Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Think I have a bad #7 injector & bad EBPS code P0478 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1160462-think-i-have-a-bad-7-injector-and-bad-ebps-code-p0478.html)

sean23johnson 05-07-2012 06:16 PM

Think I have a bad #7 injector & bad EBPS code P0478

I have owned the truck for the last 2.5 years and logged almost 40K miles on it. A little over a year ago I installed MBRP 4" exhaust with the muffler and that is when I noticed kind of a miss in the exhaust out the tail pipe. I checked with my friends 7.3 with 5" exhaust and mine has a "hit" or miss in the exhaust that his does not have. I didnt think much of it. The truck had always run good and mileage is decent. It has always smoked a little and burns 1 maybe 1.5 quarts of oil/5000 miles since I purchased the truck.

Fast forward to last weekend. I was pulling my trailer to a friends shop, he was standing outside when i pulled up and he says to me it sounds like you truck has a miss through the exhaust. So we hooked up his scanner, did a buzz test and #7 sounded weak and much different then the rest. So what do you guys think? Bad #7??

Also i had codes P0478 and P1211. I guess the P1211 is common with a chip??? But the P0478 has me stumped. I did replace the EBP tube last summer so I dont think it is clogged. Is the sensor bad??

So what are you thoughts??

Here is a vid I just took of the truck idling.
IMG_0923.mp4 video by sjdiesel - Photobucket

SkySkiJason 05-07-2012 06:37 PM

That oil consumption is 100% normal and nothing to worry about.

I would want to see what ICP is doing to decide how much of an issue 1211 code is. We have seen lots of not-so-good tuning cause this 'problem', but cheap oil can also be a culprit. You wanna see ICP holding 2400psi or so and no more than 40% IPR Duty Cycle at WOT from 60-90mph - if its dropping below 2100psi or higher DC there may be an issue (tunes, injectors or HPOP).

As far as #7 goes, the buzz test is only a test of the electrical function of the injector. This could just be a poor connection at UVCH or injector - or may be a weak solenoid. The CCT (cyl. contribution test) and Rotational Velocity are better indicators of a 'bad injector'. You could swap a couple solenoids around and see if the problem follows. :confused:

You can always try to clean the EBPS again, dunno what else you can do but replace it...

Good luck! Keep us posted!!! :-X22

sean23johnson 05-07-2012 09:23 PM

Thanks. I'm working with pocket (Curtis) to find out what is going on.

SkySkiJason 05-07-2012 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by sean23johnson (Post 11804968)
Thanks. I'm working with pocket (Curtis) to find out what is going on.

Oh no, not that guy! :-X15

Lol, he'll get ya figured out. :-drink