Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   93 F350 4x4 gas front leaf spring code (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1167435-93-f350-4x4-gas-front-leaf-spring-code.html)

BearFootCustom 06-07-2012 08:43 PM

93 F350 4x4 gas front leaf spring code

Almost ready to do my dana 60 swap, just need new leaf springs. Anyone know what code they are? Thanks

BearFootCustom 06-11-2012 12:48 PM

Anyone????????

ncranchero 06-11-2012 06:10 PM

Check these codes by your Vehicle Certification Label.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pringCodes.jpg

BearFootCustom 06-11-2012 08:30 PM

Thanks but I have a f250 that i wana put f350 front leaf srings in

Diesel_Brad 06-11-2012 08:41 PM

There are at least 3 different spring codes
small block
big block/diesel
cab-n-chassis

BearFootCustom 06-12-2012 04:42 PM

Then I need small block ones

joshh 06-12-2012 05:56 PM

are your springs shot my 250 seems to have the same springs as my buddies 350 ( both crewcab diesel)

Diesel_Brad 06-12-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by joshh (Post 11945037)
are your springs shot my 250 seems to have the same springs as my buddies 350 ( both crewcab diesel)

F250 and F350 springs are NOT the same

joshh 06-12-2012 07:02 PM

ok not saying ur wrong but what is the differnce? im curious now

Diesel_Brad 06-12-2012 07:29 PM

F250 springs are arced downward and have a HIGHER spring rate than the F350 by around 1200lbs

YES the F250 has a HIGHER rate spring. It is due to the PIS POOR Design flaw of the TTB and how it makes the leaf spring flex in ways they were never designed to

joshh 06-12-2012 07:31 PM

intersting guess mine are just sagging then look to have same arch as his
also on that note wouldnt the op be better off keeping his stock springs for the swap

Diesel_Brad 06-12-2012 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by joshh (Post 11945423)
intersting guess mine are just sagging then look to have same arch as his
also on that note wouldnt the op be better off keeping his stock springs for the swap

No, the rearched F250 spring have such a High rate they will give a kidney jarring ride and will sit Lower than A F350

joshh 06-13-2012 03:01 PM

nevermind my dumb comment i read ur post backwards thinking u were saying the 250 had more arch making it sit higher
was long day guess i should of went to bed instead of posting last night

firewood truck 06-13-2012 03:49 PM

When I converted my F250 to the Dana 60 front end, I went to a local leaf spring shop in Baltimore called Middleton and Mead, they showed me the catalog that had the different available springs, there was no distinction between small block, big block/diesel or cab and chassis. The aftermarket springs were divided up between F250 and F350 with each category having 4 different springs available, all depending on the spring rate that you needed. The different springs had a different number of leaves in the pack.

I ended using a 2 ply F350 spring then having them de-arched about 1.5" so that the truck wouldn't be jacked up in the sky, they matched very well to the new rear springs I installed a year earlier.

Do yourself a favor and call a reputable spring shop and talk with someone who knows what they are doing instead of being mis-led by the interweb know-it-alls that seem to lurk on this site. :-X22

here's a link that has some decent listings for front leaf springs.
www.sdtrucksprings.com

Diesel_Brad 06-13-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by firewood truck (Post 11948749)
When I converted my F250 to the Dana 60 front end, I went to a local leaf spring shop in Baltimore called Middleton and Mead, they showed me the catalog that had the different available springs, there was no distinction between small block, big block/diesel or cab and chassis. The aftermarket springs were divided up between F250 and F350 with each category having 4 different springs available, all depending on the spring rate that you needed. The different springs had a different number of leaves in the pack.

I ended using a 2 ply F350 spring then having them de-arched about 1.5" so that the truck wouldn't be jacked up in the sky, they matched very well to the new rear springs I installed a year earlier.

