Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Transmission Overheating!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1165519-transmission-overheating.html)

devongarver 05-30-2012 01:54 PM

Transmission Overheating!!

Ok,

This is 3rd party information...BUT. A freind of mine has a friend with a 2011 Crew Cab with the 6.2 in it. He tows a 7000k travel trailer with it, and keeps having overheating issues. It keeps smoking the trans. Ford rebuilt it once, then replaced it the second time. Then they added a massivve oil cooler for the transmission, but the engine temp is still at 250*F and the Trans Temp is at 280*F, just from towing this 7k travel trailer. Has anyone else had issues like this? This is the first I have heard of this with these trucks?? What can he look for?

Thanks guys

mahelinski 06-01-2012 09:38 AM

Nope,

Pulled our 8,400 pound camper from mid Michigan all the way up through the UP of Michigan then down through Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana on the way home last summer. Never ran hot, pulled the camper like it was not even behind us. :-jammin

03 SVT VERT 06-01-2012 12:49 PM

First, what is the frontal area of the travel trailer?

Ford says not to tow a trailer with a greater than 60 sq. ft. frontal area, regardless of trailer weight. (Also worth noting, for a trailer of that weight he needs to be pulling it with either a weight distributing hitch or fifth wheel.)

After that, I would be looking at the trailer's axles and brakes. Make sure the axles are straight and properly aligned, make sure the wheel bearings are good, make sure the brakes are good and properly adjusted. Anything binding or out of alignment could drive temperatures way up, even if it's not binding enough to make it noticeable to the driver.

devongarver 06-01-2012 01:07 PM

Those are good points I did not even think of them I will talk to him and tell him to check those things.

mahelinski 06-01-2012 01:40 PM

Also have him check the breakaway brake cable on the trailer.

Mr. Mcbeevee 06-01-2012 01:41 PM

Might also see if he checked his mpg's. Would be much lower than normal if somehing was dragging (brakes etc).

devongarver 06-01-2012 04:31 PM

OK guys, I got another update.

This is the text message my friend sent me today...

"He hauls a travel trailer, a 7k Utility trailer, and a 15k Dump trailer. The odd thing is it's not consistent. It may go weeks with a combination of trailers with no issues, then all of a sudden it starts slipping like a mofo. The trans has been rebuilt or replaced 5 times, new cooler lines, rad and aux trans cooler, PCM has been replaced, trans wiring harness, and transfer case."

So.....this isn't likely to be any of the above mentioned ideas...

blueline38 06-01-2012 06:11 PM

overheating

NOPE,

I tow a 30' travel trailer that weighs about 8,000lbs loaded and have no problems. That's often at 75mph on the highway.

03 SVT VERT 06-01-2012 07:37 PM

This is difficult to diagnose without having the truck/trailers in front of me. I would be looking for some sort of pattern in the vehicle's behavior and operating temperatures.

Having had basically every mechanical item replaced, it sounds like the issue is either caused by something he is doing wrong or is caused by something software related.

On a side note, he is making sure to use tow/haul mode while towing, right? Towing a heavy trailer in the normal fuel economy mode is a great way to roast a trans. Also, he shouldn't be towing with a new/rebuilt trans until he puts 500 miles of mixed driving on it (break-in period).

Sargemo105 06-02-2012 09:12 AM

This is not a solution posting, just another affirmation that your friends truck is fubar. I tow a 36 foot travel trailer at 10,000+ pounds, and in the heart of summer in high altitudes at times, and the transmission never exceeded 210°

kmonty2 06-02-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sargemo105 (Post 11906111)
This is not a solution posting, just another affirmation that your friends truck is fubar. I tow a 36 foot travel trailer at 10,000+ pounds, and in the heart of summer in high altitudes at times, and the transmission never exceeded 210°

I think you are correct. Mine never gets over 198 while towing with a golf cart in the bed too.

biz4two 06-02-2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by devongarver (Post 11903935)
OK guys, I got another update.

The trans has been rebuilt or replaced 5 times, new cooler lines, rad and aux trans cooler, PCM has been replaced, trans wiring harness, and transfer case."

WOW...I would find another dealer that new what they were doing. Sounds like they are guessing...and then not putting parts back correctly.

Anytime a auto tranny is rebuilt or replaced...the tranny cooling system must be replaced.

I think it might be time for a FORD buy back...that truck is toast! :(

biz
:-X18

2000silverbullet 06-02-2012 07:39 PM

This is the first I'm reading of this many r&r's on a trans, what a mess. Your buddy has much more patience than I ever would have had.

Time to lemon law that thing and get into a new one!

Ricohman 06-09-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT (Post 11903145)
First, what is the frontal area of the travel trailer?

Ford says not to tow a trailer with a greater than 60 sq. ft. frontal area, regardless of trailer weight. (Also worth noting, for a trailer of that weight he needs to be pulling it with either a weight distributing hitch or fifth wheel.)

After that, I would be looking at the trailer's axles and brakes. Make sure the axles are straight and properly aligned, make sure the wheel bearings are good, make sure the brakes are good and properly adjusted. Anything binding or out of alignment could drive temperatures way up, even if it's not binding enough to make it noticeable to the driver.

Is that 60 exposed square feet? Or does this take into account how much air the truck is pushing?

Racer5349 06-09-2012 09:13 PM

I feel for your buddy. I bought '97 350 CC 7.3 and smoked a tranny in 2 days. They replaced it. I drove it home 10 miles and that one was junk too. Luckily, 2 of them in 3 days made it very easy to convince the dealer I didn't want it any more. Turns out a cooler line was pinched flat. I know you said everything's been replaced, so I can't offer anything worthwhile.