Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Eaton 2 speed rear end (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1181176-eaton-2-speed-rear-end.html)

4 eyes f600 08-07-2012 11:39 PM

Eaton 2 speed rear end

I have a 1960 F600 (VIN#F60CON16398) that's in good running condition except for a noise in the rear end when you let off of the gas petal; does not make noise when going up hill or under load. The previous owner owned it for 10 yrs. and said it made the noise when he got the truck and that he has been told that it was normal wear and it would not hurt the rear end as long as it had plenty of gear oil in it which it has. I have been told the same thing by people that I know but I am not sure if this correct advice or not. My question is; should I go after this noise problem, and if so,where can gears, bearings, etc. be found? Everything else on this truck works great and I plan on keeping it for a long time. I bought it local and know it has been taken care of. The numbers stamped on the Eaton 2 speed axle are 49275 which is an Eaton corresponding carrier assembly no. I could not find this no. in my book to cross referance it to an Eaton Model no. It's stamped with a 5.83 ratio. Also stamped on the casting was E9BC with the "C" stamped backward. I assume this is a casting no. or something. Thanks for any help!!!

spurredon 08-08-2012 06:24 PM

Sounds like it might just be bearings. If you quiet down the rear end you will probably start to hear noises from the other parts of the truck that want your attention. Do you haul a lot with it? If so, change them out. Otherwise just turn up the radio and enjoy the truck. I would think once you had them out you could get NAPA or someone of that nature to match them up. By the way, is this the rear end with the square axel tubes?

Welcome to FTE!

4 eyes f600 08-08-2012 08:44 PM

Talked with the previous owner today and he said he took the truck to "Gear Train" in Charlotte, NC a couple years ago and they checked it out (without taking anything apart) and said the bearings were ok and it probably could be fixed with shims. The truck is otherwise in great shape. Top end of engine has been rebuilt; no smoke, good oil pressure, don't use any oil, new brakes all around; no play in steering; etc. That is the only reason I might would consider fixing the rear end; because it's in such good shape. I haven't hauled any real heavy loads yet and probably will not very often but the previous owner says it has hauled heavy loads of tember and drives better loaded. I know the previous owner and he is a straight shooter. No square axle tubes. THANKS for your reply! By the way; 4 eyes f600 is not because I wear glasses but is the name I gave my old truck because it has 4 headlights.

willowbilly3 08-09-2012 04:23 AM

It sounds like the preload on the pinion bearings has went away (probably from bearing wear). That allows the pinion to walk into or away from the ring gear and make noise.

spurredon 08-09-2012 05:25 PM

I bet the nut on the pinion shaft will be a bear to loosen to retorque!:p

The shop manual shows two different 2-speed Eatons being used in F600's. Eaton 13602 and Eaton 13800. They both have the same torque value of 325-450 Ft. lbs. for the pinion shaft nut!

4 eyes f600 08-09-2012 08:16 PM

I'm sure you are right about being a bear to remove. I have a shop manual for 1960 trucks and I see the same 2 Eaton model nos. What I can't figure out is the 49275 that is stamped on my axle does not match either of these 2 Eaton model nos. My book shows for the 13602 should be stamped(46058) and for the 13800 should be stamped(46060). I'm sure nothing has been changed on the rear end of this truck. If anyone can explain this please let me know. THANKS very much for your input! If I have this problem fixed it's not something that I would try to tackle I just need to find someone that I could trust to fix it right.