Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   IDI timing advance results! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1153557-idi-timing-advance-results.html)

boots6868 04-07-2012 11:10 AM

IDI timing advance results!

Hi guys...and gals. maybe this post will help others that are a little aprehensive about the timing on these or those that underestimate the timings duty.. Its been awhile since i posted on this forum as my 93 f350 crew dually has been running quite well. until recently that is.
I bought this truck a year ago with 196k on it. and it always had this quirky miss at highway speeds now she always started right up and would blow blue smoke till warmed up. it drove me nuts. the miss was always around 65mph like when your just keeping with traffic it would stumble and bumble, give her some throttle and it would go away or let up completely and it would go away. i put up with it until she started blowing blue smoke when this miss would act up. i could see out my side mirror that as soon as it started missing the smoke would roll out heavy blue smoke like too much unburnt fuel. I did try to clean the CDR valve gently of course but it still did it. I put new injectors in it along with fuel return kit. still did it.
after much reading on google it seemed others bumped up there timing a tad (advance toward passenger side) and this helped. I figured i would give it a whirl. so i got an old 9/16 wrench and ground the box end to fit and bent it some to get at the lower 2 bolts and i noticed that the timing marks were lined up on the housing and the pump. so i swear i only moved it half the thickness of a dime about 1/16 inch toward passeger side.
What a difference, i fired her up it had alot more clackity clack and it only smoked for like 5 seconds and at highway speeds it doesnt miss or stumble or blow any smoke. I just wanted to pass this info along to maybe help others.
Now i dont have a pyrometer, so i dont know what exhaust gasses are doing. Like i say i only moved it a smidge. I figured the pump was wearing some and losing some timing over the years.
Thanks all because some of what i read came from these forums. :-drink

hookedondiesel 04-07-2012 03:03 PM

Thank's for the info.:-X22

'94IDITurbo7.3 04-07-2012 05:04 PM

adjusting the timing won't effect egt's enough to worry about them.

IDIDieselJohn 04-07-2012 08:32 PM

Good post!

My van has a very similar problem that yours had, but mine already has advance timing (clattery).

I'm gonna bring it to an IH dealer to have it timed though.

mistakenID 04-08-2012 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by '94IDITurbo7.3 (Post 11679644)
adjusting the timing won't effect egt's enough to worry about them.

Sorry, I have to disagree with that statement. Go either way too much and heat can build to the danger point.

Advancing to much will increase heat much faster. Retarding will create more smoke and decrease heat at cruising speed but because of decreased performance when pulling hills, more throttle is needed and will create more heat.

'94IDITurbo7.3 04-08-2012 12:26 PM

that is why you keep it with in spec.