Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Stalls when put into Drive or Reverse (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1163779-stalls-when-put-into-drive-or-reverse.html)

DexMex 06-09-2015 07:42 PM

Alrighty! That's what I thought, but I'd thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks for the lead!

rla2005 06-09-2015 08:08 PM

Dexmex has another thread going....you need the full story. Rarely have I seen a bad IAC cause Code 12. Vacuum leak is most likely cause. Then there is the known exhaust leak upstream of the O2 sensor.

ctubutis 06-09-2015 09:08 PM

I am merely replying to a thread to which I had replied much earlier and offered my input here; if he has another thread elsewhere then so be it, but I am leaving my posts as they are.

DexMex 06-09-2015 09:15 PM

She*

Can I check the IAC? I was told once by a friend that you can unplug the IAC while the engine is running- if it stumbles the part is good. Never done it before though or know how accurate that would be.

Shoot I hate vacuum leaks. But I don't know the history of the truck, so it won't hurt at all to look for them.

ctubutis 06-09-2015 09:17 PM

Your friend is right , start it up and unplug it; does the engine RPM lower and/or die?

DexMex 06-09-2015 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 15422018)
Your friend is right , start it up and unplug it; does the engine RPM lower and/or die?

It stumbled and died right on cue. At least that eliminates a possibility. Like the gentleman above said- I have an exhaust leak, the exhaust manifold is toast. I'm not sure if that plays any role in the low idle/stalling. Moved to this thread because the one I created was EGR related, now solved. Thought I'd search for threads on this problem specifically!

Unfortunately it looks like I'll be hunting for vacuum leaks.... At least I'll get a few cigars out of it.

rla2005 06-10-2015 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 15422004)
I am merely replying to a thread to which I had replied much earlier and offered my input here; if he has another thread elsewhere then so be it, but I am leaving my posts as they are.

I was merely informing you DexMex has another thread going with more information of what is going on with their vehicle. Too many times someone jumps from thread to thread that makes it difficult for anyone to answer without knowing all the details.

No harm, no foul...glad that you replied.

Natasha Jadusingh 09-04-2015 06:21 PM

2000 f 150

My 2000 f 150 has a new tranny. Replaced shift selenoids and wiring harness. The truck stalls when I put it in drive but if I two foot it and give it gas while letting off the brake it will sputter but won't die and it'll drive but as soon as I shift it out of drive and shift back into drive it stalls. Any thoughts on what this could be?

rla2005 09-06-2015 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Natasha Jadusingh (Post 15619517)
My 2000 f 150 has a new tranny. Replaced shift selenoids and wiring harness. The truck stalls when I put it in drive but if I two foot it and give it gas while letting off the brake it will sputter but won't die and it'll drive but as soon as I shift it out of drive and shift back into drive it stalls. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Welcome to FTE!

You might get a better response in the 1997 to 2003 F150 section of the site: 1997 - 2003 F150 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

wolfie1212 10-07-2016 06:37 PM

1995 Bronco XLT stalls at lights and sometimes in reverse

My 1995 bronco XLT quits at lights sometimes and now its getting to where I have to keep ignition turned over till starts. Also, before this started it likes to stall when put in reverse sometimes. New plugs etc. Go uphill and A/C goes warm then back cold again too. Ibeen checked for vaccuum leak and nobody can see any. Help!

Jacky Dude 12-08-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by GabezF250 (Post 11869251)
When driving, if I come to a stop with the breaks applied, the truck doesn't stall at all. It drives perfectly when in drive, it runs perfectly at a stop with the breaks applied and runs perfectly in park. The only issue is it totally stalls out when in park and I shift it to Reverse or Drive. I have to apply to gas when going from Park to Reverse to make it not stall. Have no idea whats going on here.:-huh

=leftHello, did you find the problem with your truck then? I have the same problem with my 95 460 cui, F250 with E4OD transmission. So I bought the truck in CA and changed everything, I also changed the gear, but the problem is still there. Request for reply

Lincoln Simplot 07-13-2019 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by GabezF250 (Post 11889550)
After a nice cleaning of the throtle body and the IAC, the truck still won't shift in Reverse or Drive without completely stalling. Tranny fluid is full, throttle body and IAC or clean as a whistle and still having the same problem.

Question, is there something on the truck that will adjust the rpm's (idle) so that when I do g from Park to Reverse, the truck won't stall out? Any help would be appreciated!

I've had the same issue with my Ford truck. I went through all the same things to try to get it from stopping. I replaced the throttle position sensor and it stopped doing that. The sensor goes bad and that's why you have to keep gas on it for it to smooth out. But my speedometer was bouncing around so I replace that also and them two run together.

Dusty Green 02-28-2020 03:09 PM

Stalls when shifted to D of R solved

I had a 03 F250 doing the exact same thing. 5.4 Triton. Would die as soon as you put it in reverse or drive. Engine sounded good although I could hear a flutter coming from the exhaust. Customer told me that he had changed number 3 coil per a fault code. And it ran great for a short time. I noticed that the number two coil had been replaced and the number 3 had not. I pulled the number 3 coil and the boot was burned. Replaced number 3 coil truck runs great even when shifted to drive and reverse. Who would think a small Miss would cause the engine to die. Note, I can pull the hose off the brake booster which is a gigantic vacuum leak and the in the engine still does not die so a vacuum leak obviously will not cause this problem.

murph0044 01-14-2021 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by GabezF250 (Post 11864183)
The truck idles perfectly in Park. It drives perfectly while driving.

no it’s running rough in park now too

matteblacksam 07-04-2023 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Edgethis (Post 11863990)
Does it idle fine in Park?

it idles a bit rough, which is a new thing also, but it will idle forever in park or neutral and not stall