Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   223 is beat down (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1184962-223-is-beat-down.html)

99hosss 08-24-2012 07:26 PM

223 is beat down

Hey guys, the 223 is beat up bad wore out, I'm ready to make the big move to a V-8. Will ya'll please help me with which V-8 to swap in? I really just want a 302 to gain better access to parts, and I don't know which years' motors will drop in and bolt up to my 4 spd. I guess it is a t-98. HELP! thank yall, I will literally do what the forum suggests. This 60 f250 is a beater my wife will pick up hay/feed in. Don has a few pics if interested. have a great weekend guys

f5fordgirl 08-24-2012 08:17 PM

The only engine that will just drop in, is another 223. Even with a Y block V8 you need a different bellhousing and front mount. There are mounts that lets you put a 302 in, but don't think the trans will work.

99hosss 08-24-2012 10:32 PM

Thanks, yeah, I was worried about that, I'll figure somethin out

GB SISSON 08-25-2012 10:36 AM

A few years back I put a 302 in a '40 ford 1 1/2 ton. It came from a '70s 1/2 ton so I just used the 4 spd trans that it was already bolted to. I even used the engine mounts and the trans crossmember from the donor with some alterations. It was really quite simple and it was my first engine swap. Some things I read made an issue about the oil pan and axle clearance, but mine being a big truck had plenty of height so it didn't matter. Just jump in, it's really fun and challenging, and that 302 made a great truck out of that '40. Just for the record, I didn't pull the flathead v8 out of the '40. The PO had already done that and stuck a 401 cu in Buick nailhead in it with an auto trans. Total hillbilly job of it and when I got it running you could hear it knocking from a 1/2 mile away. Good Luck!

99hosss 08-25-2012 06:53 PM

thanks GB, I would like to do just that- drop a set up complete like that- I guess I would have to cut my driveshaft down tho- thanks for the courage/advice

GB SISSON 08-25-2012 07:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
On my fridge truck diesel conversion I got lucky. The '92 sterling rear axle had a bigger driveshaft than the '59, so I ran in some spacers (ok, they're 1/4-20 stove bolts) about a foot apart and telescoped the two shafts together. It was a tap together with a brass hammer fit, and it allowed me to get the perfect length, right in place on the truck. The ring at the weld joint is a piece of 2 1/2" pipe that fit nicely onto the smaller shaft, so I welded it in place and plugged the splines into the tranny, let out the clutch and I had a 4 speed lathe. I used the angle grinder to turn down the OD of the pipe until it fit nicely into the bigger driveshaft. I took a freeway trip a couple weeks ago and hit 65 a lot of the time and no vibration. I guess I could have gotten it done at a shop for a hundred bucks or so, but that's another trip or two off the island. I figure about the worst that could happen is the weld breaks and the two shafts just spin within each other and I coast to a stop.......I await the report on your engine swap.

99hosss 09-01-2012 09:04 AM

Thanks GB that was interesting- I'm a big fan of "gettin it done" that was great- not sure what is gonna happen with my 60- just rebuilt the carb- still does the same thing- idle for 2 min. then cough, cut off. Sure would like to get a new carb- I'll keep ya posted