Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Rims, rims, rims: Thinking about switching to 19.5 inch diameter rims. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1171892-rims-rims-rims-thinking-about-switching-to-19-5-inch-diameter-rims.html)

portsample 06-27-2012 11:51 PM

Rims, rims, rims: Thinking about switching to 19.5 inch diameter rims.

What are the functional differences between tires on 19.5" versus 16" rims?

I've been looking at getting new winter tires and rims for my SRW 1999 F350. The tire that I've been looking at is the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain in 255/85R16. Lately I've become aware of 19.5" tires and am wondering what the benefits are. I like the Goodyear G124, they come in a 245/70R19 that I like the cut of. The BFG Mud Terrains have a diameter of about 33.07 inches, and the 19.5" G124s have a slightly larger diameter of 33.4 inches in the sizes mentioned.

I imagine that these tires will probably (?) change my gas mileage to a similar degree...but what other differences would I notice between the two of them? Clearly the 19.5" units are a larger disk surrounded by a rubber donut that is just under 7" thick. The BFG 16" tires have a donut that is just over 8.5" thick. I imagine this makes for the stiffer ride and reduced bulging under load that is reported with the larger rim. What else?

What do people think that have switched to these? Are they worth the extra money? What changed in the performance of your truck? Would you go back to the stock 16" tires?

BigAlsPSD 06-27-2012 11:56 PM

Larger wheels can be a little rougher ride, I have had 22.5's and they were pretty stiff. The biggest reason to go with 19.5's or 22.5's would be to run commercial truck tires, and/or gain some loaded insurance versus, nearing a max load rating on a 16" tire.

Supercab 06-28-2012 02:36 AM

These big tires lots of folks are spending BIG $$ on is just plain stupid.
Unless you are running a truck commercially over the road the tires will dry rot before you wear them out on a pickup.

Tugly 06-28-2012 06:04 AM

I've been mulling over this question. My set of Generals still had the nobbies on them in Oct 2010 when I bought the truck (219K miles). They will be replace in October of this year (I have 255K miles today) and the lamination on my mag rims let corrosion in there. I'm looking at rims and rubber that last more than 40K, so I'm looking for input as well.
  • I don't know if commercial tires come in M/S with the little triangle/snowflake logo on the sidewall.
  • I hear 17" is the most common size, which might make them a little less expensive - or at least easier to find a deal.
  • I don't know what the max diameter tire is without a lift (I'm not lifting because of MPG concerns - 20K miles per year)
  • Chrome rusts and the "Erector Set" wheels get a lot of dirt in the cracks. I'm looking for simple and durable rims... My wife and I agree we don't want "Stinky" to cry out "Hey! Look at all my bling! I'm sure there's something worth ripping off in the cab!" I like the rims on duallies, but I'm SRW. Is there anything with a look similar to the dually style? I've looked at websites with a bajillion rims, and nothing hits me over the head or tugs my eye lids.
I'm not looking to hijack this thread, but it looked like a great place to share all the options.

portsample 06-28-2012 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 12002252)
  • Chrome rusts and the "Erector Set" wheels get a lot of dirt in the cracks. I'm looking for simple and durable rims... My wife and I agree we don't want "Stinky" to cry out "Hey! Look at all my bling! I'm sure there's something worth ripping off in the cab!" I like the rims on duallies, but I'm SRW. Is there anything with a look similar to the dually style? I've looked at websites with a bajillion rims, and nothing hits me over the head or tugs my eye lids..

Check out this site regarding utility rims: New Life Parts and look at X45463 in 16" diameter and X45464 for 19.5". Both of these have 170mm metric bolt spacing. Six Robblees stocks these units and has shops in Washington state. In addition, Stockton Wheels has a nice selection of basic rims.

I'm still trying to figure the major functional selling points of 19.5 versus 16 inch rims.

CampSpringsJohn 06-28-2012 10:41 AM

The 19.5's are a much heavier tire. They have short, stiff sidewalls. Tread will last much longer. Offer a stiffer ride too. Not as good in the snow or mud because of the stiff sidewall. For a work truck that is constantly loaded, or towing, and you are going to put a lot of miles on it, that might make good sense to use them. If you like the looks of that tire, that too might be a good reason to switch. Ride quality will go down especially if you are empty.

Shake-N-Bake 06-28-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by portsample (Post 12002822)

I'm still trying to figure the major functional selling points of 19.5 versus 16 inch rims.

