Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   CA bill to create legacy license plates (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1183225-ca-bill-to-create-legacy-license-plates.html)

76Hauler 08-16-2012 10:44 PM

CA bill to create legacy license plates

check this out, sounds kool!

California Bill to Create Legacy License Plate Program Moves to Governor

A/Ox4 08-17-2012 04:17 AM

Ive seen things like this come and go before. The kicker is this

A.B. 1658 requires that at least 7,500 applications for any one particular plate must be received by the DMV on or before January 1, 2015.
There was an EMS plate proposed that failed to meet that margin by a HUGE number. They only got about 10% of the required number. The reason for it is because you have to pay for the plate in advance. 7,500 people need to pay for a plate, that they dont know for sure that they will get. Its hard to convince people to do that. I would imagine that this one might have more momentum, but I would still be surprised to see it go into production. Just because the bill passes, doesnt mean we will get the plates.

http://www.norcalems.org/news/201101...h_files/67.gif

In January 2008, the Department of Motor Vehicles authorized EMSA to collect orders for a license plate featuring the EMS Star of Life symbol to recognize healthcare professionals who work in the emergency setting and raise funds for EMS charitable purposes. In order to create the license plate, at least 7,500 prepaid applications must have been received within one year and that participation rate must be maintained annually.

Unfortunately, the EMS license plate orders did not reach the required minimum despite a one-time one-year extension so the program will come to a close as of December 1, 2010. EMSA will send a refund to everyone who ordered an EMS license plate. If you do not receive a refund within 60 days, please call Adam Morrill at (916) 322-4336 ext. 436 to inquire.

Nighteyez 08-18-2012 10:38 AM

Interesting. I have already seen a brand new yellow on black plate on a late model Ford pickup. Must have transferred it from his old car/truck.

Jim

A/Ox4 08-18-2012 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nighteyez (Post 12179648)
Interesting. I have already seen a brand new yellow on black plate on a late model Ford pickup. Must have transferred it from his old car/truck.

Jim

Many people paint their new ones. This I however, of course, illegal.

Nighteyez 08-18-2012 09:27 PM

I don't think I would want the hassle of getting caught with painted plates. LOL

Jim

76f350spercamprspeal 08-29-2012 06:47 PM

I sure hope this bill passes. I always thought that if you have a old vehicle you could get reproductions of the old plate.
But it wouldn't at all surprise me if this was not the case...
I believe the Blue Background/Yellow Lettering plates, both of which my trucks have were first used on Passenger Vehicles in 1971.

wpnaes 08-29-2012 09:29 PM

Vehicle registration plates of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A/Ox4 08-29-2012 09:31 PM

And..... thats why I dont think it will pass. They would have to make too many types of new license plates.

bpounds 08-30-2012 10:54 AM

The bill specifically limits it to the 3 previous versions, so I don't think the much older ones will be an issue. I do think it will pass, but Trey may be right that getting 7,500 people to pay up, with no promise of results, may not happen.

This is just more CA BS. They should just open this up to the free market. Define the colors, dimensions, and tolerances, and let the market fill this need. It is a simple design specification.

76Hauler 10-01-2012 08:34 PM

so, is this gonna happen? did we win??

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=600 align=center bg***************><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">http://echo.bluehornet.com/cimages/b...N_LegAlert.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=590 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>
(UPDATE)

California Bill to Create Legacy License Plate Program
Signed Into Law

Governor Jerry Brown signed into law legislation (A.B. 1658) to establish the California Legacy License Plate Program. Under the new law, the DMV will create and issue a series of specialized license plates that replicate plates from the state's past. Previously, classic car owners could only revive well-maintained old plates that match the vintage of their vehicle. Among other things, the new law will bring a retro look to modern license plates by allowing consumers to choose from one of three classic designs from the 1950s-1960s (black lettering on yellow background or yellow lettering on black background) and 1970s-1980s (yellow lettering on blue background). The law requires that at least 7,500 applications for any one particular plate must be received by the DMV on or before January 1, 2015.
Thank you and congratulations to all who participated in supporting the bill.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=600 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>
Terms under which this service is provided to you: sema.org/disclaimer
SEMA's mailing address: 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765
Copyright 2009. Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
</CENTER>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A/Ox4 10-01-2012 08:37 PM

The bill passed. The DMV will need 7,500 number of prepaid applications before issuing the plates.
We have won the battle but the war is not over.

Does this mean we are all going to vote NO on the early release proposition on the ballot so we have people to make these new license plates? :-X04

NumberDummy 10-04-2012 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal (Post 12217075)
I sure hope this bill passes. I always thought that if you have a old vehicle you could get reproductions of the old plate.

But it wouldn't at all surprise me if this was not the case...
I believe the Blue Background/Yellow Lettering plates, both of which my trucks have were first used on Passenger Vehicles in late 1969.

