Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   1997 F250 starting problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1186803-1997-f250-starting-problems.html)

JohnB. 09-01-2012 11:26 PM

1997 F250 starting problems

Here we go again.. So fellas, I have a 1997 7.3 automatic F250. I have accidentally drained the batteries a few times by accident(leaving headlights on) but always had it jumped off; sometimes taking 15+ min to jump.. well here's where my problem started. Went to work one day, truck running real real strong when I parked it. Got off work and went to start truck and it started but took literally a second longer to start(usually starts on first turn) but I didn't think anything of it just maybe battery getting weak. Went to start it the next day and nothing just a single click. Interior lights and everything power wise is working. Here's some steps I've tried. Jump truck(same exact noise after 15min of charge), removed and charged both batteries, took starter off and had it tested and was working, took voltage meter and checked batteries starter/solenoid and alt everything got the correct power, put a new solenoid mounted on fender wall in, tried to start truck in neutral, tried to use screw driver on solenoid to start, hooked jumper cables to starter itself... Nothing.. nothing at all.. now I had a friend test the voltage Comming off the starter when I tried to start it and when touched with both + and - it would make more noise then before instead of the 1 click it would make a constant noise. I'm really thinking its the starter but it tested positive.. I've searched it and I've tried everything.... Any ideas?

glovemeister 09-01-2012 11:37 PM

How new are the batteries? I don't go more than 4 years on mine.

oldbird1965 09-01-2012 11:39 PM

My starter tested fine, don't believe it. Get a new starter.

JohnB. 09-01-2012 11:53 PM

Batteries are actually old(5years) but I went to store and bought 2 new ones and the exact same king happened, same noise no start no better. Now new batteries are next on my list dont get me wrong, but i want to get this problem solved first... Just bought the truck 2 months ago! :-hair. And yea the guy at autozone said "man your starter is really strong, its like new". As far as I know its the original starter but he said it was really strong and stood by it but again I don't know what else it could be but a starter and I'm just about to go buy one tomorrow..

fordpride 09-01-2012 11:57 PM

There is no way to really test a starter. You can do the same test the part store does with a pair of jumper cables. The part store test doesn't put a load on the starter.

glovemeister 09-01-2012 11:58 PM

When you hook your starter to battery cables does it spin and then also engage aka bendix spin out? I really doubt I would trust AutoZone those guys are not the best around. I've had starters test good and then fail that particular test and I purchased a new one.

maverick1701 09-02-2012 01:47 AM

Just another thought....which battery do you jump to. One battery has larger wires specifically for jump-starting.
If you have been jumping to the wrong side it might have created some strange electrical issues.

FI460 09-02-2012 02:00 AM

Try a different battery. Both of mine said 12.5v so I figured my starter was dead. Replaced it and nothing. Put one battery from my 6.0l in at it cranked just fine. Just because a battery says 12v doesnt mean it still has the amperage to crank the truck.

JohnB. 09-02-2012 06:20 AM

Fordpride: that explains some questions and concerns i had cause the thing was spinning when tested but when in truck won't do anything until hit/fiddled with. Glovemeister: When I self tested it; it would spin but wouldn't engage/pop out. When this happened I was going to try and test the starter solenoid that's on the starter itself but the parts store said if I tested it while on starter then it would test positive or fail anyways. Maverick1701: I always jump to the passenger side battery; I also tried jumping to both batteries at the same time... Also took both batteries off and charged both of them and the were already at 100%. Fo460: I went and bought 2 new batteries 2 days ago and it did the same exact thing... According to the volt meter test theres power getting every where, battered, alternator,starter, solenoid.. not sure where else to test... But yea bought new batteries and nothing.. could it have been bad off the shelve? .thanks for all the replies guys, greatly appreciated

JohnB. 09-02-2012 06:22 AM

Sorry for not spacing the replies out, on my phone doing this and wouldn't let me tab etc..

JohnB. 09-02-2012 01:09 PM

Update; changed the starter and starts right up. Thanks for all replys and help guys appreciate it.

oldbird1965 09-02-2012 08:06 PM

I had a feeling, glad your going again. Did I ever say welcome?