Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Need Help with Change Oil Cooler for 2004 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1162479-need-help-with-change-oil-cooler-for-2004-a.html)

VQT 05-16-2012 03:44 PM

Need Help with Change Oil Cooler for 2004

Hello all,

It my turn to ask questions on changing my Oil Cooler for my 2004 Excursion Power Stroke.
Back ground information: The door sticker read 6/04, the EGR cooler is square (not round). I have been back flush the oil cooler about three times the last two months in combination with flush & fill each time. First two times I used G-05 coolant, the last time I use Delo ELC. The temperature is ~28* at the highest at 75 mph up hill, the normal spread is about 14* to 15* after driving for about 40 minutes night time and morning, more than 18* during afternoon drive home from work.

From reading on all the parts should be upgrade on this forum, I don't see anything about 2004 model; only about 03, 05 and newer. What about 04 model? What parts should I buy while I am in there; Blue springs, stand pipe, water pump...etc

I am planning to change the EGR cooler to BP EGR cooler, factory oil cooler.

- Should I buy the Turbo rebuilt/cleaning kit?
- Does the turbo has to come out for EGR/Oil cooler change?
- Does all the gaskets, hoses come with the order of the EGR and Oil coolers?
- What is the difference between the oil cooler rebuilt kit $249.47 and the oil cooler assembly $385 from Tousley Ford? I assume the old oil cooler housing can be take out and use with the rebuilt kit...
- Should I change the water pump also? Don't want to do all this work then go back in after a few thousand miles to change the water pump...

Don't know what other questions I miss.

Thanks,

05 f250 6 inch lift 05-16-2012 04:27 PM

Yes. Turbo has to come out to do oil cooler an EGR cooler.
All the oil cooler gaskets come with it. The rebuild kit is just gaskets an oil cooler its self. The assembly will be the cover to. No need for it unless yours is broke.
It's up to you. But I would do the blue fuel spring while I'm there.

I would do a good VC-9 an a restore coolant flush before I changed my oil cooler. To get all the crap out of the coolant system. An add a coolant filter kit once finished. It's amazing how much crap was in my coolant system when I flushed mine. Wish I had takin some pictures.

My water pump went to leaking about a month after I got it back together.

raptor131 05-16-2012 04:33 PM

I recommend replacing the intake gaskets too. Make sure you don't forget the egr cooler gasket as well as the rubber donut o- ring that goes under the intake near front of the motor, I heard some kits don't include it, the set I got from victor reinz did

VQT 05-16-2012 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 05 f250 6 inch lift (Post 11840761)
I would do a good VC-9 an a restore coolant flush before I changed my oil cooler. To get all the crap out of the coolant system. An add a coolant filter kit once finished. It's amazing how much crap was in my coolant system when I flushed mine. Wish I had takin some pictures.

My water pump went to leaking about a month after I got it back together.

I flush my system with Restore and Restore Plus twice, each time was half a gallon. I believed the first flush with 1/2 gal restore and 1/2 gal restore plus clogged up the oil cooler even more. The second flush I wanted to make sure the system is clean, then back flush the oil cooler for about an hour. The temperature was a little better with tap water and I did not drive very long, just long enought to clean the system, then with 6 times with distilled water to clean out the tap water. The last flush I did not use any restore or restore plus, just back flush for more than an hour.

Coolant filter from Dieselsite has been install after the first flush...

Sound like I should change the water pump while I am there also.

Rusty Axlerod 05-16-2012 04:46 PM

There were a lot of little (and not so little) changes all along, on the EGR I think mfg dates Before 9/22/03 are round. That date and later are square.

An easy way to tell is if the ICP sensor is in the passenger side valve cover it's an 04 motor or if the truck is made before 9/29/03 it SHOULD be an 03 motor.

Here is some more detailed info from the Tech folder, read down a couple posts: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ml#post3974497

Blue spring and turbo cleaning is a good idea while you are in there. Yup, the turbo's gotta come out. The oil cooler kit should come with the o-rings and screen. I can let you know for sure in a couple days when mine gets here (from Tousley). I think the oil cooler assy is the cooler and housing together. Changing the water pump isn't too hard on these trucks you could do it anytime really, but you will have the coolant drained...
I liked the idea of the BP EGR cooler also, just ordered mine Monday along with the intake gasket kit. I might not need any of it, but once I start I don't want to be held up for an odd size o-ring or seal. I understand the intake gaskets are re-useable but that's not how I roll :). Also, I plan to change to the updated STC fitting and replace the stand pipes and dummy plugs. I also ordered the fumoto valves for the coolant plugs on the engine block and plan on flushing one more time before before disassembly. And maintain my coolant system religiously in the future so hopefully this won't be necessary again.

