Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   questions for swapping 4wd (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1160116-questions-for-swapping-4wd.html)

dirtmister16 05-06-2012 09:57 AM

questions for swapping 4wd

hello, i know there are a million posts on swapping to 4wd. im not sure any of them cover what i am looking for.

i need to know if i find a donor truck of the same year andit has a 460 or diesel. can the transfer case and all the 4 wheel drive parts still swap?
mine:1989 f250 lariat xlt 2wd. 351w 5 speed

i assume the transfer case will swap from a ZF to ZF but i don't know for sure.

thing is i can find trucks like mine with 4wd but not everyone has the same engine, usually a 460 or diesel.

my other question is, can i find a solid front axle for this year truck? what should i look for if i can find one? im kinda new to the 4wd scene, looking to setup my truck for it so can have more off road fun.

i also have another question i just thought of.

i have a set of eagle alloy aluminum wheels for my truck, the rear studs are quite long so even with the aluminum wheels will i need anything particular for lugnuts? the rearend i think was setup so duals could be mounted from the factory. it is just standard wheels on it right now.

if someone could point me in the right direction of where to go or what to look for that would help me greatly. thank you.

Midwest Dually 05-06-2012 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dirtmister16 (Post 11798774)
hello, i know there are a million posts on swapping to 4wd. im not sure any of them cover what i am looking for.

i need to know if i find a donor truck of the same year andit has a 460 or diesel. can the transfer case and all the 4 wheel drive parts still swap?
The issue you will have to address will be tailshaft length on the 2wd models as compared to the 4wd models. You may need to get your hands on the 4wd tailshaft of the transmission if you want to keep the same tranny concerning your manual. They are different lengths and bolt up for the transfer case.
mine:1989 f250 lariat xlt 2wd. 351w 5 speed

i assume the transfer case will swap from a ZF to ZF but i don't know for sure.
Again, tailshafts... The 2wd model does not have the bolt up plate for the transfer case, where the 4wd model does.
thing is i can find trucks like mine with 4wd but not everyone has the same engine, usually a 460 or diesel.
Yes, you can use the same suspension from a 460 or a diesel. The diesel suspension is a much heavier set up however and will ride like a tank or brick though if you use those springs!

my other question is, can i find a solid front axle for this year truck?
Yes, you can, but will be pricey unless you find a steal! The Dana 60 (solid axle) is very sought after by many, so it is hard to come by. You can use a D60 (as well as D50) from about 87-97.

what should i look for if i can find one?
Same gearing as your rear end would be nice... Then you dont have to swap out gears as well.

im kinda new to the 4wd scene, looking to setup my truck for it so can have more off road fun.

i also have another question i just thought of.

i have a set of eagle alloy aluminum wheels for my truck, the rear studs are quite long so even with the aluminum wheels will i need anything particular for lugnuts?
You need Mag lugs.
the rear end i think was setup so duals could be mounted from the factory. it is just standard wheels on it right now.
Unlikely the rear end was set up for duals, sometimes the longer lugs are aftermarket for wheel spacers to put larger rims and tires on. Factory lugs on the F-250 and F-350 are fairly long. Are the fender wells cut out larger for the duals?

if someone could point me in the right direction of where to go or what to look for that would help me greatly. thank you.

There are many write ups and projects involving a 2wd to 4wd swap. It is a lot of work. For what you are wanting I would steer you to a Dana 50 or 60. But with the Dana 60, you will need the springs and end links to complete the swap!

Here is some good reading that will give you an idea of what you are getting into.....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ng-d-50-a.html

95f2504x4 05-06-2012 01:14 PM

Unfortunately the d50s were not solid axles like he wants they are the same ifs styles that are in the f150s

Midwest Dually 05-06-2012 04:52 PM

I agree with the interest in the D-60 as even I am still on the search for one. But to get going on having 4wd in the mean time I went with the D-50. LOL! If he has the same challenges, I offered the write up on the D-50, but it holds the same basics to the swap as the D-50.

