Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   wrench light on dash came on (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1159102-wrench-light-on-dash-came-on.html)

paddler65 05-01-2012 05:00 PM

wrench light on dash came on

the wrench light on the dash came on and i was told that the truck was ready to go into limp mode. i recycled the key and the light has stayed off for four months. pulling back from fl. the light came on again and i recyled the key and the light has stayed off. i'm prepairing for a long trip anf trying to get every thing correct.
any one have this problem? what can cause the wrench light to come on. i just changed the fuel filters and cleaned the egr valve. i did get about 1 tsp. of water out when the rail filter was changed.:)
thanks

cheezit 05-01-2012 05:51 PM

need a scan tool to pull codes. most will not pull wrench light related dtc's however I know an ids will

paddler65 05-01-2012 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 11779482)
need a scan tool to pull codes. most will not pull wrench light related dtc's however I know an ids will

i dont have a scan tool. i was trying to save the 105.00 cost to the dealer.
thanks.

Mich6.0 05-01-2012 06:18 PM

Both times were you pulling and if so could be the warning light for eot/ect might have the flash for oil cooler failling warning

cheezit 05-01-2012 06:19 PM

oil cooler or boost issues.

69cj 05-01-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by paddler65 (Post 11779516)
i dont have a scan tool. i was trying to save the 105.00 cost to the dealer.
thanks.

That 105 could be cheap you keep playing russian roulette with a wrench light. Just the tow charge could cost more than that.

paddler65 05-02-2012 07:40 AM

i tow a 5ver over 13k lbs. both times the wrench light came on was after towing about 100 miles into the trip. both times after recyleing the key the light stayed off for the next 600 mi. the service tech said if it was an oil cooler it would go out and stay out. im going to the dealer in the morning. will keep you posted.:)
thanks

paddler65 05-03-2012 05:09 PM

well go figure. the wrench light is a ghost. took the truck to the dealer and no codes showed up. the wrench light has been on two times and there is no trail of a code. anyway i'm happy.:) thanks for your help.

kidoo 05-03-2012 08:47 PM

Once I got a Wrench Light while pulling uphill and it went in Limp Mod. But it went off for many thousand miles without a light. I look at it this way, this is a computer, it has it's bogs and it receive many info from many sensors.

paddler65 05-05-2012 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by kidoo (Post 11789713)
Once I got a Wrench Light while pulling uphill and it went in Limp Mod. But it went off for many thousand miles without a light. I look at it this way, this is a computer, it has it's bogs and it receive many info from many sensors.

good to hear from some one that went into limp mode and the truck was still useable for that long. i will be less concerned.

i got 91k on truck and the engine has been out two times. the truck had a bed plat leak, blown head gaskets, i replaced the air condition compressor, rear brakes and last year i had three injectors replaced. about time for this truck to fine some else to keep it moving.:)

bismic 05-05-2012 02:12 PM

Under certain conditions that set the wrench light, it is possible that an engine can generate all kinds of soot (and even heat). I would hate to have that potential issue "hanging over my head" - especially on long trips.

When was the last time you had it flashed? I assume it is not tuned?

atomicglock 05-05-2012 06:30 PM

This happened to me a couple months ago while trying to pass some traffic on an uphill grade. Took my truck to the dealer and they told me they had to re-flash the computer. Must've worked because the wrench light has not come back on since.

paddler65 05-06-2012 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by atomicglock (Post 11796562)
This happened to me a couple months ago while trying to pass some traffic on an uphill grade. Took my truck to the dealer and they told me they had to re-flash the computer. Must've worked because the wrench light has not come back on since.

the truck was reflashed last year before the injectors were replaced. the service advisior had said any time a light came on it would leave a foot print. nothing was reported on the test and i dont understand why nothing showed up on the test.
i will keep the reflashing in mind if i have trouble this summer. i hate to think that i might go into limp mode going thru a large city.
just thinking -i have always cleaned the EGR valve rather than replacing the valve.
thanks

MAD 05-06-2012 03:15 PM

oil cooler, had the same problem last summer, caused the egr cooler to fail, also head gaskets. I would get it checked out before you pull anything for any distance.

firedaniel 05-06-2012 04:12 PM

I agree mine had the same issue. Got a scan guage to verify and watch the EOT/ECT and saw it. Replaced the oil cooler and deleted the EGR no more wrench light...