Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Injector blown out (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1160889-injector-blown-out.html)

FivePointo 05-09-2012 02:02 PM

Injector blown out

Anyone had this happen, just driving along and boom. If it were a gas engine I would said it spit a spark plug. It looks like I lost an injector, in the middle of pulling the valve cover on the passengers side right now, I see the injector electrical has been ejected from the cover, logic dictates the injector is in there somewhere as well. Man I hope it backed out and didn't ruin the threads.

FivePointo 05-09-2012 03:05 PM

Oops it was the glow plug not the injector !

Tom 05-09-2012 03:13 PM

Wow, never heard of that happening before. Can you post some pics?

FivePointo 05-09-2012 08:16 PM

I called Ford to get prices and availability. Not bad surprisingly. The harness is 56 bucks the glow plug is 15. I need the harness because I am guessing on it's way out the probe/element part of the glow plug broke the contact part of the plug contactor. As for pictures very doubtful. It's #4 cylinder which is mostly under the cowl and I did most of the removal with a mirror and by feel. Oh additionally the Parts guy at Ford said it's not uncommon for glow plugs to fail but he never heard of one blowing out.

senix 05-09-2012 08:20 PM

don't think I have ever heard of one blowing out on the 6.4 either. I take it that you were not under warranty any longer?

cheezit 05-09-2012 09:01 PM

IM lost #4 is on the left bank drivers side second back.
passager side rare is #7.

I have heard of a few that did that and burned to the ground.

only a few things I can think of that would cause it.
1) someone was doing something and left it loose
2) hydrolocked cyclinder and caused damage to glowplug sleeve aswell ( they normally bend rods first)
3) excessive blowby.

FivePointo 05-10-2012 08:10 AM

Ok to clarify the whole plug wasn't ejected it was just the center probe the part that heats up. However the threaded part that remained I was able to remove easily as it was finger tight . Since I've owned it the valve covers have never been off. It is number 4 cylinder Ford numbers cylinders 1 to 4 passenger side 5 to 8 drivers side. As to warranty it was voided years ago, that's the risk you take by modifying them.

FivePointo 05-10-2012 08:19 AM

You're right my bad it's #7 I was thinking Ford gas not International Diesel I wish it had been #4 my egr coolers are gone would have been faster. Well I say wish, I wish it hadn't happened at all

cheezit 05-10-2012 06:00 PM

how many miles are on your truck?
I have seen this same thing happen 3 times. all 3 times were casued by lack of a coolant passage behind the engine front cover.

RM2738 05-10-2012 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 11814032)

I have heard of a few that did that and burned to the ground.

Literally? They'll catch on fire from a blown glow plug?

cheezit 05-10-2012 09:39 PM

wish I had pictures. what happens when its caused by blowby is oil is forced out the hole and land on the exhaust manifold.
its kinda neat ... well unless its your truck then it kinda sucks.

RM2738 05-10-2012 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 11818540)
wish I had pictures. what happens when its caused by blowby is oil is forced out the hole and land on the exhaust manifold.
its kinda neat ... well unless its your truck then it kinda sucks.

Wow. Didn't really think of that. Motor oil flash point is only ~450 degrees. Definitely feasible.

FivePointo 05-11-2012 03:06 PM

I have 83k on the truck I replaced the glow plug and harness and drove it 175 miles today without further issue? I hope that was that, perhaps a faulty plug. I can take a picture of the faulty plug but it's nothing special