Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   '48-52 gas tank valve (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1173754-48-52-gas-tank-valve.html)

bobj49f2 07-06-2012 06:49 PM

'48-52 gas tank valve

Years ago when I was putting my truck back together I must have broke off the gas tank valve. At the time I just used a 90° pipe fitting thinking I didn't need the valve. Well, it has come to my realization that when you have to replace the fuel pump you need to shut off the fuel flow before disconnecting the fuel line. I did it but it took two people to do it, one holding the line closed and one to install the pump. I got to thinking that if I have a breakdown, like a fuel pump seals that get eaten by the new formulas of gas that the government is shoving down our throats, I'm doing to be in a terrible fix.

I'd like to use the stock type valve if possible but I'll probably mix and match a few parts from the hardware store.

Two questions:

Does anyone know where to get the original type. I haven't been able to find one at any of the reproduction guys. Which I'm kind of surprised about because I've had a few parts trucks with either broken valves or rigged up lines because the valves are missing.

If you have rigged up something post a picture. I do plan a run down to the hardware store tomorrow and configure something. I just would like to see what you've done.

Here's a picture of the stock valve which I found in a post by ct50f1:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-g...0/DSC01438.JPG

Marty Smilt 07-06-2012 07:00 PM

Bob,
I took the tank valve and all out of my project call my cell or PM me if you want/need it.

Marty Smiltneek

bobj49f2 07-06-2012 07:08 PM

Marty, thanks, PM is on the way.

ALBUQ F-1 07-06-2012 07:11 PM

I've searched all over and all I could find were plastic ones, not my cup of tea...

You can always use visegrips to pinch off a section of hose, with a sock or something to prevent damage.

bobj49f2 07-06-2012 07:16 PM

I got some really fast replies.

While searching the net I stumbled onto a diesel site with a picture of these valves:

https://i789.photobucket.com/albums/...dleValves7.jpg

With a brass coupler the 90° angle would look pretty close. The poster only had the part number for the straight one though, NAPA #WH6820. I searched their on line site but couldn't find the 90° fitting. I'd bet they would have one in their store though.

ALBUQ F-1 07-06-2012 10:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KKR36V-DT2KQyw

The NAPA parts are made by Eaton Brass; I found this one in the catalog that looks promising. I don't know how to go from the Eaton # to a NAPA #.

bobbytnm 07-06-2012 10:59 PM

Bob,
You might check some of the local tractor supply places. I think most tractors had similar fuel shut of valves up trough the 70's.

I'm currently working on an early 60's Massery Furgeson that has a very similar vavle between the tank and the sediment bowl. And I seem to remember one on Dad's old John Deere winrower (spelling?)

Bobby

tinman52 07-06-2012 11:43 PM

Weatherhead makes about every fitting you can think of......my local NAPA sells them, may have to order it though.

Several plumbing valves come to mind, but probably would not stand up to gasoline...

51PanelMan 07-07-2012 12:39 AM

I was able to get a valve like the original at my local NAPA store. They had a few bins of brass fittings and such. If you can't locate one locally, there's also a store here called Royal Brass, which carries any fittings you can think of.

big job 07-07-2012 04:20 AM

Ford 2-9-8N tractor Tractor supply about $16.00

bobj49f2 07-07-2012 09:55 AM

I'll be heading off to the NAPA store today to see what they have.

I have a 8N sitting in my shed, I haven't had a chance to look at it but if I remember correctly the fitting into the tank had a sediment bowl on it. Even though the valve is located in a rather protected area I don't want to take the chance of either the bowl getting struck by a piece of road debris or the remote chance it could fall off as I'm traveling down the road.

I working on getting the F-2 ready for the trip to Truckstock and the last thing I need is for the truck to break down in the middle of nowhere and have my wife standing next to me reminding me of what a stupid I idea the trip is. You guys know how that goes.

19fifty4 07-07-2012 07:58 PM

I'll be heading off to the NAPA store today to see what they have.
Let us know what you find. I recently ran into the issue when I replaced my old tank and wanted to put in a new shut off valve. Could not find one anywhere or anything that looked like it would work. My old one have the t-portion broken off and I wound up having to reuse it even though it was less than ideal / it was better than nothing.

Murphy's Law - finally got to the point today to try and crank the truck after all the recent work and for the first time since the new tank installed - - put several gallons of gas in it this afternoon. Would have been real easy to switch out that shut off yesterday. :-X19

ms061352 12-12-2016 03:57 PM

Gas tank Shutoff valve

I found a 1/4" npt one at West Marine. Threads say not to get one at a regular plumbing supply. The part number is 14605307 and it is a marine rated valve. Only cost $10.99 plus shipping.

EAK69 12-12-2016 05:22 PM

Ironic as the timing you bring this us as this piece is the LAST piece I need for the fuel system for the 49 F3. I still have the original one but it does not turn and have been looking for a replacement for it.
I will keep an eye on this thread.

D Sokol 12-13-2016 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by EAK69 (Post 16787914)
Ironic as the timing you bring this us as this piece is the LAST piece I need for the fuel system for the 49 F3. I still have the original one but it does not turn and have been looking for a replacement for it.
I will keep an eye on this thread.

You can take it apart and bead blast it to clean it up. Replace the "O" ring with one that is fuel compatible and your good to go.

DjS