The F-150's are the same "style" axle, but not the same style suspension. The F-150 continues to use the coil over springs, while the IFS D-50 uses leaf springs.

tjc transport 05-06-2012 05:17 PM

you would be better off selling the truck you have and looking for a 4X4 truck. a 4X4 conversion is not for the back yard parts changer. it requires fabrication and welding skills.

dirtmister16 05-06-2012 08:35 PM

thank you for all the information, it is alot to consider.

as far as the rear and the studs, the truck is a stock/standard pickup box not setup for duals. i just figured that was why the studs where soo long so that the rearend could be used for duals or it was the same as a dually on a f350 possibly.

i agree trying to find a 4x4 truck would be best, but finding one that has everything exactly the way i want it may not be possible. this truck is precisely what i want minus the 4wd. the truck is rust free and in excellent shape.

ive actually looked at 4wd models and only found a few with what i am looking for, but way out of my price range at the moment.

i will look for the mag lugs. i will be mounting up the wheels and tires i hope this week or possibly weekend.

as far as the tailshafts, i will have to look at mine to get a full grasp on what you are saying. i understand the length is wrong but what you are saying is i would need the donor truck's tailshaft and mount that on mine, correct? now as far as that, unless its a 351 and a 5 speed i would not be able to just switch transmissions over? from what i know is that the bellhousing is does not come off the ford transmissions and are unique to the engine they are made for?

thanks for all your help. i hope im not confusing you too much.

fdude64 05-06-2012 08:49 PM

single rear wheel and dually rear axles are different, the dually frames are narrowerin the rear to allow for the inside dual wheels to clear the springs.i would suggest finding a 4x4 with the motor and tranny you want and if it is the cab options you want to keep then swap cabs,that way you still have the rust free body. that is not quite such a job as a 4x4 conversion.

dirtmister16 05-07-2012 10:29 PM

i am keeping my eyes out. i have another question, i have the window sticker from when the truck was new. is there a way to tell if this truck orginally came with the aluminum wheels. maybe the glovebox sticker?

just out of a curiosity more then anything. i am waiting for my lugnuts i have some coming. so things are moving along.

XLT89F350cc 05-08-2012 04:06 AM

You're right about trannys, find 1 to match your engine. T-cases should swap between trannys, an pull driveshafts to match your trans

dirtmister16 05-08-2012 10:04 PM

thanks for the input. i will keep looking for donor trucks. i have passed up few. i actually shoulda bought the diesel truck i got some wheels and tires from. it was all complete. it only wanted $1000 for the works. like a fool i passed it up.

dirtmister16 05-11-2012 10:19 PM

hey, im looking for the Mag lugs. having trouble finding them i see some online, but am not sure if they will work.

i need to get a number off the wheels to see if i can identify something from the manufacture. anyone have any good suggestions on what may work.

dirtmister16 07-27-2012 11:13 PM

hello. just a update for everyone who has helped.

so far i may have found another donor truck, his is a 460 5 speed. 88 year truck.

wheels. i had to use standard acorn type lugs, it seems the wheels are set up for acorn as i can't find a mag that will fit. so im ok there.

i am picking up some center caps for the wheels tomorrow. ill try to remember to post some pictures of the truck.

dirtmister16 07-14-2014 04:53 PM

update on this idea/project.

looks like i may have finally found a donor truck. 91 with same engine trans combo.

will hopefully get a look at this truck this weekend my dad picked it up in the middle of another deal.

is there anything to be on the look out for on a 91 that i would need to change for something?

this should be the ifs instead of the solid axel id like but i think i can live with it for now. perhaps ill change it later or find another truck at some point.

dirtmister16 07-21-2014 11:03 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...472e53c89f.jpg

91 f250 351 zf5 4wd donor truck door tag says 10/91

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...121ae25a60.jpg

this is my truck as is 2wd
89 f250 351 zf5

so there is the proposed swap from truck to truck. take parts from the rusted red one and put them into my truck. ive read a few posts about swapping and im fairly certain i can handle it.. but i would like to get some input if there should be something i need to know that would make it not worth my time at all.