Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   A sub volume control question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1171970-a-sub-volume-control-question.html)

Crash80 06-28-2012 02:26 PM

A sub volume control question

I did a search but did not find an answer to my question. I bought an 08 Expy EB with the 6 disc changer, 7 speaker set up. Am I correct in that you cannot control the level of the subwoofer? I came out of an 08 Honda Element SC with a slammin little factoy stereo set up that allowed control over bass and treble as well as how much sub you wanted to dial in...I am not seeing that option on this Ford. Being a pro audio guy, this bums me out to no end.

mtondreo 06-28-2012 08:28 PM

you are correct that there is no separate control for it. However, if you install an aftermarket deck with sub control - it will control it. The wire kit converts it to rca's at the deck.

Crash80 06-29-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mtondreo (Post 12004787)
you are correct that there is no separate control for it. However, if you install an aftermarket deck with sub control - it will control it. The wire kit converts it to rca's at the deck.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the factory nav unit would allow for the sub control I am after, or is aftermarket my only option?

RI-Matt 06-29-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crash80 (Post 12006333)
Do you know if the factory nav unit would allow for the sub control I am after, or is aftermarket my only option?

Factory NAV only has bass and treble controls like the basic radio. It does have the DSP (digital sound processor) option to adjust for drivers seat, all seats, and rear seat positions. Not sure if the basic radio has that option.

Matt

Crash80 07-02-2012 09:47 AM

Thanks for all the help fellas.

CarbonClear 07-06-2012 09:26 PM

Theres another option you can consider. It will add more cost, but its just my 02.
I felt that the subwoofer that came from factory was not enough. My truck came with the factory navigation and wanted to keep the factory look as much possible due to my work surroundings. So I removed the factory subwoofer to allow room to mount a amp. I added a 10 inch subwoofer in the rear with a sub base remote. The sub base remote was mounted on the front fascia under the nav. I used that setup for over a year, until I got the mod bug again and happen to come across a good deal on a aftermarket nav unit and replaced the factory nav. Either way you can't go wrong and good luck:-X22

Crash80 07-09-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonClear (Post 12031791)
Theres another option you can consider. It will add more cost, but its just my 02.
I felt that the subwoofer that came from factory was not enough. My truck came with the factory navigation and wanted to keep the factory look as much possible due to my work surroundings. So I removed the factory subwoofer to allow room to mount a amp. I added a 10 inch subwoofer in the rear with a sub base remote. The sub base remote was mounted on the front fascia under the nav. I used that setup for over a year, until I got the mod bug again and happen to come across a good deal on a aftermarket nav unit and replaced the factory nav. Either way you can't go wrong and good luck:-X22

Thanks. I have been researching some sort of aftermarket sub volume control unit and that is probably the route I will take with this Expy.

eddiemoney 07-09-2012 07:28 PM

The factory sub won't really react much different with any sort of control, you really need to replace it. If i recall, when i took the sub out to look at it, it was very shallow mount (2ish inches) and a 1.7 ohm DVC...almost impossible to replace. You are better off either a) mounting an amp under the seat and building a custom sub enclosure in the existing place or b) amp in the sub location and a sub somewhere else (maybe just a box sitting in the back.

Crash80 07-10-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by eddiemoney (Post 12040923)
The factory sub won't really react much different with any sort of control, you really need to replace it. If i recall, when i took the sub out to look at it, it was very shallow mount (2ish inches) and a 1.7 ohm DVC...almost impossible to replace. You are better off either a) mounting an amp under the seat and building a custom sub enclosure in the existing place or b) amp in the sub location and a sub somewhere else (maybe just a box sitting in the back.

I can appreciate that. Even if I went this route, I would still want to have seperate sub volume control. I am not the type of guy that likes a license plate rattle low end experience but I still like being able to dial in how much boom I get. Having the bass level and sub level locked together is just plain idiotic in my books. I appreciate your comments and will keep your comments in mind when I get around to this project. Right now I am just dumping gas into this thing at a rate of mind boggling.:D

CarbonClear 07-11-2012 09:30 PM

Every 3-4 days for me:-X04