Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   What is best Track bar or bracket ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1174753-what-is-best-track-bar-or-bracket.html)

Yahiko 07-11-2012 03:52 AM

What is best Track bar or bracket ?

The guy that used to own my truck did not put the track bar
relocation bracket on it when he did the leveling kit. It's only 2"-3".
Would an adjustable track bar be the better way to go or the bracket?

Thanks
Sean :-drink

WGS 07-11-2012 07:33 AM

Typically, on a straight front axle, the track bar and drag link need to be as close to parallel as possible to avoid bump steer.

With only a leveling kit you may be able to use the stock bracket, or maybe not, depending on how those two look now in relation to each other.

The longer, adjustable track bar will aid in centering your axle from side to side, which again may not be needed with only a leveling kit.

Not a definitive Yes or No answer, but it varies from vehicle to vehicle.

Bill

texastech_diesel 07-11-2012 09:19 AM

A bracket will get you close, an adjustable bar will get you dead on. Depends on how much you want to spend, Icon makes a great adjustable bar that's expensive, a bracket is probably $100-ish, but living with the driver's tire being an inch further out is free if the kit isn't causing problems.

If I did it again, I'd go with the adjustable. But I'm picky about small things like the tires being even on each side.

seminaryranger 07-11-2012 09:58 AM

I have the Icon adjustable track bar on my 2009 F250 with a 2.5" lift. I think I paid about $275 for it, but that was about three years ago. My axle was shifted off-center about 1" to the driver side after the lift. The adjustable bar gets the front end back within spec.

If/When you get a professional alignment, be sure to ask about the castor angle. The coil-spring Super Duty needs a certain amount of (negative I think) castor. Castor Cams can get you close to the stock specification. This will make the truck drive so much better as it will not wander and will be less likely to exhibit "death wobble."

Gage2502 07-11-2012 10:24 AM

Ya I would go with the Icon adjustable track bar, my 4" lift kit came with a new track bar, if it didnt I would have bought the Icon.
~Gage~

SuperDutyScaler 07-11-2012 11:12 AM

first what year truck do you have?

SuperDutyScaler 07-11-2012 11:13 AM

if you have a 99-04 Super Duty id go Zone Off Road adjustible, have one on my 04 and my dads 00 F-350's and its awesome! And it's only $100 bucks

Yahiko 07-11-2012 01:22 PM

Hi
It's an 06 4X4 F350.
I did look into the bracket when I got it back in March
it about 200 or 300.
I have a good tire and wheel shop that I will take it
into for an alignment. They told me I will need
ball joints soon along with the steering box.
It drives a bit loose and I really don't like that.

I also know I will need a new steering box
got about 2" slop. That call will go to Read Head.

Sean :-drink

schmidt64 07-11-2012 03:58 PM

Why would a 2.5" track bar drop bracket not accomplish exactly the same thing as an adjustable track bar when used with a leveling kit? I have a Daystar kit in my truck and I know the lift was 2.5".