Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Looking at a 2007 F150 4x4 XLT (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1160591-looking-at-a-2007-f150-4x4-xlt.html)

CPT_Diesel 05-08-2012 08:36 AM

Looking at a 2007 F150 4x4 XLT

Hello all,
I am looking at a 2007 XLT 4x4. Build date is 5/07, so from what I read it may have the spark plug issue but probably not the cam phaser issue.

64K miles, quiet, no knocking or ticking.

It was just run thru a local Ford dealer for their multi point inspeciton.

I am thinking of doing a prepurchase inspection to check for signs of the cam phasers and to check oil psi since I read about some issues with the oil pickup in the pan.

Will the Ford dealer be able to do that? Is it easily detectable, or will I get the same info by warming it up and listening?

Thanks!

dilas 05-08-2012 11:25 PM

If you want to do pre purchase inspection, you would be better off doing it (independent shop) outside of the dealer lot. No biased result.

Those 04-08 trucks aren't quite perfect but they're darn good. Love them to death.
I have 07, it's excellent, and yes I'm concerned about spark plugs breaking. But would replace them early around 60K instead of 100K.

Tylus 05-09-2012 01:23 AM

go in early morning, start the truck yourself from a cold start

listen to the valve train. a little clicking is normal (injectors). Anything louder though means issues. I've heard a few trucks that are as loud as your/mine PSD

as for spark plugs...way overblown. The removal tool is $100. If they break, buy or rent the tool and get them out. It's not overly hard. Several guys even have DIY removal tools that cost <$5 to assemble.

As for oil, just check the color and look at the bottom of the fill cap. These motors commonly form a whitish foam around the cap. It is condensation formed after many short trips where the motor didn't get to operating temperature.

Oil color should be light Karo (corn syrup) to a darker amber. Avoid anything brown or black.

The 06+ trucks were damn fine machines...so were the 04-05's after a few stumbles. I suggest you take it out on the highway and see how the Cruise Control works. Then floor it a couple of times and see how the transmission reacts.

oh yeah, the trans has an adaptive feature. It learns how you drive. So if you do buy the truck, I highly suggest you unplug the batteries for >30 minutes to clear the PCM. It'll run funky for a few miles, but then she'll smooth out and start learning your driving quirks

CPT_Diesel 05-09-2012 06:12 AM

Thanks, its a private sale and I am meeting the guy at the local Ford dealer for a pre-purchase inspection.

I need to update my sig. Sold the PSD a few years ago and miss having a truck!

Tylus 05-09-2012 09:37 AM

I would meet him at his house instead and hear it from a cold start. Just me though.

How much is the Dealership charging to inspect?

CPT_Diesel 05-09-2012 02:42 PM

It was $115 and I asked them to run an OASIS and they did. It showed no warranty work at all.

Tylus 05-09-2012 04:09 PM

Not overly bad

You buy it?

Pictures?

CPT_Diesel 05-10-2012 03:08 PM

Yeah, working the loan process now. Will post pics when thing are finalized.
I am considering a vehicle warranty thru my bank just in case of the cam phaser issue. I wonder if that is considered normal wear and tear?

Tylus 05-10-2012 04:10 PM

Normal wear/tear is brakes, clutch, wiper blades...etc

Cam Phaser is a motor failure IMO

Btw, after you get it, change the oil with Motorcraft FL-820s filter, and I highly highly suggest only using 5w20 per Owners Manual

The 5.4 3v is particular about her oil. 5w20 is good enough for 500+ RWHP motors, and served me great with my Supercharged 5.4 3v

Greg B 05-10-2012 07:46 PM

Before you take possession make sure the 4wd shift motor works as well. And Rock Auto sells the Lisle spark plug removal tool for about $65 plus shipping. Rock Auto is also the cheapest place I've found for tune up parts too.

CPT_Diesel 05-11-2012 12:17 PM

This truck has a manual 4x4 shifter! I found that odd, since just about all the F-150s I've seen have the electronic shift on the fly. It's nicely optioned otherwise, so I wonder if it was special ordered with the 4x4 on the floor.

Has 3.55 LS axle, premium sound, auto headlights and steering wheel controls.

Greg B 05-11-2012 10:37 PM

Manual shift transfer case was standard on most trucks with 40/20/40 seating in front. ESOF is mandatory with captains chair seating arrangement like I have on mine. Sounds like it'll be a fine truck. I bought an SCT x3 programmer with custom tunes for my truck and the driveability is really improved. There is no more hesitation when I mash the throttle and it shifts so much better. I can't say fuel mileage increased any, but driveability sure made the purchase worth the expense. I also have 3.55 L/S and even with those gears it pulls my enclosed 20' car trailer just fine. I get slightly better mileage than I did with my 05 PSD empty and within 1 mpg towing of the diesel. The only other area you may have problems with are the power window switches. I've had to replace them once in both front doors.

CPT_Diesel 05-12-2012 05:04 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. It does have the 40/20/40 seats.
I picked up the Motorcraft filter and 5w20 today. Hope to get the truck soon, waiting on the sellers lien to clear.