Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Intercooler Condensation buildup (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1168813-intercooler-condensation-buildup.html)

MKEBoost 09-10-2012 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bat-Masterson (Post 12253697)
They will have a new designed Intercooler out very soon.

That would be good...hopefully it won't affect the performance at all. Let us know if you happen to hear any other updates...

Power Kid 09-11-2012 09:24 PM

My 2011 had this issue early August while towing a heavy load. though I was driving on the harshest runble strips! It was missing that bad. Infact when running in park would miss so bad the tailpipe would almost smack the rear fender!

Reflash, and new 'shield' installed couple days later and since no issues... Knock on wood.

2012-150 10-03-2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by meborder (Post 12199974)
your theory washes with ford's TSB fix. IIRC, for the trucks affected, the TSB installs a shroud over the top half of the intercooler. To me this is a pretty poor fix. It may stop the problem, for the reasons you mention, but it is also reducing the efficiency of the intercooler in order to achieve that goal.

backwards thinking, in my book. the moisture problem is a sign that the intercooler is working very well. reducing efficiency of the intercooler is the wrong answer.

if one who did not drive often came in to complain about his fuel going stale in the tank(think chevy volt), would they fix that by reducing the fuel efficiency of the engine? engine uses more fuel, customer's fuel does not go stale in the tank .... fixes the problem in much the same way, IMO anyway.

I expect better.

a much better fix, and easy to implement, would be an electrically controlled drain valve. truck shuts off, drain opens to let water out. truck turns on, valve shuts to keep boost in.

this isn't rocket science.

heck, they could even have that fancy computer control the valve, and tell the truck to purge the valve under boost, which would be very effective at removing moisture.

like i said, i expect better. .. that's all

Sounds like an excellent answer to the problem. Just one problem. Sounds like it will cost Ford too much to implement. You're talking structural mods, electronic mods, and even coding mods. On a truck by truck basis for a recall that would cost the company a ton = it ain't gonna happen. What pisses me off is that they could have figured that out and implemented it within the first few years the ecoboost was built. I'm pissed because I just got the 4th year (if I'm correct in saying the ecoboost was made in '09), and they still haven't adapted the engine for this. Like you...I expect a helluva lot better than the current state of things.

msgtord 10-03-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 2012-150 (Post 12334277)
Sounds like an excellent answer to the problem. Just one problem. Sounds like it will cost Ford too much to implement. You're talking structural mods, electronic mods, and even coding mods. On a truck by truck basis for a recall that would cost the company a ton = it ain't gonna happen. What pisses me off is that they could have figured that out and implemented it within the first few years the ecoboost was built. I'm pissed because I just got the 4th year (if I'm correct in saying the ecoboost was made in '09), and they still haven't adapted the engine for this. Like you...I expect a helluva lot better than the current state of things.

The 09-10 have the 5.4 and 4.6. Not sure when the ecoboost came out in the cars.

PrinceValium 10-03-2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by flixden (Post 12254448)
From what I have heard, the TSB they came out with does not really fix the issue, but reduces power under certain conditions and makes the issue *less likely* to occur. That's what they are putting on the new trucks.

I hate it when they bandaid things!

tseekins 10-04-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by msgtord (Post 12334509)
The 09-10 have the 5.4 and 4.6. Not sure when the ecoboost came out in the cars.

It actuallyc ame out in '08 in the Lincolns only. Then in '09 it was named Ecoboost and was a Lincoln engine as well, so it didn't get massed produced like it is now. 2010 it made it's debut in the Taurus and Flex. And the rest as they say is rock and roll history.

Perhaps there were so few produced in the past that any issues never really made headlines, IDK. Likewise it hasn't affected all trucks, it doesn't seem to be regional and it doesn't seem to be affected by any certain type of work or driving.

Someone at Ford must be capturing data on these engines and documenting any and all issues. I'd love to see a percentage of EB engines that have been afflicted by this issue from F-150 launch date to current. Mine was built 01/11 and nary an issue of any kind. Mine was built in Dearborn.

I'd love for any one who has had issues to post when and where their truck was built.

2012-150 10-04-2012 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 12337294)
It actuallyc ame out in '08 in the Lincolns only. Then in '09 it was named Ecoboost and was a Lincoln engine as well, so it didn't get massed produced like it is now. 2010 it made it's debut in the Taurus and Flex. And the rest as they say is rock and roll history.