Do yourself a favor and call a reputable spring shop and talk with someone who knows what they are doing instead of being mis-led by the interweb know-it-alls that seem to lurk on this site. :-X22

here's a link that has some decent listings for front leaf springs.
Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts | SD Truck Springs

Unfortunatly the aftermarket doesnt match springs like the OEM does. There is INDEAD a difference between the small block, big block/diesel and cab-n-chassis springs. You do realize the small block weighs about 500 and the big block about 750 and the diesel is 925

Ford didnt just put a different spring code on the door jam sticker for the hell of it. They all have different weight ratings. As for the 2 or 3 leaf deal. EVERY f250 and F350 left the factory with only 2 leafs. The aftermarket came up with the 3 leaf deal for the extra weigh of plows and winch bumpers.

I have been working on these trucks for over 20 years, I am NOT an internet know it all. The level of my craftsmanship and the NUMEROUS truck I have built should more than attest to that

firewood truck 06-14-2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 11949491)
Unfortunatly the aftermarket doesnt match springs like the OEM does. There is INDEAD a difference between the small block, big block/diesel and cab-n-chassis springs. You do realize the small block weighs about 500 and the big block about 750 and the diesel is 925

Ford didnt just put a different spring code on the door jam sticker for the hell of it. They all have different weight ratings. As for the 2 or 3 leaf deal. EVERY f250 and F350 left the factory with only 2 leafs. The aftermarket came up with the 3 leaf deal for the extra weigh of plows and winch bumpers.

I have been working on these trucks for over 20 years, I am NOT an internet know it all. The level of my craftsmanship and the NUMEROUS truck I have built should more than attest to that

Not sure why you would think I was talking about you, it was a general statement. In reference to the spring codes, again I was talking about after market replacements, not an over-the-counter O.E. spring, I never mentioned the O.E. springs.

Obviously there are a lot of factory spring codes, depending on cab/chassis/engine AC or non AC, snow plow prep/severe service combinations. The after market replacements don't break it down like that, it's strictly F250 TTB or F350 solid beam axle. If this guy is going to buy after market replacements, he won't get all of those options, and honestly, if you look at the difference in factory spring rates, a lot of them are within a few hundred pounds of capacity of each other so it's almost pointless to try to pin down an 'exact' spring code.

Diesel_Brad 06-14-2012 06:31 PM

Putting diesel springs in a small block truck will make for a rough ride.
And that is what you would get with a aftermarket spring a diesel/big block spring to cover all the bases.

As for the actual spring rates on OBS springs I am no so up to date. As for SD springs, I can give you spring codes and the rates. I personally would be putting a PMF RSK in with SD S or U code springs for the ultimate ride but with only 2.25" of lift

merlinford 06-14-2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by firewood truck (Post 11953171)
...and honestly, if you look at the difference in factory spring rates, a lot of them are within a few hundred pounds of capacity of each other so it's almost pointless to try to pin down an 'exact' spring code.

Guess this is where I'm at...I put a 8.5' western steel plow on my 250 which resulted in a real kneeling problem when I lifted the plow. So I went on over to my local junk yard and cut two sets of springs off another '94 250 and stacked the heavier leaf under the existing two. After some serious realignment work, it worked like champ. Truck front end is rock solid now...yeah, so is the ride, but its a snow plow truck, not my daily driver.

firewood truck 06-14-2012 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 11953357)
Putting diesel springs in a small block truck will make for a rough ride.
And that is what you would get with a aftermarket spring a diesel/big block spring to cover all the bases.

I agree that a high spring rate for a diesel truck would result in a stupidly stiff ride, but there are other springs rates available, I saw spring rates from 1700 lbs up to 3200 lbs in the after market springs. I personally used 2200 lb springs in my F250, the ride is decent for a 1 ton 4x4 truck, I just avoid the cobble stone roads around the inner harbor.

