Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   winch mounted to receiver hitch? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1160372-winch-mounted-to-receiver-hitch.html)

arctic y block 05-08-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Knothole (Post 11807373)

That's nice. I think I will go with a class 4 receiver that is hidden behind the bumper on the Bronk. Has anyone used one of these? Will the bumper need to be set ahead? They look like they bolt to the frame where the bumper brackets mount. Do they come with bolts? The ads I've looked at give little or no information on most of this stuff.

cay5628 05-08-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by RussF350 (Post 11806288)
OK, thanks for all the advice. What about this idea. Can I mount the winch to my receiver then just run jumper cables from the battery to the hitch whenever I want to use it? I will be using this maybe once a year, I just want a winch option in case I ever need one. I'm not talking about $12 Kmart jumper cables, I have a pair of heavy duty all copper cables, they cost me $80.

Your standard, or even heavy duty "jumper cable" alligator clamps that connect to your battery are likely not going to be able to manage continuous amperage draw a winch will require. The cable itself can, but not the clamps. From a safety standpoint, I would go with a more permanent wiring solution with proper connectors. Just my 2 cents.

-Mark

arctic y block 05-08-2012 02:28 PM

I agree with mark and others in as much as I would only use jumper cables for an emergency and only for a short time. The clamps can cause sparks which can cause a battery to explode. The clamps themselves will tend to get hot and could damage the post as it melts. :-hair

jh818 05-08-2012 05:02 PM

Instead of running long pair of jump cables, how about a separate deep cycle 12V battery in the bed and wire it onto a battery shut off switch used on RVs. Charge the battery about once a month.

sdetweil 05-08-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by arctic y block (Post 11807659)
I agree with mark and others in as much as I would only use jumper cables for an emergency and only for a short time. The clamps can cause sparks which can cause a battery to explode. The clamps themselves will tend to get hot and could damage the post as it melts. :-hair

lot of 'could' in all that..

I've had to winch my dually out of the mud twice (2wd) and this worked fine..
we used a suburban as the anchor, and the winch was mounted on the dually.
my wife loves to rave about who saved who (a chevy family girl).

now have 4x4 so this shouldn't happen anymore!

sam

arctic y block 05-08-2012 06:44 PM

Ya I have done it also Sam, But S--t happens. And when ya least expect it. I have seen a battery blow up in a mans face. I grab him and pulled him out the door of the shop, knocked his ball cap off and hosed him down with in 15 seconds. He was still scared for life where his hat brim was. Just saying;)

David N. 05-08-2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 11806494)
I used Anderson quick connectors for the 4 gauge wire to the battery box. (kept charged via solar)
Battery and Cable Connectors - Wire Connectors - Grainger Industrial Supply(CCSB)

Sam

The best I can tell, those are the same connectors Warn (and maybe Ramsey) uses on their QD's for their portable winch setup.

Warn, Ramsey, and others have portable winch kits, carriers, etc., and the highest I have seen any of them rate them is about 9,000 lbs. I suspect this is due to the rating of available receivers. I also think that most receivers have a pretty low safety factor, and I would be hesitant to go over that in anything but a straight line pull. A hitch will not see 10,000 lbs of force from a 10,000 lb trailer.

arctic y block 05-08-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by David N. (Post 11808959)
The best I can tell, those are the same connectors Warn (and maybe Ramsey) uses on their QD's for their portable winch setup.

Warn, Ramsey, and others have portable winch kits, carriers, etc., and the highest I have seen any of them rate them is about 9,000 lbs. I suspect this is due to the rating of available receivers. I also think that most receivers have a pretty low safety factor, and I would be hesitant to go over that in anything but a straight line pull. A hitch will not see 10,000 lbs of force from a 10,000 lb trailer.

In my case I would be in what we call a water bar. A large ditch dug across the road to keep traffic out. But on Forest Service ground we still have the right to use the road or even fill in the water bar. It is here that I would need it. I would use it in as straight a pull as possible with a very small amount of power on the truck to help it out. I don't for see any time i would pull out my truck dead with the engine off. At least I hope to heck not. I have been just using a come along. once it gets past whatever has stopped it she will usually get on out on her own.

cay5628 05-09-2012 02:23 PM

An angled pull does not bode well for the trailer hitch or the level winding of your cable onto the spool with a load on it. Personally having seen all kinds of incidents in 30 plus years of wheeling my personal stuff and doing really heavy pulls (70 + tons dead weight with a mire factor of 3) with the Army equipment (ok yes tanks and bigger heavy tracked Recovery vehicles) I tend to err on the side of caution.

Do as straight a pull as you can, your other weak spot is your hitch pin holding that cradle and winch in the hitch receiver.

Happy motoring.

-Mark

arctic y block 05-09-2012 04:24 PM

All good advice Mark. I am at 60 years. And most of that was being involved in some way of logging. Now this takes some of the heaviest winching man has ever produced. This in the Great Northwest and Alaska. Also next to the Redwood some of the biggest timber in the world. And several years operating accident recovery equipment. No freeways here. It's down in the hole somewhere and ya got to go down there to find it.

So yes, Sage advice for being safe. Guys think about what you are doing, than visualize the worst case scenario. Like what could go wrong if I do it this way. Than re hook to the straightest pull with as much lift as you can get. Reps to the guy that brought up safety. I have packed out plenty of dead loggers that simply just got in the bite. And died for it. A few times we had to make two trips to get both halves. A wire rope to flesh is like a hot knife to butter.

Again, Happy Wheeling Guy's :-hijacked:-jammin

skip mitchell 05-09-2012 04:34 PM

I have an 8000 lb mounted to a reciever hitch winch mount,I have 2 gauge wire run to both ends of the truck,with a main disconnect at the battery,with welder twist locks on the cables works well.

arctic y block 05-09-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by skip mitchell (Post 11812702)
I have an 8000 lb mounted to a reciever hitch winch mount,I have 2 gauge wire run to both ends of the truck,with a main disconnect at the battery,with welder twist locks on the cables works well.

Hey Skip? Can you post some pic's and tell us more? Bud that is exactly what I want to do.
Like what is this on? Where did ya get the receiver and what make is it? Come on Man. Inquiring minds would like to know.:)
At least this inquiring mind would.

Lubbockguy1979 05-09-2012 04:57 PM

I would use welding leads. Quick connect ends and run it to the front and back. Why risk burning out a $500+ dollar winch and damaging your truck over a few bucks. Spend it wisely and it will pay you back ins trouble free service

Kajtek1 05-09-2012 05:37 PM

Welding connectors are heavy and allow for costly mistakes. Those forklift electric plugs come in different sizes and I think go up to 400 amp, while they have light and foolproof design. I bough mine pretty cheap on ebay..

Lubbockguy1979 05-09-2012 05:54 PM

That is more or less what I was thinking. We've used them for welders on service trucks. Never had to buy them though