Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum64/)
-   -   Power steering pump boils fluid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1180514-power-steering-pump-boils-fluid.html)

sibernut 08-05-2012 03:15 PM

Power steering pump boils fluid

If I have your interest, I have a problem. Long story, but I am trying to use a ford pump to power a Hydro-boost off a diesel pickup, took everything off same truck. Started it up, ran ok for 5 mins & PS pump fluid boils. No PS box in the system, just the Hydro. Seems like the fluid is not getting out of the pump & circulating either. I figure a blocked pump discharge or blockage in the Hydro. I can shoot air backwards thru the hydro, too hot to touch the pressure side. I had the outlet nut off the pump, could I have blocked the discharge when I put it back?
Tks for any help!! (PLEASE!!)

Opossum 08-13-2012 11:56 PM

What did you do with the line that would have gone to the PS box?

Unlikely it's boiling more likely it's getting airated.

Could the pressure valve in the pump be blocked?

sibernut 08-14-2012 07:10 AM

Boils

Got it figured out, hydroboost was stuck. Line out from HB goes to return on pump. No boil now, but lines get REALLY hot, too hot to touch even the rubber part. I'll put in a cooler ASAP, but do you have any idea how hot is OK? I have a temp gun & will check mine.TKS!

Opossum 08-14-2012 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by sibernut (Post 12164491)
Got it figured out, hydroboost was stuck. Line out from HB goes to return on pump. No boil now, but lines get REALLY hot, too hot to touch even the rubber part. I'll put in a cooler ASAP, but do you have any idea how hot is OK? I have a temp gun & will check mine.TKS!

There are TWO lines out from the HB, only one should go back to the pump, the low pressure one with a hose nipple. The other high pressure one that would go to the steering needs to be blocked off. If that one is going back to the pump also then your constantly curculating high pressure fluid which will heat it up.

I'd figure about 200 degrees is a high limit.

The HB doesn't need much flow and the pump is always pumping. It has an internal pressure bypass to control it. Your likely much better off sevely underdriving the pump or just plain using a smaller one.

What is the application, how is it working out?

sibernut 08-14-2012 01:31 PM

NOW we're getting somewhere! I routed the HP line formerly to the steering to the return nipple on the pump, tee'd in with the (I assumed) relief line, the one w/ the low pressure type nipple on it.
Before I forget, the HB is installed on a 45 degree angle with the connectors DOWN, in other words 180 degrees from normal. I realize this may make bleeding difficult, but the ports are all on the high end
I am using this setup to power a hydraulic clutch master cyl on a semi, the clutch was getting impossible to push in. It's a Volvo, they come standard with this hyd clutch setup. I had to flip the HB due to clearance issues.
I'll go out & block the pressure type line out & see what happens tonite, also check the temp once running. You can use "paladin_ron@yahoo.com if you'd rather. We are leaving in a week for a vaca using this truck to pull a big RV trailer, I'm a little stressed to get it working right now. Tks for the replies!!

Opossum 08-14-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by sibernut (Post 12165536)
NOW we're getting somewhere! I routed the HP line formerly to the steering to the return nipple on the pump, tee'd in with the (I assumed) relief line, the one w/ the low pressure type nipple on it.

YUP that's your problem right there, the HB is designed to take priority flow but flow ALL the rest under high pressure to power the steering box. Your pushing the full flow potenatal of the pump around in a big circle. Also with it T'd in your blocking the return flow from the HB. Block off that other line and dedicate the return to the reservoir and I'm sure it will work MUCH better.

I am using this setup to power a hydraulic clutch master cyl on a semi, the clutch was getting impossible to push in. It's a Volvo, they come standard with this hyd clutch setup. I had to flip the HB due to clearance issues.

In this application is this stock as you set it up, or it had a similar but different setup stock?

The truck I can only assume has PS why aren't they one system?

Tks for the replies!!

Your welcome

sibernut 08-14-2012 02:31 PM

Volvo semi is stock w/hyd clutch. Didn't want to attempt running it off the truck system, VolvoTRW said 2100 lbs pressure & Ford said HB runs at 1250 max.
I don't think the pump is running that fast, 2000RPM max on the Cummins in it & pulley ratio looks very close to 1:1 w/ the crank. I'm driving it off an empty pulley w/a serp belt