Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Installing OEM brake controller (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1178213-installing-oem-brake-controller.html)

1spitfire 07-26-2012 12:01 PM

Installing OEM brake controller

Has anyone installed the OEM brake controller in a truck that did not have a tow package? I purchased the controller and the wiring pigtail to change from a 4 pin to a 7 pin plug. Everything hooks up but I have discovered that the wire to run the electric brakes is not in the OEM wiring under the truck. Can I just add this blue wire and make the OEM controller work? Has anyone done this? The truck is an 2012

BigDfromTN 07-26-2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1spitfire (Post 12101871)
Has anyone installed the OEM brake controller in a truck that did not have a tow package? I purchased the controller and the wiring pigtail to change from a 4 pin to a 7 pin plug. Everything hooks up but I have discovered that the wire to run the electric brakes is not in the OEM wiring under the truck. Can I just add this blue wire and make the OEM controller work? Has anyone done this? The truck is an 2012

I am not sure of the answer to your question. BUT for clarification... The blue wire you are asking about. Is it at the 7way RV plug? (thats what im thinking your asking)
And does your truck have the connector under the dash for the OEM TBC? If so, you will still need a couple of fuse/relays to plug into the fuse box and then have the computer updated to recognize and operate the TBC.

Im sure others will be along soon that are more knowledgable.

1spitfire 07-26-2012 03:16 PM

Yes the blue wire is on the 7 way plug. I've got everything hooked up and I know I have to take it to the dealer to have it flashed but I'm still not sure if it will work. My truck came from the factory with only 4 way wiring. I've got the fuse and the relay also but I think that is only for charging a battery.

meborder 07-26-2012 04:19 PM

the way i understand it, the factory brake controler can only be made to work on a truck that came with the factory tow package.

i don't think all the relays and associated wiring is present at the fuse box and under the dash to make it work.

i could be wrong, but that is how i understand it.

i think the answer to your question is that you will have to add that wire, and use an aftermarket brake controler.

blueovelboy 07-26-2012 05:27 PM

ya you need to add the wires that is missing. fuse and relays need to be added as well, fuse #9 and relay #21 i think it is. you might want to add two wires as i don't think it has the wire for your 12 volt battery charging at the plug with out the factory tow but i might be wrong.

1spitfire 07-26-2012 06:08 PM

Thanks everyone. I guess I will just add the wires and see if it works. If not I will add an after market one. I like the way the OEM looks. If anyone has done this please reply and let me know if I'm headed in the right direction.
:-X03

BigDfromTN 07-26-2012 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1spitfire (Post 12102929)
Thanks everyone. I guess I will just add the wires and see if it works. If not I will add an after market one. I like the way the OEM looks. If anyone has done this please reply and let me know if I'm headed in the right direction.

If you can make it work, its worth the effort.
They not only look nice and clean but also work GREAT.

blueovelboy 07-27-2012 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1spitfire (Post 12102929)

over at f150online theres a guy who added one to his truck with out the tow package. all he added was to wires, TBC, and some time.

SGPI 08-08-2012 02:41 PM

1spitfire I do not know about the missing wires. But when I put the factory controller on my 2010 SCREW XLT with a tow package not the max tow package. After I put the contrioller in I had to have the computer flashed/programed to reconize it. You may want to check on that depending on what year your truck is.

SGPI 08-08-2012 02:44 PM

My mistake you will need to have the computer programed for the truck to reconize the factory style controller.