Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   429/460 exhaust manifold questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1166516-429-460-exhaust-manifold-questions.html)

Jonathon 06-03-2012 08:55 PM

429/460 exhaust manifold questions

I am swapping the 400 in my 1979 F-150 2WD out for a 429. I bought a set of Headman 89140 headers for the swap and I found out today they do NOT fit. They hit the frame, frame towers and exit directly into the crossmember that supports the trailing arms.

I guess my questions are:
Is there a set of headers for around $200 that will work? Or for that kind of money do I need to just get some manifolds?

Thanks in advance for the help, I really need it. lol
Jonathon

hasteranger 06-03-2012 09:20 PM

yeah hedman doesn't make any headers that will fit with a 385 series big block on the 4wd trucks. The L&L's are like $500 or $600 and guaranteed against rust for life, imo, keep the stock manifolds until you can afford them, buy them once, and youre done. I've got stock manifolds on mine until I strike it rich. lol

HIO Silver 06-03-2012 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathon (Post 11911405)
I am swapping the 400 in my 1979 F-150 2WD out for a 429. I bought a set of Headman 89140 headers for the swap and I found out today they do NOT fit. They hit the frame, frame towers and exit directly into the crossmember that supports the trailing arms.
I guess my questions are:
Is there a set of headers for around $200 that will work? Or for that kind of money do I need to just get some manifolds?

Excluding fenderwells, I don't think that there is a header on the market that doesn't point at the crossmember.

Ya might wanna try Sanderson's applications for the 460. I picked up a set for my FE cuz I don't wanna have to jack up the engine to install Hookers, Flowtechs, or Hedmans: Sanderson Headers for Ford Big Block V8 engine applications.

Alternatively, start cutting and welding. I know it's a PITA but it is a viable solution.

Originally Posted by hasteranger (Post 11911522)
yeah hedman doesn't make any headers that will fit with a 385 series big block on the 4wd trucks. The L&L's are like $500 or $600 and guaranteed against rust for life, imo, keep the stock manifolds until you can afford them, buy them once, and youre done. I've got stock manifolds on mine until I strike it rich. lol

Dunno if you missed it but the OP said he's got a 2WD.

Jonathon 06-03-2012 09:48 PM

That's for the quick reply, Haste. My truck is a 2wd. I don't have any manifolds to use, so if I'm going to spend any money I'd rather it be on headers.
Thanks again,
Jonathon

Jonathon 06-03-2012 10:04 PM

Thanks HIO Silver. I guess I'll run manifolds until I can afford some quality headers.

hasteranger 06-03-2012 10:05 PM

sorry I thought you said 4wd, I should have read more carefully. There are a couple aftermarket headers for the 2wd's, hedman has one and I can't remember who has one of the other cheaper ones, but I have read bad things about them, they just rust out after a few years. I have a stock set of 460 manifolds you can have if your close. they are at my dads house by morgantown WV, I don't know when I'll be headed back that way, but they are already pulled and just laying in the basement. I can't ever see the scenario where I'd need them.

codyddaughtry 08-20-2016 07:56 PM

Do you still have those manifolds?

Do to still have the manifolds?

Originally Posted by hasteranger (Post 11911693)
sorry I thought you said 4wd, I should have read more carefully. There are a couple aftermarket headers for the 2wd's, hedman has one and I can't remember who has one of the other cheaper ones, but I have read bad things about them, they just rust out after a few years. I have a stock set of 460 manifolds you can have if your close. they are at my dads house by morgantown WV, I don't know when I'll be headed back that way, but they are already pulled and just laying in the basement. I can't ever see the scenario where I'd need them.

hasteranger 08-22-2016 11:08 PM

Lol that was 4 years ago. Pretty sure they were scrapped when I cleaned out that house 3 or 4 years ago. . Hauled four or five loads in back when scrap was up, my dad asked me to clean everything up.