Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Engine misses after running out of fuel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1157386-engine-misses-after-running-out-of-fuel.html)

mmccasli 04-23-2012 11:18 PM

Engine misses after running out of fuel

Last week on my way home in my 01 250 4x4 my computer said I had 10 miles til empty, which was plenty to go the 2 miles to the station. Well apparently the computer lied, which would be the first time, ( I've had it to 0 and still gone a couple of miles). Any way I got pulled to the station, filled it up, made sure the bowl was full, and tried to crank it over with no success. Turns out it threw a cps code. Got a new one, reset the codes and it started up. Idles fine but under a load or acceleration there's an intermittent miss/ hick-up. I have 195k on the original injectors, could running them dry have been the nail in their coffin?

woodnthings 04-23-2012 11:54 PM

You have air in the fuel rails. It will have to go out through the injectors which could take several miles. What CPS did you have in there? If you had an original black OEM and replaced it with a grey one, you may feel a slight miss at idle.

Tugly 04-24-2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by mmccasli (Post 11749339)
Last week on my way home in my 01 250 4x4 my computer said I had 10 miles til empty, which was plenty to go the 2 miles to the station. Well apparently the computer lied, which would be the first time, ( I've had it to 0 and still gone a couple of miles)....

By the way, this is just me... I wouldn't push my luck - because I can't push my truck.

nlemerise 04-24-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 11749745)
By the way, this is just me... I wouldn't push my luck - because I can't push my truck.

Getting weak in your later years, huh Tugly }>?

hanklin 04-24-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by mmccasli (Post 11749339)
Well apparently the computer lied, which would be the first time, ( I've had it to 0 and still gone a couple of miles)

So then it did lie before
Personally I re-fuel at 1/4 tank because many moons ago I ran out at showing 1/8 full. Don`t trust it much, it`s a gauge.

mmccasli 04-25-2012 06:40 AM

I had a grey cps that was a recall done a few years back. I just went and got another grey one.

I have driven well over a 100 miles and the symptoms persist.

woodnthings 04-25-2012 09:25 AM

With intermittent problems, you will have to systematically eliminate the normal issues. Have you looked at your UVCH connections? It could be worth while. There is a chance that the engine ran rough enough to loosen one of them up when it died.

Brother Les 04-25-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by mmccasli (Post 11753744)
I had a grey cps that was a recall done a few years back. I just went and got another grey one.

I have driven well over a 100 miles and the symptoms persist.

You ran it down to ten miles? IF your truck tilts forward or back a little you could run it out of fuel. And think of all the grud that you could pick up. You are asking for problems every time you run it so low. the injectors will be fine.

mmccasli 04-25-2012 10:55 PM

I'll check the uvch this weekend. Do I really need to take the covers off or is pushing on the wires enough?