Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Adding radio control to XLT steering wheel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1170593-adding-radio-control-to-xlt-steering-wheel.html)

snelldawg 06-22-2012 07:35 AM

Adding radio control to XLT steering wheel

Just curious if anyone has done this? And if so, is it 'plug and play'?

2000silverbullet 06-22-2012 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What's your wheel look like now? Does it have blanks where the buttons are or is it completely smooth (meaning you'd need a new steering wheel)?

I was just looking at the order guide and it looks like the audio controls weren't an option in the XLT, wonder if any programming (BCM) would be required, etc.

The last 3 pages of the attachment below outline the connections for the steering wheel controls, may help get an understanding how it's hooked up.

snelldawg 06-22-2012 09:32 AM

The steering wheel has a plastic peice that can be removed. That's where the control would go. It could be pre-wired behind that peice of plastic.

I found some info related to adding the crusie control (which I already have) and that required a reprogram of the BCM.

If I could have ordered this from the factory I would have, but I didn't want most of the other stuff that was included in the 'package'.

2000silverbullet 06-22-2012 09:43 AM

Gotcha, yeah I think the steering wheel controls are part of the Lariat..

Anyways, I'll keep my eyes peeled if I come across anything, otherwise I don't have much to offer!

snelldawg 06-22-2012 09:50 AM

Thanks!
Someone has asked this question in the SD forum and there weren't any responses.

If I could buy that part for $50 and snap it in and be all set I'd do it in a second. If it involves more than that then I'm out, LOL.

2000silverbullet 06-22-2012 10:05 AM

This looks involved (link below is for an '08, probably a similar process):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ls-2008-a.html

kmonty2 06-24-2012 10:25 AM

I didnt think you could get the truck without the steering wheel control. I got it on my XLT, but I did get the XLT premium package, maybe that's where it comes in because I know I did not order that, but it is great, use it all the time.

SlickYamaha 06-27-2012 11:41 AM

I had thought about this as well. I am not sure, but I wold suspect that popping off the plate and installing the switch is ideal, but most likely not going to work. I have noticed that a ton of the wiring and such for these trucks is pre ran from the factory, and simply needs to be plugged in. (i added fog lights, upfitters, cab lights) and most were already pre wired, minus the cab lights where I had to replace the harness. I would think this would be the case for the controls as well. I think you have the harness for cruise control only, and not for audio controls, so the harness would have to be replaced with one for both. Then, you may need to get a new module for the headunit itself. I purchased an aftermarket Pioneer, and if my truck had the steering wheel controls, there was like an additional $60 module that had to be installed for them to work.

Should this work for you PLEASE update this, I would love to do it as well. For now, I may just order Pioneers strap on steering wheel control for my head unit.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Gjo5d29hqX...te+Control.jpg

fz1dave 06-28-2012 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=2000silverbullet;11981789]I was just looking at the order guide and it looks like the audio controls weren't an option in the XLT...

I may have missed it but what controls are we talking about? I have volume, can change channels, change media etc. Not a premium system either. Well... it didn't used to be. :D

Very nice to have indeed.

2000silverbullet 06-28-2012 05:21 AM

I meant the audio controls on the steering wheel, but apparently that's not the case since KMONTY has 'em.

fz1dave 06-28-2012 06:15 PM

Those are the ones. I've got 'em too.

snelldawg 06-30-2012 05:59 AM

The audio control on the steering wheel was part of a package....I think that it was the Premium as mentioned above. I didn't want a few of the options in that package so I didn't order it.

Slick Yamaha, sounds like this is more involved that I want to deal with. I was hoping that this was plug and play but it sounds like it's not. Thanks for your feedback.

Gints 06-05-2014 06:29 PM

I have 2012 f250 XLT, no audio controls, no sync. Trying to do this for few months now. Change head unit(kenwood DPX 500BT), steering wheel(had blank on the right with no wiring behind), install iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR
interface, read every tread here and.....hit the brick wall. Some guys have luck with 08, but 11 and up have completely different wiring and clock spring. I bin coming back with hope to see new tread for months now and nothing. Please, somebody must have something to share, some guidance. Thanks in advance.

-brent 06-13-2014 12:04 PM

I have the 'value' pkg on mine with no audio controls on str wheel. Looks like premium only has the controls. But it still leave me to believe the wiring might be there.

BigBlueOx 12-16-2014 10:13 AM

I plan on doing this. Been doing a lot of research.
All I know so far is that the steering wheel would NEED to be replaced. That black plug on the wheel does NOT come out. (At least in a '14 and '15 anyway)

For me I'll be getting BC3Z-3600-BA wheel. Black leather.

bikerman2299 12-16-2014 10:54 AM

It was a 70 dollar option on my truck according to my window sticker. I bought my truck used. Adding stuff to the truck is fairly simple though. I did it to my buddy's '12 gasser. His XLT steering wheel was pre-wired for them. I put the switches in and had the dealer flash the pcm. Works like a charm.

BigBlueOx 12-16-2014 12:20 PM

Well maybe there is an XL steering wheel I'm my '15 because of the dual tanks.

loftygoals 08-16-2015 06:22 PM

Resurrecting an old thread...

I have a 2011 XL. It had the Single Disc CD, cruise control, but no remote audio controls. I have since replaced the radio with a aftermarket unit made specifically to replace the odd sized ford units that these trucks have.

The aftermarket unit support the OEM steering wheel controls. My steering wheel looked terrible, so I bought a new wheel with the controls in it. I swapped out the left side cruise controls and information center controls for my original, because the new controls included a full functioning 4 way center switch. This doesn't work well with the basic information center.

The audio controls aren't being picked up by the aftermarket head unit, yet. Looking at the pdf at the beginning of the thread, it looks like there is the SCCM in between the clock spring and the radio. I'm guessing the SCCM has to be programmed before it will pass the signal through to the radio harness.

