Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum249/)
-   -   Harpoon/hutch/FRX/Fuel bowl delete in one kit (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1179022-harpoon-hutch-frx-fuel-bowl-delete-in-one-kit.html)

SSSimon 07-30-2012 05:58 AM

Harpoon/hutch/FRX/Fuel bowl delete in one kit

When I did the fuel bowl reseal, I took the opportunity to watch the fuel bowl fill up with fuel. I noticed a fair bit of foamy fuel coming into the bowl and so figured that when the Longranger-extended fuel tank was put into my truck by the PO he did NOT take the opportunity to do the harpoon & hutch mods.

So now I've got to drop the biggest F250 fuel tank on the planet, 270 litres, to do the job 'properly'.

Diesel Site has this kit:
http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...9-200373l.aspx

Plus - it's one kit, I've ordered from this site before without a hassle;
Minus - It doesn't contain the AirDog one pump/filter set up.

Clay doesn't seem to have a complete kit, including tank pick-ups and fuel bowl delete connectors, like this one.

Any thoughts on this?

ChunderDownUnder 08-01-2012 12:26 AM

why do you want an Airdog ???

just got this kit
Driven Diesel 7.3L Bowl Delete Regulated Return Kit

with post pump filter (2 micron). already have the prepump filter set up. Gunna run with my carter fuel pump and might try for a pre pump lifter.

You can source a prepump locally. with some fittings and hose you are good to go
http://www.westernfilters.net.au/pro...roducts_id=706

around 1100 AUD and you have the lot

SSSimon 08-01-2012 05:13 AM

I was looking at the Air-dog one to provide out of tank filtration and fuel push to the stock fuel pump. This avoids overloading the stock pump by making it suck fuel through from the tank and through a remote filter/water separator.

The Diesel-Site kit included the in-tank mods, but doesn't include a pre-filter pump.

On Driven-Diesel, they recommend a 2 micron filter after the stock pump for fuel bowl delete. That filter would catch any debris from a decaying stock pump I guess.

I would like to do the mod, but would also like to be confident that I have all the bits and pieces I need before I start the project.

I've emailed Clay to see if he is interested in putting something together for me as he is a supplier of the Air-Dog 1 pump-filter combo.

So Brian, are you just using the stock fuel pump and running the pre-pump filter-water seperator and inserting an inline 2 micro filter to replace the fuel bowl filter - so a one pump fuel system?

ChunderDownUnder 08-01-2012 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SSSimon (Post 12121870)
I was looking at the Air-dog one to provide out of tank filtration and fuel push to the stock fuel pump. This avoids overloading the stock pump by making it suck fuel through from the tank and through a remote filter/water separator.

The Diesel-Site kit included the in-tank mods, but doesn't include a pre-filter pump.

On Driven-Diesel, they recommend a 2 micron filter after the stock pump for fuel bowl delete. That filter would catch any debris from a decaying stock pump I guess.

I would like to do the mod, but would also like to be confident that I have all the bits and pieces I need before I start the project.

I've emailed Clay to see if he is interested in putting something together for me as he is a supplier of the Air-Dog 1 pump-filter combo.

So Brian, are you just using the stock fuel pump and running the pre-pump filter-water seperator and inserting an inline 2 micro filter to replace the fuel bowl filter - so a one pump fuel system?

Im planning on a lift pump then the carter and carrying a spare. Only because I want to get this thing running by Sept. I may go to a dual pump set up later on. I dont think the Airdog is worth the money

Ratkat 08-01-2012 10:12 PM

In my opinion the Air dog was worth every cent improved economy and performace in my truck. The performance change was like comparing it to running on a hot day to running on a cold day it is noticable. Can not remember what the economy was but I was impressed. I would not hesitate to fit one in the future to another truck.

Tugly 08-02-2012 05:03 AM

I don't have experience with an Air Dog, but I "read the brochure". Their video is misleading; the fuel doesn't flow that fast, so the tank would not be that aerated and agitated. The video exaggerates the problem, and misleads in another way: After the Hutch mod, my problem was the tired quick-disconnect to the tank introducing air. Just replacing the fuel lines got rid of the last of my air.