Perhaps there were so few produced in the past that any issues never really made headlines, IDK. Likewise it hasn't affected all trucks, it doesn't seem to be regional and it doesn't seem to be affected by any certain type of work or driving.

Someone at Ford must be capturing data on these engines and documenting any and all issues. I'd love to see a percentage of EB engines that have been afflicted by this issue from F-150 launch date to current. Mine was built 01/11 and nary an issue of any kind. Mine was built in Dearborn.

I'd love for any one who has had issues to post when and where their truck was built.

Got mine from the Detroit Assembly plant.

Truckpilot1329 10-06-2012 03:02 PM

If your truck is in the garage, and you've been building up some water in the intercooler your last few drives,could it leak out when you back up?

I hope this isn't truck thread jacking?

NASSTY 10-06-2012 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Truckpilot1329 (Post 12345835)
If your truck is in the garage, and you've been building up some water in the intercooler your last few drives,could it leak out when you back up?

Nope, there is no drain hole.
However, I have never had this issue in the 1.5+ years I've had my truck. :-jammin

ddrumman2004 10-06-2012 07:56 PM

I have just over 12k miles on my 2011 Ecoboost and haven't experienced any problems like described.
I have driven my truck through harsh conditions when it comes to rain and high humidity and it has always performed flawlessly.

capn kirk 10-08-2012 03:12 PM

ive heard that something like 10% of ecoboost 150 owners could experience the issue. also a nipple off the bottom of the intercooler with a catch can that has a drain valve on it would prevent the issue without allowing a boost leak and every now and then you would just empty the can. if you just had a drain hole you would have a boost leak and loose power catch can would hold water the water that would drain due to gravity and it wouldnt be sucked out because there is positive pressure due to the boost not vacuum as in a N/A vehicle.

Papa Tiger 10-08-2012 05:47 PM

Saw an article the other day on the 2013 Edge with 2 different EB's offered, discussing the addition of the closing vanes in front of the IC for steady state driving as a selling point. Sound familiar. Thin Ford pushed the EB into the F150 to the market without testing it in everyday truck driving enough. Simply tried to blow it up in the desert and around race tracks and not enough daily driving in dew temp conditions. In production the closing shutter in a box in front of and including the IC wouldn't cost so much even with electric fan included for extremely desert conditions.

NASSTY 10-08-2012 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Tiger (Post 12352541)
Thin Ford pushed the EB into the F150 to the market without testing it in everyday truck driving enough. Simply tried to blow it up in the desert and around race tracks and not enough daily driving in dew temp conditions. In production the closing shutter in a box in front of and including the IC wouldn't cost so much even with electric fan included for extremely desert conditions.

Maybe the EB F150 test mule didn't experience any condensation issues like the other 90 some odd percent of the EB F150's don't. So they didn't know there would be a condensation issue with the intercooler in certain climates and weather conditions and driving styles?? Because not every EB F150 has the issue when the humidity and dew poit reach a certain temp. Most of them (but not all) having the issue are driven easy trying to achieve optimal fuel mileage. But it seems that most of the trucks having the condensation issues are the same ones complaining about poor MPG's. It's soooo confusing. :confused: But I haven't had any issues with my truck so I'm not losing any sleep. :)

msgtord 10-08-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by NASSTY (Post 12353039)
Maybe the EB F150 test mule didn't experience any condensation issues like the other 90 some odd percent of the EB F150's don't. So they didn't know there would be a condensation issue with the intercooler in certain climates and weather conditions and driving styles?? Because not every EB F150 has the issue when the humidity and dew poit reach a certain temp. Most of them (but not all) having the issue are driven easy trying to achieve optimal fuel mileage. But it seems that most of the trucks having the condensation issues are the same ones complaining about poor MPG's. It's soooo confusing. :confused: But I haven't had any issues with my truck so I'm not losing any sleep. :)

I'm thinking that the condensation issue only comes up during full throttle. Which would also explain why the majority of those with poor fuel mileage have experienced the problem.

Papa Tiger 10-08-2012 10:55 PM

Think it mostly has to do with running along in cruise at or near the dew point about 55/65 mph probably in the dark of morning with a low gear ration axle. The dew point can contain rain or chill conditions. The air can just contain a whole ton of moisture when the conditions are right. All the time the motor isn't running much boost and low RPM,s like 1750 or so. So the air would be cooler, moist and easier to condense on the walls of the IC. Then when you punch it, boost comes up and pushes the moisture up the tube to the intake. The air injested by the 3.5L EB has about 7 pints of water in it each 24 hours on humidity days.