Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   whats a good programmer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1154506-whats-a-good-programmer.html)

mikec91 04-11-2012 02:38 PM

whats a good programmer

I have a 95 7.3 what is the pro,s and con,s and a good model programmer

Awitte58 04-11-2012 02:45 PM

Im not sure I understand you correctly.
The pros and cons of a 95 Heavy Duty Powerstroke compared to a 99-03 Super Duty Powerstroke?

Or the Pros and Cons of different programmers?

A lot of folks on this forum choose a ts style 6 position chip.

It doesnt have a fancy screen or anything, but it holds 6 different tunes that you can change while you are driving to change performance (fuel flow, shift points..etc) and they can be custom tuned as you modify your truck.

Here is a good place to look around:
Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: DP tuner 7.3 powerstroke | DP Tuner Chip Modules | DP Tuner F5 Chip Module - Tuners/Power Adders

Oh and Welcome to FTE! The best place to learn how to properly spend your money! :D

DIYMechanic 04-11-2012 02:50 PM

Welcome!

Here is a thread that should help you decide.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rogrammer.html

97 ford beast 04-11-2012 05:34 PM

I use sct touch screen xtream it was Easyer then the last one

mikec91 04-12-2012 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info .The other thread was good stuff.What about the down pipe is needed if so what is good one? I have read on here about being lould in the cab

DIYMechanic 04-12-2012 08:37 AM

The downpipe is the most restrictive part of the exhaust (except maybe the cat...). MBRP and Diamond Eye are the two that most guys on here use. Riffraff Diesel can set you up for either one. The Diamond Eye is about $10 cheaper and works just as well. That's what I have... DE can be had from Riffraff for around $80.

As far as noise in the cab, as long as you get the clearance to get the pipe in there, I don't see where it would make any more noise in the cab. You might hear the turbo whistle a little more, but what's wrong with that?

The other thing that you can do to really free that thing up to breathe is to put an intake kit on it. The 6637 kit from Riffraff is very nice (that's what I have as well) and it is a bolt on install. You can also source the filter locally and build your own kit very easily. Those two modifications should be the first on anyone's to-do list as they free up the intake and exhaust and let the engine breathe. It just makes for a more efficient running truck either way. Gut or remove the cat too if that is an option for you...

mikec91 04-12-2012 08:47 AM

I have no cat and I a 4" ex from down pipe to tail pipe so I will check into down pipe & intake next .So far I like this forum

DIYMechanic 04-12-2012 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mikec91 (Post 11698761)
I have no cat and I a 4" ex from down pipe to tail pipe so I will check into down pipe & intake next .So far I like this forum

You're all set then if you replace that pancake piece of trash downpipe. Yeah, stick around here we will help you get your truck running in tip top shape. Not to mention provide you with a very long list of ways to spend your hard earned money! }>

mikec91 04-12-2012 09:06 AM

Yepper I see that

fordpride 04-12-2012 10:05 PM

Just go ahead and give us your credit card and we'll take care of the rest. ;)

mikec91 04-12-2012 10:09 PM

I don't think my wife would like that and I don't care much about sleeping in the dog house ha ha

ReBilld 04-12-2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikec91 (Post 11702212)
I don't think my wife would like that and I don't care much about sleeping in the dog house ha ha

I'm lookin at these...........
slide in truck camper - Google Search
.................................................. .....:-missingt

Ford4Life7.3 04-13-2012 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by ReBilld (Post 11702287)
I'm lookin at these...........
slide in truck camper - Google Search
.................................................. .....:-missingt

haha always count on you for a laugh:-drink But like everyone else has said, it really depends on personal preference and your wallet. I have a TS chip with PHP tunes on it. Its simple and works great. Take a look at the link posted above, lots of good information.