SSSimon 08-02-2012 05:33 AM

Hi Tugs, thanks for that. When I did my fuel bowl reseal I left the top off the bowl and watched the fuel coming in. It was very foamy. But I haven't done the in tank mods, i.e. hutch and harpoon. When I drop the tank I want to remove the stock strainers and go to an external water seperater & course filter set up, something like the Air-dog 1, and carry spare filters. The nice thing about the Air Dog is you get the pump and filters in one neat unit.

The aim would be then to insert a 2 micron filter in front of the stock fuel pump, put on a fuel bowl delete kit, and thus make the fuel system bio-diesel compatible. All diesel over here is already ULSD, which was what disolved the stock seals in the fuel bowl - mainly the 4 yellow ones 'sealing' the fuel bowl drain valve.

I haven't had any replies from my email enquiries to Clay at Riffraff or Diesel site yet. So far the best option I can come up with is the Driven Diesel system (Brian's link above) with the 'extras' + getting an Air Dog 1 - about $1400 worth + shipping (glad it's not as bulky as leaf springs or an exhaust system which were my previous orders).

ChunderDownUnder 08-02-2012 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ratkat (Post 12125062)
In my opinion the Air dog was worth every cent improved economy and performace in my truck. The performance change was like comparing it to running on a hot day to running on a cold day it is noticable. Can not remember what the economy was but I was impressed. I would not hesitate to fit one in the future to another truck.

Hey Geoff. Do you have a way of checking Fuel psi at WOT runs. Thats where the problem has been noted with the Airdog. They just cant keep up.

SSSimon 08-03-2012 06:27 AM

AirDog 1 is for stock to mild. AirDog 2 is their 'race spec' offering, pumps 50% more fuel than the 1, but causes problems in a stock truck as the stock fuel return line cannot cope with the volume of fuel NOT being used by the engine - resulting in a pressure build up.

Brian, with your truck you'd probably have to go for the Air Dog 2 and upgrade your fuel return line for when you're NOT pushing the pedal to the floor! When you did push it, the extra volume from 2 would cope with your engine's fuel demands.

One other question, that fuel bowl delete kit you posted, does that have a 1/4 inch NPT port for a fuel gauge?

ChunderDownUnder 08-03-2012 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by SSSimon (Post 12129010)
AirDog 1 is for stock to mild. AirDog 2 is their 'race spec' offering, pumps 50% more fuel than the 1, but causes problems in a stock truck as the stock fuel return line cannot cope with the volume of fuel NOT being used by the engine - resulting in a pressure build up.

Brian, with your truck you'd probably have to go for the Air Dog 2 and upgrade your fuel return line for when you're NOT pushing the pedal to the floor! When you did push it, the extra volume from 2 would cope with your engine's fuel demands.

One other question, that fuel bowl delete kit you posted, does that have a 1/4 inch NPT port for a fuel gauge?

1/8 NPT Simon

tiny1 08-03-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SSSimon (Post 12125563)
I haven't had any replies from my email enquiries to Clay at Riffraff or Diesel site yet.

Simon, I believe that Clay is at the All Truck Nationals this weekend which is a very large show of everything dealing with what else.... trucks! That maybe the reason why he has not responded to your inquiry.

SSSimon 08-04-2012 04:45 AM

Clay's replied. Basically for a stock situation Clay recommends the in tank mods (hutch/harpoon) and the FRx - regulated fuel return. Nothing else really necessary.

I'm still not sure though if the stock fuel system, including fuel bowl, will cope with B50 or B100 bio-diesel - this is why I was looking to upgrade the fuel system.

SSSimon 08-09-2012 06:38 AM

Clay advises that the stock fuel bowl will handle bio-diesel - which is in pretty common usage in his region.

For the moment I'm going with the tank mods, taking out the in-tank filter-strainer, and mounting the external Western Filters filter/water seperator unit (that Brian recommended above), then use a FRx as the simple air/foam bleeder to handle any non-solid fuel getting through the stock fuel bowl.