Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   Off Roading in Northern VA? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1172427-off-roading-in-northern-va.html)

CoachGJ 06-30-2012 07:18 PM

Off Roading in Northern VA?

Hey there folks, first of all hello! Happy to be apart of the VA chapter

Does anyone know where I can take my fairly large truck off road? Some easy trails and such?

I know the Mountain View mud bog goes on but thats for sweet highly modified trucks. Dropped by today but I was a little late. Any word on the next one?

thanks!

Also - Im talking Fredricksburg/Stafford Area

archtaan 07-12-2012 01:20 AM

Not 100% sure what kind of trails are in Northern VA. There are some lighter trails in the GW forest, but that might be 2 hours from D.C.

Perhaps Greenridge state forest in western Maryland. The Wrangler folks use that as a starter trail.

Let us know if you find anything!

CoachGJ 07-15-2012 09:00 PM

Well from what I gather Green Ridge is shut down for good. There are some other trails around but its a bit far than I'm willing to go.

I found one off of Courthouse RD through another truck forum. It looks alright. It was very muddy due to all the rain we have has recently and I was concerned about sinking and getting stuck so I didn't go in too far. (I also have just regular road tires on) I might go back soon if the rain lets off and the trail dries out.

Also so one the leads up a hill off the Stafford Airport exit. Its just a trail that might not lead to anything but an empty lot but the place is always empty and there is a sign that says 4 acres for sale. We'll see.. I'm not a huge fan of breaking the law but options seem limited!

chapter 07-16-2012 08:01 PM

theres not much locally, well lemme re phrase that theres NOTHING legal locally ,there are a couple spots here in woodbridge that people ride mild to OC but i tend to just wait for trail rides or try to find owners of private land,lol

kjett 07-17-2012 12:11 AM

Not trail rides but there are several mud bogs coming up in the near future close to NoVA. 1st is July 28th is WV Mudhunters over at Jefferson County Fairgrounds in WV (ust on the other side of Leesburg). Takes me a little over an hour to trailer my truck from Springfield to there. Then there is the Fredericksburg fair bog on Aug 4th. Then Mountain View again on Aug 18th. Websites for info are:

Home
Home

And for Mountain View, you can stop by and talk with Lloyd or get in touch with me. We have 3 more left this year there (Aug, Sep, and Oct!)

The only legal offroad places are in Gore VA and way up in MD/PA line but they are really set up for short wheelbase vehicles to run the rocky trails.

Coskid 07-18-2012 12:47 PM

You should also check out Home

They are a 4x4 club in the Winchester area and host events from what I understand for all types of rigs.

Coskid 07-18-2012 12:50 PM

I was browsing their website and they have 6,000 acres of land with tons of trails. They have events through out the year some open to clubs only and others open to the public. They state they have 36 trails for beginners or stock vehicles and more for advanced rigs.

mortalis09 08-19-2012 01:41 PM

i think cove campground has off roading events periodically - it is in gore va

kjett 08-20-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by mortalis09 (Post 12182765)
i think cove campground has off roading events periodically - it is in gore va

The cove is set up for small sized rigs to run the rocks. I took my F150 up there and was about laughed off the trails until I took it just about anywhere they went. :-X06

mortalis09 08-20-2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kjett (Post 12185113)
The cove is set up for small sized rigs to run the rocks. I took my F150 up there and was about laughed off the trails until I took it just about anywhere they went. :-X06

lol nice - i don't do 4X type stuff personally - every time i have somethin on the truck has broken and i can't afford repairs lol

kjett 08-20-2012 12:44 PM

You should come spectate then. We are running again at Mountain View again on Sept 15th in Stafford, VA

mortalis09 08-20-2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by kjett (Post 12186092)
You should come spectate then. We are running again at Mountain View again on Sept 15th in Stafford, VA

once i have my truck and/or jeep back up and running i just might have to do that lol

Anomic 10-07-2012 12:32 PM

The cove campground in gore is fun. Lake, wild west style "shooting range" and trails. I messed around with my 250 on some; but even the trail to the range is pretty steep!

CoachGJ 10-07-2012 01:58 PM

Well after a little while I found a few spots here.

The best have been on quantico marine corps base. Near the smith lake entrance. I don't want to mention too much more because it's erm.. Frowned upon but if you'd like PM and I'll shoot you some details.

Thanks for he heads up about cove and gore! Reps added respectively

(sorry for pulling this back up!)