Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1165257-1963-f100-unibody.html)

Btown 63 05-29-2012 11:28 AM

1963 F100 Unibody

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum, and to classic Ford trucks. I understand that this forum is a valuable tool, so thanks in advance for all and any help!
I recently purchased a 1963 F100. It has a 292 Y block in it, with a manual 3 speed transmission, shifted on the column. Most everything appears to be original. From what I understand, it sat in a barn for 15 years before the guy I bought it from did as little as possible to get it running. He used it around his farm for a while. The only issue he said he had was dirt in the fuel tank clogging up the fuel pump.
I live around 80 miles from where I bought it, and was able to drive it home with no issues. On the next trip, a few blocks from home, it would not go into gear. I have ordered the shifter linkage bushings at the bottom of the steering column to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, what else do I need to look for?
Also, what do I need to do to be sure it is road worthy? It needs new tires, the radiator seems to have a small leak, The oil is new and clean. I am pretty handy mechanically, but do not know much about these trucks.
Thanks to all in advance.
Sam

arctic y block 05-29-2012 11:43 AM

If the shift linkage is not bent than the bushings should do the job. I love a three speed column shift. Does it have overdrive? Sounds like the fuel system is good to go. If your not used to ignition points you may want to upgrade to an after market electronic ignition. As for the radiator a radiator shop may be the best bet as it may be rotten. If so it will need rebuilt or replaced. The Y Block has solid lifters so they will need adjusted periodically. Because of this I use big truck oil like Delo 100 or 400. It has enough zink I beleave. It don't hurt to add a lead additive as well. With today's fuel you will want to put a new kit in the carb and replace all rubber fuel lines as the new fuel will make them break down in short order.

How about some pic's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

spurredon 05-29-2012 08:30 PM

Welcome to FTE! Glad you have yourself a fun truck!

You might want to post in the unibody section in future for specific questions. Our trucks have a lot in common and we are a great bunch of folks to hang with so stick around if you like.

If you are the least bit serious about working on your truck, you should get yourself a shop manual.

Here's one: 1962 1963 FORD TRUCK LIGHT MEDIUM DUTY Shop Service Repair Manual Engine Wiring | eBay

Btown 63 05-30-2012 05:36 AM

Thanks guys! I just re-posted this in the right section.
arctic y block:It doesn't have overdrive. Pictures coming soon.
spurredon: Thanks for the link about the manual. That is my next order of business.

Sam