Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Steering woes since cab off repair (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1165416-steering-woes-since-cab-off-repair.html)

LaredoF350 05-29-2012 10:35 PM

Steering woes since cab off repair

I had my bedplate leak fixed. Since then, I have a 'binding' type of feel in my steering. I thought it may be air, so had dealership bleed system, but to no avail, any ideas?

BigSilly86 05-29-2012 11:03 PM

Is it in only one direction?

BigSilly86 05-29-2012 11:38 PM

This Is a wild guess but I'm thinking when they put the cab back on and re-linked the steering assy. They did not put the linkage the same way they took it apart. Example: your supposed to mark the linkage with a marker so its relinked the way it was taken apart. so If the steering binds in one direction the linkage needs to be disconnected and adjusted accordingly i think.

UGA33 05-30-2012 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by BigSilly86 (Post 11891726)
This Is a wild guess but I'm thinking when they put the cab back on and re-linked the steering assy. They did not put the linkage the same way they took it apart. Example: your supposed to mark the linkage with a marker so its relinked the way it was taken apart. so If the steering binds in one direction the linkage needs to be disconnected and adjusted accordingly i think.

More than likely this is your problem.

LaredoF350 07-15-2012 06:56 PM

Been having some router issues and havent been here for a while. Thanks for the replies. The binding is in both directions. Truck has bumper - bumper warranty / dealer replaced steering gearbox but to no avail. It goes back in the next week or so for more analysis - I would almost describe it as a bent column?? If that makes sense? It kind of binds / sticks / clicks. All steering components / ball joints. etc were (supposedly) checked. I had it in our shop and couldnt find any issues in trac bar, tie rods, ball joints, etc.
The truck was steering perfect the day it went in, then this problem showed up the first time I turned the wheel to leave the dealership...
On another website, there are a few other owners complaining of similar symptoms, but none have had the issue resolved either...

slowmans 07-15-2012 07:48 PM

well your foot to stand on is, it was fine before the cab was lifted ..now its not, they should make it right!

senix 07-15-2012 07:51 PM

i agree, a repair not completed correctly and it needs to go in as such. Wonder if there is something in the steering column that is out of alignment?

cheezit 07-15-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by BigSilly86 (Post 11891726)

the collum is not indexed in that fashon. its a slip yoke and if it was off your steering whell would be off by quite a bit.

LaredoF350 07-21-2012 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 12062549)
the collum is not indexed in that fashon. its a slip yoke and if it was off your steering whell would be off by quite a bit.

Are these couplers known to exhibit much wear?
I've been a bit busy and havent had time to book my truck back in; however, I have been paying lots of attention to the symptoms to be able to describe them in the best possible fashion. There is a bit of slop - a brief instant of play before there is a 'shouldering' of components when steering...
It could almost be compared to a bad u-joint type of sloppy feel, then a binding of components...

ETKMS 07-21-2012 04:18 AM

This is why I hate cab off repairs!!!! mine has been off 2 times already, but I too have a VERY minor bedplate leak, but its not bad so I will NOT go in for it unless it gets bad.

LaredoF350 07-21-2012 10:54 AM

I have mixed feelings on the process - when the cab is above the vehicle, the technician has phenomenal access to components and can work comfortably vs being hunched over the rad or the fenders. Also, there is no risk of fender scratches, etc when laying over them.
Then the rest of the story - these types of associated problems that result.
What did you have that seemed 'not right' after your cab off repairs?
I also had a cab off on my 6.0 to do head gaskets and there were no issues there...

ETKMS 07-23-2012 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by LaredoF350 (Post 12083423)
I have mixed feelings on the process - when the cab is above the vehicle, the technician has phenomenal access to components and can work comfortably vs being hunched over the rad or the fenders. Also, there is no risk of fender scratches, etc when laying over them.
Then the rest of the story - these types of associated problems that result.
What did you have that seemed 'not right' after your cab off repairs?
I also had a cab off on my 6.0 to do head gaskets and there were no issues there...

Multiple leaks galore from hoses.. coolant, power steering, tranny etc... happened both times, and took about 4 attempts back to fix it. I still have a tiny coolant leak we cannot seem to locate. Also, when i got it back, once he forgot to hook up a sensor, and once forgot to plug the horn back in, those are small stuff, but i just hate stuff taken apart for no reason!!!!!