Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Excursion Hutch Mod. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1185908-excursion-hutch-mod.html)

Kdr358 08-28-2012 11:39 PM

Excursion Hutch Mod.

I am pretty sure the procedure is the same but the only difference being is the Ex has the tank mounted a bit differently. I also plan on using the Driven Diesel kit as it s all ready to go. I have gotten sick of seeing large air bubbles in my fuel bowl while I turn the key ON. The truck has 280,000 miles on it and I think this will finally remove all the air and finally quiet down this noisy motor! (FRx installed already) . This is the kit I plan on ordering, any thoughts and anything else I should do or know before jumping into this? and Will it work with an excursion?

Driven Diesel 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit

1fixitman 08-29-2012 12:12 AM

The only difference that I know of is the EX tank is shorter than the truck tank but one of the first things you do when you pull the sender unit out is to measure from the top of the sender unit to the bottom of the pickup foot so you can make sure your mod is equal length when it is complete. You may want to purchase an additional pickup foot from dieselorings.com just in case your pickup foot is in pieces on the bottom of your tank. here is the link FORD Fuel Tank Pickup Foot Original Equipment
Remember to do the Harpoon mod while you are in the tank. You can use your installed fuel pump to empty most of the tank by using some 5/16 or 3/8 fuel line. I think I purchased 5/16. You are going to need a fuel disconnect tool if you do that. It is the 3/8 inch fuel line disconnect tool. It can be purchased at Harbor freight or NAPA. Maybe other Automotive stores Like Advance Auto or Orielleys. When I turn my key to the on position my fuel pump starts. Run your tank low before you start this mod. I am sure you have heard these things before but I am just reminding you. Lots of fun to be had.
Dwayne

Stewart_H 08-29-2012 01:13 AM

That's the same kit I'm running on my Ex. It's a good kit.

Also, as Dwayne stated, don't forget to Harpoon that sucker.

Stewart

Kdr358 09-09-2012 08:42 PM

Well I finally did the hutch mod yesterday! I quickly noticed a huge difference in power, as well as most of my injector noise went away! I know the injector cackle will always remain on a 7.3 but the fact its not as loud calms my nerves. The tank itself was easy to remove, with the biggest pain releasing the quick disconnects. The amount of crud in the mixing chamber really surprised me. Overall the only problem I had was with one hose clamp stripped on me, and the Fuel line included in the kit was rather hard to slip over the flare on the feed line. I was able to get enough on to get two clamps on but I was almost bending the tube pushing on it. Everything else was a breeze! I went through and replaced the filler neck hoses as well and did the harpoon mod.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...7/IMG_1626.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...7/IMG_1631.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...7/IMG_1629.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...7/IMG_1628.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...7/IMG_1627.jpg

It feels good to not have to worry about air in my injectors anymore! The "hammering" on my FRx also went away completely.

F350-6 09-09-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 12214621)

Also, as Dwayne stated, don't forget to Harpoon that sucker.

Stewart

There was nothing to harpoon in the one I just did. The vent only stuck about 3/4" into the tank. Lots of crap in the bottom of the tank. Maybe the hose dissolved?

Originally Posted by Kdr358 (Post 12254223)
The tank itself was easy to remove, with the biggest pain releasing the quick disconnects.

Really? The biggest pain I had was dealing with the filler hose and getting it and the vent hose off and back on. Especially getting them back on.

Kdr358 09-09-2012 11:26 PM

I only got about 2 inches off the hoses in the tank. Mine wasn't too dirty as most of it was in the mixing chamber already! The vent hose was pretty much stuck to the metal so I just cut both of them since I had the tank down, I just put new hoses on. The quick disconnects where a bit tricky due to the 12 year 280,000 salt driven miles but, they eventually came off. I made sure to vacuum off the top of the tank so when the ring came off all the sand, dirt and, rust pieces didn't fall in! I think everyone should do this mod! Now that the hutch mod is out of the way I have the FRx installed as well. There should be no more air! Does anyone know how long before I replace the Baldwin BF1212 filter?

lfthrdr 12-24-2017 10:57 AM

Part Number for rubber hoses coming from the fill and vent lines to top of the tank

I know this is an old thread but I know at least a couple of the contributors are still on FTE, so I am giving this a shot . . .

