Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   1999 F250 7.3 Diesel will start but wont accelerate (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1172490-1999-f250-7-3-diesel-will-start-but-wont-accelerate.html)

TheBadTruck 07-01-2012 12:42 AM

1999 F250 7.3 Diesel will start but wont accelerate

I have a 1999 F250 that will turn over and start but runs rough smilar to sucking air when it is cold outside..It lopes until I give it fuel, but then can ease off gas and it will idle ok. The RPMs will not go over 1000 when you press on the gas pedal nor does it rev up with the pedal totall depressed. The truck will not accelerate. There are no codes when it was put on a code checker. Everything else seems to be normal. It has done this once before a few weeks ago and I replaced the pedal assembly. Seemed to work and now it is doing it again.

Just replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil filter and oil but did not seem to make a difference. Also checked the turbo and looks like it is operating fine. Tried letting it sit for a while and then starting it again but it makes not difference. Called the dealer and asked if it could be the camshaft sensor and they said they didn't think so because usually if that goes bad it would just stall out. Not sure if it may be the map sensor.

Any help would be appreciated

aawlberninf350 07-01-2012 02:13 AM

Most code readers will not read these trucks, they are not really OBDII compliant. You'd need a fancy Snap On or AutoEnginuity or if you have an android phone get the Torque app and a bluetooth code reader off EBay. If you have no SES light don't bother.

Dealer was right (!!) with a bad CPS it will not run at all.

And I'm a bit confused: you say you need to give it fuel so it doesn't stall out, and at the same time it is completely unresponsive to the gas pedal. Can't be both.

If it smokes white that is an indication of lack of fuel, either from a bad fuel pump or blocked fuel line. Open your yellow fuel drain on the back of the fuel bowl and key it over to run, but not start. The fuel pump should run and get you a solid mess of fuel on the ground. If the volume of fuel is only marginal pull the fuel hose off the back of the pump with quick disconnects, then put some normal fuel line on the pump and into a container of fuel. If it then flows (or starts) then you know the pump is ok and your restriction is in the tank.

Could also be a Under Valve Cover Harness (UVCH, search it) came loose on ya, so you're running on 4 holes. Find the connections on the valve cover and pull one off and see if it changes things. No change means ya pulled the dead side, completely dead means ya removed the good side.

Good luck and keep trying. Lots of guys here can help.

TheBadTruck 07-01-2012 07:51 AM

Sorry aawlberninf350 I just clarified how it starts. I wrote this late last night and wasnt really clear on the starting and the accerating. I revised the post.

Tugly 07-01-2012 08:50 AM

That last link in my signature may provide some help.