Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Adding radio control to XLT steering wheel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1170593-adding-radio-control-to-xlt-steering-wheel.html)

snelldawg 06-22-2012 07:35 AM

Adding radio control to XLT steering wheel

Just curious if anyone has done this? And if so, is it 'plug and play'?

2000silverbullet 06-22-2012 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What's your wheel look like now? Does it have blanks where the buttons are or is it completely smooth (meaning you'd need a new steering wheel)?

I was just looking at the order guide and it looks like the audio controls weren't an option in the XLT, wonder if any programming (BCM) would be required, etc.

The last 3 pages of the attachment below outline the connections for the steering wheel controls, may help get an understanding how it's hooked up.

snelldawg 06-22-2012 09:32 AM

The steering wheel has a plastic peice that can be removed. That's where the control would go. It could be pre-wired behind that peice of plastic.

I found some info related to adding the crusie control (which I already have) and that required a reprogram of the BCM.

If I could have ordered this from the factory I would have, but I didn't want most of the other stuff that was included in the 'package'.

2000silverbullet 06-22-2012 09:43 AM

Gotcha, yeah I think the steering wheel controls are part of the Lariat..

Anyways, I'll keep my eyes peeled if I come across anything, otherwise I don't have much to offer!

snelldawg 06-22-2012 09:50 AM

Thanks!
Someone has asked this question in the SD forum and there weren't any responses.

If I could buy that part for $50 and snap it in and be all set I'd do it in a second. If it involves more than that then I'm out, LOL.

2000silverbullet 06-22-2012 10:05 AM

This looks involved (link below is for an '08, probably a similar process):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ls-2008-a.html

kmonty2 06-24-2012 10:25 AM

I didnt think you could get the truck without the steering wheel control. I got it on my XLT, but I did get the XLT premium package, maybe that's where it comes in because I know I did not order that, but it is great, use it all the time.

SlickYamaha 06-27-2012 11:41 AM

I had thought about this as well. I am not sure, but I wold suspect that popping off the plate and installing the switch is ideal, but most likely not going to work. I have noticed that a ton of the wiring and such for these trucks is pre ran from the factory, and simply needs to be plugged in. (i added fog lights, upfitters, cab lights) and most were already pre wired, minus the cab lights where I had to replace the harness. I would think this would be the case for the controls as well. I think you have the harness for cruise control only, and not for audio controls, so the harness would have to be replaced with one for both. Then, you may need to get a new module for the headunit itself. I purchased an aftermarket Pioneer, and if my truck had the steering wheel controls, there was like an additional $60 module that had to be installed for them to work.

Should this work for you PLEASE update this, I would love to do it as well. For now, I may just order Pioneers strap on steering wheel control for my head unit.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Gjo5d29hqX...te+Control.jpg

fz1dave 06-28-2012 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=2000silverbullet;11981789]I was just looking at the order guide and it looks like the audio controls weren't an option in the XLT...

I may have missed it but what controls are we talking about? I have volume, can change channels, change media etc. Not a premium system either. Well... it didn't used to be. :D

Very nice to have indeed.

2000silverbullet 06-28-2012 05:21 AM

I meant the audio controls on the steering wheel, but apparently that's not the case since KMONTY has 'em.

fz1dave 06-28-2012 06:15 PM

Those are the ones. I've got 'em too.

snelldawg 06-30-2012 05:59 AM

The audio control on the steering wheel was part of a package....I think that it was the Premium as mentioned above. I didn't want a few of the options in that package so I didn't order it.

Slick Yamaha, sounds like this is more involved that I want to deal with. I was hoping that this was plug and play but it sounds like it's not. Thanks for your feedback.

Gints 06-05-2014 06:29 PM

I have 2012 f250 XLT, no audio controls, no sync. Trying to do this for few months now. Change head unit(kenwood DPX 500BT), steering wheel(had blank on the right with no wiring behind), install iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR
interface, read every tread here and.....hit the brick wall. Some guys have luck with 08, but 11 and up have completely different wiring and clock spring. I bin coming back with hope to see new tread for months now and nothing. Please, somebody must have something to share, some guidance. Thanks in advance.

-brent 06-13-2014 12:04 PM

I have the 'value' pkg on mine with no audio controls on str wheel. Looks like premium only has the controls. But it still leave me to believe the wiring might be there.

BigBlueOx 12-16-2014 10:13 AM

I plan on doing this. Been doing a lot of research.
All I know so far is that the steering wheel would NEED to be replaced. That black plug on the wheel does NOT come out. (At least in a '14 and '15 anyway)

For me I'll be getting BC3Z-3600-BA wheel. Black leather.