Now if you go out and buy a 'lift kit' spring, yeah you are gonna get a spring that would support the weight of a freight train but I'm talking about the OP going to a spring shop that deals with this kind of thing everyday, they can get, or make, a set of springs that will offer a reasonable quality ride for his truck, or if he wants to go mail order, he can look at the link I gave or spend a few minutes on Google and get a lot more listings for leaf spring manufacturers and go through the catalogs and order something for himself.

bmhunter 01-22-2013 10:30 PM

i have a 93 ford f350 with a 2 leafs in the front and a reverse shackle kit and still rides like dog ****. i want to switche the springs over to super duty springs. any ideas about the super duty spring codes?

Diesel_Brad 01-23-2013 04:45 AM

You will either need to REMOUNT your RSK, CUT your bumper mounts, CUT your bumper, REWELD your bumper mounts OR just buy a PRM RSk and bolt it on.

THEN and ONLY then will the SD springs work(they are 3.5" Longer)

U codes are what is typically found in a V10
V codes are what is typically found in a diesel
X codes are snow plow prep and 450/550 springs

billjr47 11-18-2013 09:34 PM

ncranchero

I know this is an older post, but I have a question you may be able to answer. My truck is a 1996 F350 std cab 5.8L 4x4. The spring code is "8". Looking at your chart below I see F1TA-5310-AMA for this code. As I look for this on other sites to possibily order a set, the common part number I see is F1TA-5310-ALA. Can you possibily tell me the difference between the AHA, AKA, ALA, AMA and ASA? My truck shows a 4800lb front end capacity if that helps. I'm asking this because I'm not sure what front springs it does have, but measurements from the top of the hub to the top of the wheel well arch seems to be 2-3" less (mine is 24 1/2") than almost every other one I see, althought they are getting more rare here in Ct.

THanks very much for any help you might be able to provide me.

Bill

Originally Posted by ncranchero (Post 11941046)
Check these codes by your Vehicle Certification Label.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pringCodes.jpg

Diesel_Brad 11-19-2013 04:07 AM

F350s are rated at 4800lbs unless they are a cab-n-chassis, then they are rated at 5200?

The springs do not change the axle GVW. the axle does

billjr47 11-19-2013 03:21 PM

Brad

Hello again,
Thanks for your response. I was trying to determine which stock front springs I should have. I know there are at least 3, sm block, big block and diesel, (possibily 4 considering the cab/chassis you mentioned). I'm not trying to increase the axle rate, only the height (at this point without going to an RSK setup you mentioned in another post). My issue is I'm not sure what's on my truck now. The measurement from the top of the hub to the highest point of the wheel well arch is only 24 1/4" which seems less than others I see mentioned here. It also looks lower than most I see on the road. So I'm tyring to see if the true stock springs would give me the additional couple inches I need, and less of a front end rake. Thanks again,

Bill

billjr47 11-24-2013 05:36 PM

Any ideas??

Still trying to determine what front leaf springs I have, and what I should have. The front springs on my 1996 F350, 5.8, std cab, 4wd have 2 lines stamped at the very front bottom of the bottom spring.
1st line is... EW 126 96
2nd line is ...F5TA HA

Any idea as to what this means if anything?

Also anyone with a truck like this care to give me your measurement from the top of the front hub to the top of the wheel well arch on the front fender?

Thanks, Bill

Diesel_Brad 11-24-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by billjr47 (Post 13775778)
Still trying to determine what front leaf springs I have, and what I should have. The front springs on my 1996 F350, 5.8, std cab, 4wd have 2 lines stamped at the very front bottom of the bottom spring.
1st line is... EW 126 96
2nd line is ...F5TA HA

Any idea as to what this means if anything?

Also anyone with a truck like this care to give me your measurement from the top of the front hub to the top of the wheel well arch on the front fender?

Thanks, Bill

Those are strictly production numbers and have nothing to do with the actually spring or rate. Nothing on the spring other than a part huber sticker will tell you what they are

billjr47 11-24-2013 07:44 PM

Thank you Brad

Thanks Brad, as always I appreciate the time you take to answer questions here. Always very helpful and informative, especially to those of us less knowledgable.

Thanks again, Bill