol glad it worked out for you.

optikal illushun 05-15-2003 08:56 PM

yup, same this happened to my moms old cougar, light went out and it was the connection. and on our taurus, the lights used to go out when it went over a major bump, but then it came on over another bump...then it just stayed on...weird...

buffett424 05-16-2003 12:11 PM

Well, I'm sorry to say, that less than 1 hour after I "fixed" the problem, it went out again!

Taking it apart, checking and tweaking the soldering, didn't work. now I'm back to square 1.

Any other fix ideas, I'm all ears (or eyes).

oshoguno 05-17-2003 04:51 PM

Hi, welcome to the board. The problem with the radio is the display power supply board. These boards came with cheap solder connections. If you are good with a solding gun then take out the radio and remove the faceplate and top cover. The power supply board is a small removable board beside the cd tray. can't miss it. Remove it and touch up all the solder joints. www.shareamemory.com/radio has specific instructions (I have never seen them and he charges $20 to get access to them). So you could go that way (save the pages or the info and pictures on the pages, that way you can help out other people here too, wink wink nudge nudge). You can ship the radio out to a number of places to have it fixed for about $100. Ebay also has ads for fixes (search for ford radio display and you should fine it). All these cost shipping too. I have had no luck in finding someone to sell me a new power supply board (it comes as part of a 3 board set but nobody wants my money). Good luck.

buffett424 05-18-2003 04:28 PM

Thank's for the tip. Yeah, I don't really want to give someone $20 for something I would share for free.

I tried your fix, and no luck, but I don't think I'm that good with sodering, so I'm going to find a buddy to help.

Thanks much for the suggestions, they are much appreciated.