The wheel I purchased also has the sync controls. I'm not sure those buttons (the phone, OK, and voice) will ever passthrough. It would seems that the harness leading from the clock spring to the SCCM is missing the wire at pin 10 for Sync power.

I'm going to play with it more and will report back with what I find.

-bj

jeff.barnett 11-22-2015 08:27 PM

Ben there, done a few, it's possible👍🏻

I'm just browsing forums and ran across this, figured I'd put my two cents in. Obviously need a wheel. I did a wood grain navigator on my own truck. Most radio control trim level (Ford) trucks have electronic climate control as well on the wheel, so you've got extra buttons that won't work(unless you're really nerdy and know you're way around a meter). A few fleet (F650 and F750) got a special hands free wheel with answer/end call, at least from what I've found. You need new clock spring and all harness wiring related to airbag/horn/cruise in the column, and access to lots of vehicle specific wire diagrams because plugs aren't the same usually. Then handle radio controls at that point as analog data (PAC SWI-RC or my personal favorite the iDatalink maestro sw) and bam, 2 hours later you can be super American and not reach all the way your radio!
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f2f195adb4.png

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5e1ebc3ec0.jpg

Gints 11-23-2015 06:09 PM

I actually did it. If you have removable blank plug on right side of your steering wheel, you might be in luck and have it allready prewired for radio controls. If not and there is permanent rubber plug (like on mine) you will need new steering wheel or donor for wire harness (and you can dig out the rubber). Clockspring is the same and signal goes thru(and Iam talking about 2011 and up). You will need steering wheel audio control signal adapter (they have fancy name for it, but i am a simple man), that converts FORD"s signal to a signal that your HU will recognize. I had iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR for my Kenwood. Go to they website iDatalink.com and search witch model goes with your HU. You can program all buttons on your steering wheel to what you want them to control, including Bluetooth if your radio have it. It is pane in the a***, took me some time and recherche, but its dan and works like charm. Now the fanny part, about last step - the computer might have to be reflasht by dealer, i dont now. What happened to me was that I was screwing around measuring resistance on the switch, pressing buttons, jumping in and out of truck, opening and closing doors and all of a sudden, switch just become alive. I might hit some kinda sequence that tricked the computer, have no idea, SORRY. It might suppous to work from get go. One thing is for shure, it can be dan, and if dealer tells you it can not, like they told me, tell them to go and... aah who cares. I might forgetting something, but you can read my posts from back 2014.

Jimcookster 01-18-2016 11:33 PM

I have a 2010 f150 xlt that had a steering wheel with cruise controls only and a factory ford stereo with satellite radio but no sync. I had an iPad dash made for the truck and purchased a single din Sony deck. I got it all installed and now have ordered a new factory steering wheel with added radio controls. Last weekend I installed the steering wheel and tapped into the clock spring wiring and all the radio functions work.

DJsdoors 01-24-2016 08:43 AM

How do I get the blank off, I did not want to just pull. Thanks

Jimcookster 01-24-2016 12:39 PM

Adding radio control to XLT steering wheel

Mine didn't have a blank to remove. I purchased a new steering wheel that had the controls for both cruise and stereo.

Gints 01-24-2016 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by DJsdoors (Post 15977906)
How do I get the blank off, I did not want to just pull. Thanks

There is two kinda blanks,- plastic/removable (will have wiring for radio controls behind!/lucky you), and permanent/rubber one(you can carefully dig it out, but you will need a wiring harness from donor wheel, or just buy a wheel with radio controls}. Thats what I did, and by end of a day, its cheaper and less aggravation.

RCBlethen 08-14-2016 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gints (Post 15978554)
There is two kinda blanks,- plastic/removable (will have wiring for radio controls behind!/lucky you), and permanent/rubber one(you can carefully dig it out, but you will need a wiring harness from donor wheel, or just buy a wheel with radio controls}. Thats what I did, and by end of a day, its cheaper and less aggravation.

How much was the wheel with the wiring? I just got a 2010 F 350 Super Duty 6.4L. I am changing the factory stereo to a plug and play unit with Nav.

Jimcookster 08-14-2016 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by RCBlethen (Post 16497298)
How much was the wheel with the wiring? I just got a 2010 F 350 Super Duty 6.4L. I am changing the factory stereo to a plug and play unit with Nav.

If I remember correctly, I bought a new wheel with both cruise and stereo controls for about $250us and then sold my old one for $100 us.

don123 08-15-2016 01:33 PM

I have the audio controls on the steering wheel in my 2015 f350 xlt with no premium package.

Ron94150 08-15-2016 01:48 PM

I have audio control on my '16 xl with manual Windows and locks. It's part of the sync package.Attachment 156014

Michael Schwarz 01-04-2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jimcookster (Post 15961554)
I have a 2010 f150 xlt that had a steering wheel with cruise controls only and a factory ford stereo with satellite radio but no sync. I had an iPad dash made for the truck and purchased a single din Sony deck. I got it all installed and now have ordered a new factory steering wheel with added radio controls. Last weekend I installed the steering wheel and tapped into the clock spring wiring and all the radio functions work.

Resurrecting an old thread. I have my new steering wheel and will be attempting the install in a few days. When you say "tapped into the clock spring" do you mean you had to run a new wire?

Thanks!

84convertablegt 07-20-2018 06:06 PM

Did this today. This is how you do it. Its pretty complicated! The 2011+ trucks are not at all like the pre 2011 trucks and all the steering wheel control info is broadcast over the MS-CAN and HS-CAN network on the truck and is routed from the SCCM to the BCM then to the ACM (radio). Previous years just ran directly from the steering wheel to the radio.