Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Correct spare tire hanging (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1178805-correct-spare-tire-hanging.html)

jowilker 07-29-2012 10:24 AM

Correct spare tire hanging

May seem like a dumb question to many, but how do you load the spare tire under the truck? For a lack of a better term, let's call it shiny side.

Do you load it up or down?

John :-X06

crawdad 07-29-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jowilker (Post 12111141)
May seem like a dumb question to many, but how do you load the spare tire under the truck? For a lack of a better term, let's call it shiny side.

Do you load it up or down?

I've actually never took my spare out, but on my other trucks, I always loaded it with the valve stem down so I could keep a check on air pressure. Is that what you're talking about?

danorules 07-29-2012 11:46 AM

I believe its mounted with the inside of the tire facing down.that way the rim doesn't form a bowl to collect salt and dirt.
But crawdads method seems better for maintenance. I've always dropped the tire, checked the pressure, and lubed the mechanism all at once.

jowilker 07-29-2012 12:04 PM

Thanks guys, I found a bottle jack handle out in the shed from a bygone era shoved it in the hole and mounted the wheel. So I'm thinking year specific don 't count for much on that part.

That may help finding a scissor jack for the truck.

I'm going to get the needed parts. :-jammin

crawdad 07-31-2012 01:19 PM

I just found the jack handle underneath the rear seat of my truck. Thought it was gone but it was on the opposite side as the jack. Anyway, I found the jacking instructions in the pouch and it said to raise the tire with the "stem" facing up. I then lowered my spare to check pressure and, sure enough, the stem was up. The spare looked like it had never been lowered before either. I still think I'm going to put the stem side down though. Of course I might tear it off going through some high rut dirt roads, but, like I said earlier, it makes it easier for me to keep an eye on spare pressure. Besides, I'm getting too old and stiff to be raising and lowering that spare all the time. :-X04

jowilker 07-31-2012 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by crawdad (Post 12119222)
I just found the jack handle underneath the rear seat of my truck. Thought it was gone but it was on the opposite side as the jack. Anyway, I found the jacking instructions in the pouch and it said to raise the tire with the "stem" facing up. I then lowered my spare to check pressure and, sure enough, the stem was up. The spare looked like it had never been lowered before either. I still think I'm going to put the stem side down though. Of course I might tear it off going through some high rut dirt roads, but, like I said earlier, it makes it easier for me to keep an eye on spare pressure. Besides, I'm getting too old and stiff to be raising and lowering that spare all the time. :-X04

I think you can rig an electric motor under there so all you have to do is flip a switch.