So after 7 years of having my 01 Excursion, I decided to tackle the hutch and harpoon mod yesterday. Everything so far has gone smoothly (both mods completed), but after dropping the tank I soon realized I need to replace the rubber hoses which lead from the metal fill and vent lines to the top of the tank. There are no holes or leaks but they are extremely weathered and the outside coating is "crumbly". I figure since the tank is down I would go ahead and replace them.

Any idea on if there is a place to buy the specific hoses, because it looks like they need to be preformed and not just regular rubber fuel hose? I did find a website called Filler Neck Supply which sells the two hoses for $40.00 plus shipping but, at least in the picture, its hard to tell if they are pre-formed correctly. Is this the best route to go or is there a place to get them quicker? Here is the link to the hoses . . .

1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Excursion Fuel Fill Hoses

A couple of the posts in here mentioned they replaced the hoses so I am curious where you guys purchased the hoses. If you just purchased regular fuel hose what two sizes did you purchase? Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas.

Sous 12-24-2017 11:01 AM

This is what I used, but bought a roll off Ebay for a deep discount.

It is not preformed or molded in anyway and worked great.

Colorado350 12-24-2017 11:20 AM

Holy thread resurrection !

lfthrdr 12-24-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17678363)
This is what I used, but bought a roll off Ebay for a deep discount.

https://www.amazon.com/247-BARRICADE.../dp/B01FN05JS4

It is not preformed or molded in anyway and worked great.

Thanks for the response but just to be sure I am clear -- I don't need the 3/8" fuel line. I need the two rubber hoses coming off of the top of the tank that clamp on to the metal fill and vent tubes leading down from the filler neck. One hose is approx. 1 1/2" inside diameter (clamps to the fill line) the other is approx 1" diameter (clamps to the vent line).

Just need to know if the link I posted in my earlier post will work or whether I can just get straight fuel filler hose from the auto store (much quicker). Or maybe there is another option, I am just missing.

Colorado350 12-24-2017 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by lfthrdr (Post 17678356)
I know this is an old thread but I know at least a couple of the contributors are still on FTE, so I am giving this a shot . . .

So after 7 years of having my 01 Excursion, I decided to tackle the hutch and harpoon mod yesterday. Everything so far has gone smoothly (both mods completed), but after dropping the tank I soon realized I need to replace the rubber hoses which lead from the metal fill and vent lines to the top of the tank. There are no holes or leaks but they are extremely weathered and the outside coating is "crumbly". I figure since the tank is down I would go ahead and replace them.

Any idea on if there is a place to buy the specific hoses, because it looks like they need to be preformed and not just regular rubber fuel hose? I did find a website called Filler Neck Supply which sells the two hoses for $40.00 plus shipping but, at least in the picture, its hard to tell if they are pre-formed correctly. Is this the best route to go or is there a place to get them quicker? Here is the link to the hoses . . .

1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Excursion Fuel Fill Hoses

A couple of the posts in here mentioned they replaced the hoses so I am curious where you guys purchased the hoses. If you just purchased regular fuel hose what two sizes did you purchase? Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas.

I looked on Rock Auto and Parts.com...neither had the fill hose. Looks like the link you listed is the correct parts. The picture may just be a "stock" picture not necessarily what you're going to get, meaning the correct part will have the right shape.

lfthrdr 12-25-2017 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 17678985)
I looked on Rock Auto and Parts.com...neither had the fill hose. Looks like the link you listed is the correct parts. The picture may just be a "stock" picture not necessarily what you're going to get, meaning the correct part will have the right shape.

Thanks Colorado350 for taking the time to respond and do a little research. I suppose I will go ahead and order the hoses from the link and just have to wait for them.