Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2011 to 2019 Explorer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum269/)
-   -   2013 Explorer Sport Makes 365 Horsepower (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1185782-2013-explorer-sport-makes-365-horsepower.html)

Ford-Trucks Editors 08-28-2012 01:34 PM

2013 Explorer Sport Makes 365 Horsepower

Read about it here: 2013 Explorer Sport Makes 365 Horsepower

With the V8 no longer a part of the Explorer line, Ford is making due with the twin-turbo EcoBoost V6that they use in the Taurus SHO and other trucks.

dundonrl 09-20-2012 02:58 PM

it's FWD based, no thank you...

kermmydog 02-26-2013 07:07 PM

QUESTION???

I was in Nevada ay a McDonalds when a Nevada Highway Patrol pulled in next to me. He was driving a new Explorer.
I talked briefly with him. He said the Explorer was going to replace the Crown Vic in Nevada. Nevada also used the Chargers.
Has anyone else seen Explorers for law enforcement? & what are the police packages consist of? Are they using the 365 hp EB?

Thanks
Craig

powerstroke72 02-26-2013 08:01 PM

The Interceptor Utility vehicles are everywhere. There are several agencies here using them now. They aren't using the EcoBoost engine but the 3.7 V6 rated at 305 HP instead. They're available in front wheel drive or all wheel drive.

More reading here:http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc...odels/utility/

And there is a ton of info available in a Google search.

kermmydog 02-26-2013 08:21 PM

John, Thanks for the link. I just hadn't seen one until yesterday when that NHP pulled in next to me.
That kind of explains the reason Ford is building both the Explorer & Edge. Someone asked that question on this forum awhile back.
Thanks,
Craig

powerstroke72 02-26-2013 08:28 PM

You're welcome.:-X22

It's actually a pretty neat vehicle. The local sheriff's office ordered two that just came in at our local dealership, along with three of the new Interceptor sedans (read Taurus). Several of the local agencies running these have them painted up in black and white and they look pretty sharp.

I'm not sure what we're going to yet. We've still got several Crown Vics that haven't reached the required replacement mileage. I think our new Chief wants to go with Chargers but several of us are trying to talk him into the Taurus in AWD. With the limited amounts of snow we usually get, the AWD could be a great alternative to having to maintain SUVs in the fleet so the patrol folks will have something to drive in inclement weather. The new Taurus AWD Interceptor could literally kill two birds with one stone.;)

On another note, I saw that the Alaska State Troopers are now using the Taurus Interceptors. It was on a new episode of AST the other night.

tseekins 02-27-2013 05:21 AM

The city that I deliver mail in, Newport News, Va has a couple Taurus Interceptors, they look mean as hell with local PD paint and lights.

My daughter saw an Explorer in Chicago last summer, it was likely the 3.7L version but she said she had to do a double look as she didn't recognize it at first.

jdadamsjr 03-26-2013 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We just traded the wife's Audi Q5 turbo 4 in on a 13 sport....

She is tinkled pink - the Audi was NICE but even tuned it was only 270 or so hp....

this explorer on regular gas is 365hp and 350 lbft !!!! twin turbo v6 -
premium and tuning here we come :)

going to have to take some pics as all the web shows is the red or white...
she, of course, ordered the black one... just like her audi, just like her previous audi, just like her charger, just like..... :)

2013 Ford Explorer Sport Front Three Quarters Photo 1

on edit - found one :

powerstroke72 03-26-2013 09:11 PM

Congrats....VERY NICE!:-X22

krewat 03-27-2013 07:36 AM

So is the Explorer Sport really "4WD" as in FWD until you turn the knob?

Or is it like my SHO where it's AWD - mostly FWD until you hit the go-pedal? }>

Recently came across some Wikipedia article where it says the Explorer and the Taurus share the same Volvo-based platform.

Tim Young 04-16-2013 12:03 AM

Man I like the red one!:-X22