The 19.5 wheel allows for larger brakes. Tire choices will be limited since you will be mainly dealing with commercial tires. Commercial tires are made as steering tires or drive tires so that will complicate matters further. Lastly, some 19.5" commercial tires with load range F have nearly the exact same load index as the OEM 16" tires (3415 lbs). So, a commercial tire may not always be stronger than what your truck came with originally. Must look at the load index rating to be sure...

If you want higher weight capacity on a 16" tire then you can look at the Bridgestone Dueller line. A 285/75R16 can hold 3750 lbs at 80 psi. On a SRW truck that equates to a 7500 lb capacity on the rear axle. The same Sterling 10.5 SRW axle in our trucks can also be found in med duty railroad service vehicles with axle ratings all the way up to 9700 lbs so they are pretty strong units.

mudmaker 06-28-2012 04:29 PM

I have always wanted to switch to 19.5's for the tread life aspect. I put around 40k a year on my work pickup and hate buying tires. I use to only get 40k out of a set of tires, but the hankooks I am getting ready to replace have over 70k on them and still look decent. As long as I get that kind of mileage out of my tires the cost to upgrade tires and rims is hard to justify.

I would however jump to a 19.5's if I was towing constantly before going back to a dually.

Nsaan 06-28-2012 04:45 PM

one thing to keep in mind is most 19.5 tires are not rated for highway speeds. I know my Sumitomo's on my f450 are only rated for 65.. I can tell you they have been over 80 mph though.}>

CampSpringsJohn 06-28-2012 06:21 PM

I think most semi tires are only rated to 65mph which the 19.5's are in that category. If you think recaps are OK, they are readily available for 19.5 tires to put on the rear axle. You do not run them on the steers though.

bfife 06-28-2012 07:42 PM

lots of opinions, not much experience.
I switched my 97 one ton to 19.5s because I was towing a heavy 5th wheel. World of difference between the 19.5s and 16s. almost like going from a SRW to a DRW. Also the ride was better empty because I was not running the 19.5s at max PSI and the 16's were always at max PSI. 10ply--80 psi max 16 ply 125 psi max. I ran the 16 ply at 80 and it rode much smoother.
There are M/S rated tires in 19.5s. there are not alot of "all terrain" treads. Its hwy or mud.
performance wise if you're already running a 33 in tire you won't see much diff with a 245/ 19.5. they are heavier so you will notice a little more effort in slowing down.
The commercial tires wear like iron. you can pick up a good set of powder coated wheels here, http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/
Of course I have 19.5s on my 550. as long as I use any pickup for anything but a grocery getter, I'll always run 19.5s.
that's my experience and opinion, its worth what it cost ya

Barney

roostercrows 06-28-2012 08:07 PM

To the OP and Tugly:
Although I cannot speak to the 19.5 question I will say that I have 17" rims on my truck, both summer and winter rims. They do seem to have reasonable prices for replacements and many options as well, obviously depending on name and size.
Tugly I currently am running the ProComp AT which has the snow flake on it and it is a very well wearing and capable winter tire that I have 55k + miles on.

Now as for size I do believe you can run a 305 series tire and have no issues.
A 285 series tire is very commonly used on our trucks and looks quit good as well as is available in an E rating, some of the bigger tires are not available in an E.

Tugly one more thing, I have a lift and have no issues in any way with it, I bought the truck with it so I don't know the mileage prior but I am currently getting 17 ish and know that is pretty average.

roostercrows 06-28-2012 08:16 PM

http://www.procompusa.com/aux_incl/i...jpg&partNo=PXA

This is the rim I am running in the summer, I think it cost me about $140 per rim.

Tugly 06-29-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by bfife (Post 12004630)
you can pick up a good set of powder coated wheels here, Rickson Wheel Manufacturing

Now that's what I was describing
http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/im..._srw_steel.jpg

Originally Posted by roostercrows (Post 12004717)
Tugly I currently am running the ProComp AT which has the snow flake on it and it is a very well wearing and capable winter tire that I have 55k + miles on.

Now as for size I do believe you can run a 305 series tire and have no issues.
A 285 series tire is very commonly used on our trucks and looks quit good as well as is available in an E rating, some of the bigger tires are not available in an E.

I'm absorbing all of this.

jkidd_39 06-29-2012 10:07 AM

Look at power utility trucks. They have 19.5s. And a huge winch on the front. There is a reason for this. 19.5s are for weight. Don't think your going to gain any thing in the mud or snow. In all reality you will lose off road ability.

I have 19.5s on my 450. Love them for hauling. Hate them for everything else. Right now i got 27k hanging on my tail. They are not even squatted.

Edit. The only time i spuatted them was with my 22k material handler. I was at 45k gross. 500mile trip. It sucked.