I recall seeing new 1970 Mavericks, introduced June 1969, with blue plates. Black commercial plates were issued thru mid-year 1971, then blue commercial plates began to be issued.

Previous CA blue plate with yellow letters: 1939, marked: California Worlds Fair. CA plates thru 1955 are a different shape than 1956 thru today plates.

There are people locally that make repro's of black plates in either aluminum or plastic. Some people that have the newer white plates have repro black plates made with the same number, then install them using the correct month/year stickers.

Is it illegal? As long as the license number matches the registration...who knows?

A/Ox4 10-04-2012 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 12340741)
I recall seeing new 1970 Mavericks, introduced June 1969, with blue plates. Black commercial plates were issued thru mid-year 1971, then blue commercial plates began to be issued.

Previous CA blue plate with yellow letters: 1939, marked: California Worlds Fair.

There are people locally that make repro's of black plates in either aluminum or plastic. Some people that have the newer white plates have repro black plates made with the same number, then install them using the correct month/year stickers.

Is it illegal? As long as the license number matches the registration...who knows?

Yes it is. And I dont want to be caught with fake plates as it is punished by imprisonment of a minimum of 1 year.

Originally Posted by V.C. Section 4463: False Evidences and Uses of Documents Licenses Devices Placards or Plates
4463. (a) A person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment (1) pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the ( )2 Penal Code for 16 months or two or three years, or by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year:

(1) Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit provided for by this code or a comparable certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit provided for by a foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent an endorsement of transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to be displayed or have in his or her possession a blank, incomplete, canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit.

(2) Utters, publishes, passes, or attempts to pass, as true and genuine, a false, altered, forged, or counterfeited matter listed in paragraph (1) knowing it to be false, altered, forged, or counterfeited.

SteveBricks 10-05-2012 07:10 AM

I don't think it's illegal, at least not under that section. The "intent to prejudice, damage, or defraud" is a necessary element of the crime, so absent that there is no violation.

Originally Posted by CVC 4463.5
(a) No person shall manufacture or sell a decorative or facsimile license plate of a size substantially similar to the license plate issued by the department.

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the director may authorize the manufacture and sale of decorative or facsimile license plates for special events or media productions.

(c) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than five hundred dollars ($500).

This one seems to make it a misdemeanor to manufacture except under certain circumstances, but it says nothing about possession.

bpounds 06-13-2014 03:28 PM

Revival Meeting!!!

Looks like the Yellow on Black plates have sold the required 7,500 applications.

CA Legacy Plates

Black on Yellow and Yellow on Blue are lagging pretty far below the threshold. With only 6 months to go, doesn't look good for those.

OldBlackCat 06-13-2014 03:42 PM

i wanna say i seen a nice shiny new yellow on black cal plate on a chevy volt today in the brentwood area.......

bpounds 06-13-2014 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat (Post 14428383)
i wanna say i seen a nice shiny new yellow on black cal plate on a chevy volt today in the brentwood area.......

Now that is just wrong!

This is why we can't have nice things in CA.

OldBlackCat 06-13-2014 03:57 PM

i was going to walk over to take a close look.... but i just wanted to get the hell out of brentwood while i still had a chance....

A/Ox4 06-13-2014 05:20 PM

People have been known to paint their plates retro colors. Not generally on a volt though...

bpounds 06-17-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat (Post 14428383)

It was probably just charred from a faulty ignition switch fire.

OldBlackCat 06-17-2014 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 14437913)
It was probably just charred from a faulty ignition switch fire.

}>}>}>}>}>}>}>}>}>}>

10 evil grins..... just so i can reply lol.....
"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

wpnaes 06-20-2014 07:13 AM

After one spends 50$ for the plate, is there any add'l fee per year? I didn't read the fine print (and CA needs to pay for the 2049 bullet train)...

bpounds 06-20-2014 09:13 AM

$40/year renewal.

Legacy License Plates FAQs (English)

Also hidden in the FAQ is the fact that the plates won't be exact replicas. At a minimum they will be reflective, so it should be pretty easy to know if you're looking at an original or a replica.

wpnaes 06-23-2014 12:10 PM

Found this one down the street. Ralph didn't get them all.

Will share the pic tonight...

bpounds 06-23-2014 12:31 PM

Corvair?

wpnaes 06-23-2014 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Indeed Bill, the plates caught my eye.

bpounds 10-22-2016 10:32 PM

Resurrecting Lazarus thread...

Those yellow on black plates have really become very popular. I'm seeing them just about every day, and not on old vehicles either. They really pop on black cars.

wpnaes 10-23-2016 09:03 AM

Agree, they're handsome plates on a black vehicle.

OldBlackCat 10-24-2016 12:35 PM

at just the right angle in the sun they look like a deep metallic hunter green because of the reflective stuff on the black plates.