Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum64/)
-   -   F250 Trailer Brakes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1165279-f250-trailer-brakes.html)

captnko 05-29-2012 01:38 PM

F250 Trailer Brakes

I have a 2005 F250 Power stroke w/ brake controller installed. There is no voltage to the trailer brake (blue wire) pin. I've checked all of the fuses and they appear to be okay. Any ideas?

RV_Tech 05-29-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by captnko (Post 11889438)
I have a 2005 F250 Power stroke w/ brake controller installed. There is no voltage to the trailer brake (blue wire) pin. I've checked all of the fuses and they appear to be okay. Any ideas?

On an 05 with the TBC from the factory, you need to be moving I believe it is over 10 mph to get a reading at the pin. You can't just push the pedal while sitting still. As I recall it is the same thing using the manual override.

It is pretty common for folks to think their TBC is not working because of this feature which was changed in later models. Are you getting an error message while towing?

Steve

captnko 05-29-2012 04:21 PM

While towing the trailer, the brakes do not work (everything else works - brake lights, blinkers, tail lights.)

I occasionally get an error message to "check trailer" but I know its not the trailer because I have since hooked it up to two other vehicles and the brakes work fine.

RV_Tech 05-29-2012 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by captnko (Post 11890127)
While towing the trailer, the brakes do not work (everything else works - brake lights, blinkers, tail lights.)

I occasionally get an error message to "check trailer" but I know its not the trailer because I have since hooked it up to two other vehicles and the brakes work fine.

Couple of things. Number one - when you are towing, if you activate the brakes manually do they work. This point is extremely important because you can not feel the trailer brakes working given the controller uses an accelerometer which mimics the stopping of the truck, when using the brake pedal. You simply can not feel the brakes on the trailer working with any of the new controllers either OEM or aftermarket. They really are that good. If they trailer brakes works manually, your controller needs to see a dealer, pure and simple. If manual also does not work, again this is a connection issue.

Number two - "check trailer" normally comes up due to the connection between truck and trailer. It does not mean the trailer brakes are not working. It means the TBC in you truck is looking for a set resistance from the magnets to tell it everything is working as it should and it is not getting the correct resistance. This is almost always a plug issue or a grounding issue between the truck and trailer. The controller is the least likely suspect in this situation.

Steve

captnko 05-29-2012 04:58 PM

The trailer brakes do not operate when the controller is activated manually or when the brake pedal is applied. According to what you are saying, that means it is a connection issue or a grounding issue. The thing that has me confused is that when I hook my trailer up to other trucks, everything works fine. I'll try to borrow another trailer to make sure it is not my trailer.

RV_Tech 05-29-2012 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by captnko (Post 11890257)
The trailer brakes do not operate when the controller is activated manually or when the brake pedal is applied. According to what you are saying, that means it is a connection issue or a grounding issue. The thing that has me confused is that when I hook my trailer up to other trucks, everything works fine. I'll try to borrow another trailer to make sure it is not my trailer.

It's not your trailer. It is most likley the connection on your truck. On the Ford seven pin connection the back of the plug is exposed to water and it is not unusual for the pins to be nearly or completely rusted off on the back side.

You don't have to tow your trailer to check the brakes. If your trailer battery is good, just pull your break-away pin and the trailer brakes should lock up and you will not be able to move it. If you test this way, you absolutely must leave your seven pin on your trailer disconnected from your truck..

Steve