Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Parking Brake Light stays on (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1181465-parking-brake-light-stays-on.html)

mr.fordneck 08-09-2012 10:18 AM

Parking Brake Light stays on

So here's a recap of events. Yesterday, I painted my trucks frame, gas tanks, and rusty floor pans with POR15. I did paint the bracket next to the frame where the parking brake cable connects to. I also had the passenger rear tire off for a brake inspection but did not mess with the parking brake. I didn't see any electrical connection for the light anywhere near where I was painting. Now the light stays on whether I have the brake engaged or not. The brake is working fine. Ideas? Thanks. The light worked before yesterday

dixie460 08-09-2012 11:05 AM

Brake warning can come from 2 places. There's a limit switch at the parkin brake pedal and a level switch at the master cylinder reservoir. Disconnect the plugs on both of these, and the light should be out. Now connect one of them, if the light is on you found the problem.

Light on with just the brake reservoir switch connected = low brake fluid or switch is stuck.

Light on with just the switch at the park brake connected = park brake not released fully or switch is stuck.

GLOCKREAPER 08-09-2012 02:02 PM

The switch is stuck. Spray some lube on it.

It happened to mine too.

tjc transport 08-09-2012 05:44 PM

on my trucks, the springs on the pedal would weaken a bit. put a new spring on and it pulled the pedal up enough to turn the light out.

niner 08-09-2012 07:14 PM

Also, the switch that is on the parking brake works by grounding out the line. If that line got trapped anywhere and grounded out, that would result in a false reading.

I just pulled my switch and cleaned the surfaces last week - I had the opposite problem. My brake light wouldn't light when the parking brakes were set and unlike my smaller newer cars, the truck can overpower the rear brakes.

Brayden Nones 03-09-2020 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dixie460 (Post 12148655)
Brake warning can come from 2 places. There's a limit switch at the parkin brake pedal and a level switch at the master cylinder reservoir. Disconnect the plugs on both of these, and the light should be out. Now connect one of them, if the light is on you found the problem.

Light on with just the brake reservoir switch connected = low brake fluid or switch is stuck.

Light on with just the switch at the park brake connected = park brake not released fully or switch is stuck.

Tried both of these things and neither of them worked. Parking Brake light is still on. Any other suggestions?

torq'ta 5 8 03-09-2020 06:44 PM

you unplugged both at same time and light is still on, you have short in parking brake ground like stated above or in level sensor wiring