VQT 05-16-2012 05:24 PM

Rusty,

I understand there were little changes along the way and my 04 has a square egr cooler, plus the ICP is on the pass valve cover. My question was every one talk about 03 or 05 and newer parts needed upgrade; what about 04? does my square RGR and ICP on the pass valve cover consider an 05? What parts are prone to break on 04 Power Stroke?

05 f250 6 inch lift 05-16-2012 06:08 PM

My 05 has a 8/12/04 motor in it. Which is kinda funny because that's my birthday.
More than likely yours is same as mine.
Need to get updates standpipes an dummy plugs. STC fitting.

Rusty Axlerod 05-16-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by VQT (Post 11840972)
Rusty,

I understand there were little changes along the way and my 04 has a square egr cooler, plus the ICP is on the pass valve cover. My question was every one talk about 03 or 05 and newer parts needed upgrade; what about 04? does my square RGR and ICP on the pass valve cover consider an 05? What parts are prone to break on 04 Power Stroke?

I guess some folks avoid including the '04 because it's a split year. If they do mention it's early or late 04 depending on build date. Sounds like yours is a late 04 and the mods and discussions that apply to the '05 and up would apply.

If I remember right, the late '04 and '05's didn't have as many problems with stand pipes and dummy plugs, that started on the '06's. However I think the turbo drain tube was an issue Before '06 (maybe someone will correct me if I got that wrong or forgot somthing). Other than that I think most of the stuff you read about the later trucks would apply to yours.

VQT 05-16-2012 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by raptor131 (Post 11840779)
I recommend replacing the intake gaskets too. Make sure you don't forget the egr cooler gasket as well as the rubber donut o- ring that goes under the intake near front of the motor, I heard some kits don't include it, the set I got from victor reinz did

Does the Orange/Blue hose (my is orange) connect between the oil cooler and egr cooler come with the EGR cooler or do I have to order it separately?

Thanks,

VQT 05-17-2012 12:43 AM

If for any reasons I did not clean the engine valley good enough or left some particles that kill the IPR valve after the oil cooler is in place. How difficult is it to change the IPR? It is behing the turbo/back of the engine, which mean I have to take the turbo out again to replace the IPR?

Thanks,

Rusty Axlerod 05-17-2012 05:01 AM

Tousley's sight is kinda screwey on this part if you look this up by p/n (3C3Z6A642CA). I never saw a picture there, but if you look up that # on other sites, it shows the blue hose in the kit. Like I mentioned earlier, mine is supposed to be delivered by COB today. I can tell you for sure after it comes in. IPR is a pita to change but there is a socket that helps. Info (with pics) in the tech folder. You are right to be concerned about it. I understand even a little lint from shop rags can trash it. Keeping everything very clean is important.

Rusty Axlerod 05-17-2012 03:29 PM

No blue hose in the oil cooler kit :'( maybe there will be one in the EGR cooler kit or intake gasket set. If not, I guess it will be a dealer part for me. Gonna buy a couple of things there anyway.

BLADE35 05-17-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod (Post 11845305)
No blue hose in the oil cooler kit :'( maybe there will be one in the EGR cooler kit or intake gasket set. If not, I guess it will be a dealer part for me. Gonna buy a couple of things there anyway.

Blue Hose comes with EGR Deleate or Intake Gasket Kit

IIRC it only a 5/8 inch heater Hose same as your Coolant filter Kit Supply/return Line

Rusty Did you get that Oil Cooler from Tousley ????was it this Part # for 250.00$$

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=titletext colSpan=2>Quick Order</TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>Part Number</TD><TD align=right>3C3Z6A642CA </TD></TR><TR><TD>Part Name</TD><TD align=right>Cooler Assy. (Oil) </TD></TR><TR><TD>MSRP</TD><TD align=right>$377.98</TD></TR><TR><TD>Core</TD><TD align=right>$0.00</TD></TR><TR><TD>Online Price</TD><TD align=right>$249.47</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Is this what you got Rusty????????????????????

Rusty Axlerod 05-17-2012 08:49 PM

Yup, that's the one I got. I thought the little blue hose had a 1/4 turn connector or somthing on it?

BLADE35 05-17-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod (Post 11846642)
Yup, that's the one I got. I thought the little blue hose had a 1/4 turn connector or somthing on it?

Thanks Rusty rep you when it will let me again

thanks for the Confirmation

A year ago it was 215.00 so they went up some but still best deal Going IMO

Sounds like your getting ready to dive in:-X22