Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Can't get gas in the tank.... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1163071-cant-get-gas-in-the-tank.html)

oldfart 05-19-2012 12:32 PM

Can't get gas in the tank....

Now before anyone tears me a new one...yes I did search. 1986 F-150 302/FI. Read 7 pages of posts. I understand the problem, fuel has to go thru the small inside pipe and vents thru the large outside pipe. But this ain't working. It's not filling slow....it's not filling at all. I've dropped the tank 3 times, have the inside pipe in place, no kinks that I can find, ends of inside pipe not crimped. At this point I'm 2 minutes away from removing the metal fill pipe and taking a chisel and making the fill hole the full diameter. I'll cut away everything except the fitment where the gas cap screws on so I have a straight shot to the tank. Has anyone done this and did it work? I've never had this problem with any vehicle that had a full-sized filler pipe. Thanks...Audie..the Oldfart.

ctubutis 05-19-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldfart (Post 11853177)
I understand the problem, fuel has to go thru the small inside pipe and vents thru the large outside pipe.

Seems backwards to me. You put the nozzle into the big pipe, not the small one.

ctubutis 05-19-2012 01:22 PM

You don't say what tank, but here is a picture from the pats book:

https://img10.imageshack.us/img10/63...erhose8086.gif

82f100460 05-19-2012 01:37 PM

That part 9049 (vent pipe) is missing from mine, some more wonderful doings of the PO. It makes it very difficult and slow to fill up.

Franklin2 05-19-2012 06:57 PM

If you go to a open pipe, it will gulp and spit back, and keep cutting the fuel nozzle off. It's just like using your gas can for filling your lawnmower, without opening the little plug to let air in the jug(or the same as using one of those "new" emissions gas cans). It gulp gulps and fuel flow is very slow, since the air trying to get into the can is interfering with the fuel flow.

You shouldn't need to pull the tank, your problem sounds like it's in the filler pipe assembly, which can be taken off without taking the tank out. Something is not right, you will just have to take it apart again till you find it. Once I put the small pipe back into the clip that holds it, my old truck started filling ok again(not great, but ok, I don't think any of these trucks fill that fast).

Now try filling one of these trucks with a diesel engine. What a nightmare that is. But there is a fix for that too.

Gary Lewis 05-19-2012 09:21 PM

I'm sorry guys, but I'm :-X24:-X24:-X24:-X24:-X24 Took one look at the title of the post and the poster's handle and haven't been able to type for half an hour! :-X03

Stangrcr1 05-19-2012 09:27 PM

On mine the PO had cut the filler hose, I guess to pull the tank, and used a 1" diameter piece of pipe as a connector with hose clamps cinching it down. That literally too forever to fill as it had no vent.

Once I put a thinwall piece of exhaust pipe in its place, and put what was left of the vent pipe back together, it fills ok. Like Dave said, still slow, but way better than before.

1983F1503004x4 05-19-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 11854624)
I'm sorry guys, but I'm :-X24:-X24:-X24:-X24:-X24 Took one look at the title of the post and the poster's handle and haven't been able to type for half an hour! :-X03

So what Franklin, Kevin, and Chris are saying, Gary, is that the problem is the pipe and not the nozzle? :D

:-X24

They make a little blue pill for that. }>

I think it has been mentioned here a few times that these old trucks of ours don't have any mesh screen ( protection? :D ) in the filler neck to keep debris out of the tank. So that's one possible problem eliminated.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea just to replace the whole filler neck assembly. The pipe, the vent, the fittings that hold it in place.

There's only so many reasons why the gas won't go in.

(Oh god, the amount of possible jokes...)

madgore 05-19-2012 11:25 PM

This happens to me all the time in the farm. Make sure that the truck is setting level. Or even leaning to the pass side. I'll bet that's your problem sometimes I have to floor jack the axel a little higher if the trucks are empty. If you look under the bed the filler pipe goes down from the side and then over the frame where it is flat then down to the tank. If the truck is leaning to the drivers side just a little it will not fill. Good luck!

CaptnNoodld 05-19-2012 11:37 PM

If its shutting off at the pump then it's not venting properly and the pressure is closing the nozzle on the pump (friends old 63 scout does it constantly)
If it's not taking any fluid at all, the filler tube is clogged or crimped somewhere. If you get the tube off try to seal the top with your hand and hitting it with some compressed air. If air can move through it, gas should too.

82f100460 05-20-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 11854624)

You alright now this morning Gary?? That is pretty funny :-X04

Gary Lewis 05-20-2012 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 82f100460 (Post 11855444)
You alright now this morning Gary?? That is pretty funny :-X04

I've recovered, but thanks for asking. It was a close call though, and I still grin when I think about it. Brings on way too many images of how he might be trying that. ;)

82f100460 05-20-2012 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 11855589)
I've recovered, but thanks for asking. It was a close call though, and I still grin when I think about it. Brings on way too many images of how he might be trying that. ;)

Alright, it's sunday, time to go to church so compose yourself :)

Gary Lewis 05-20-2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 82f100460 (Post 11855599)
Alright, it's sunday, time to go to church so compose yourself :)

Worse - I'm teaching class! They're gonna wonder what the goofy grin is all about. (Yes, Chris, another micro-analysis, although this time it is only two pages - single-spaced small font.)

oldfart 05-20-2012 09:00 AM

Ahhhhh....I see everyones enjoying a bit of mirth over my situation.....EHHH? Well, mebbe I could have phrased it better. Something mentioned does make me ponder...the truck is sitting on an incline...rearend higher than front and it's decidedly tilted towards the drivers side. I'd have to raise the drivers side about a foot...possibly more to get it even level. Hey, I didn't know the fuel pump was gotta fail when I backed it up on a hillside!! But if gutting the filler neck and opening it up is gonna cause a problem, how come I've never had this problem with any vehicle that had the plain old fashoined full-sized filler neck? For now I won't grab the chisel. As soon as I can use my right arm (cracked the elbow working on the truck on Sat.) I'll try jacking it level and try again. I'd stuff a rag in it and light it off but....no gas in the tank. And by the way...them little blue pills work! :) I....wouldn't actually need the chisel. Hmmmm......lemme ponder that. Audie...the Oldfart...