Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum182/)
-   -   PA emissions conundrum (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1152622-pa-emissions-conundrum.html)

Citizenrain 04-03-2012 10:54 AM

PA emissions conundrum

Howdy all,

In October, I'm moving from Seattle, WA to the Burgh. My 84' F250 4x4 is going to be doing most of the heavy lifting for me on the way out there. See, I just spent a bunch of coin a before I knew I was moving and put a fresh 351w under the hood and she is all ready to go.

Here is my problem: in WA, the truck is emissions exempt; it never has to go through emissions again as it is more than 25 years old. I've kept the EGR and PCV in tact but everything else from the original engine is sitting in a box somewhere. The heads are from 76 and I know they don't have the extra ports on the back for the additional smog equipment that sits back there. I read online that I have to go through 'visual inspection' and all that crap needs to be in tact :'( what am I going to do?

I'm fully open to any and all suggestions... You guys deal with PA inspection/emissions on a regular basis so you know the laws there better than I do. The truck has 110000 miles on the body and frame and not a lick of rust to be found. I really would like to bring it with me...

Anything helps! Thanks again :-X22

"Top Fuel" Bender 04-06-2012 06:16 PM

If you drive it less then 5,000 miles a year your can get it exempt
If your GVW on the truck not the registration is over 9000GVW your exempt

if you still need to get tested they always test the gas cap
then the check to make sure that whatever equipment the emission sticker on your truck , if it's there ;) to see what equipment came standard on your truck (they have no proof otherwise ,especially out of state

they'll look to see if it's there and "appears to be working"
gas inlet restrictor, pcv, egr, air pump, cat conv., Evaporative control system (charcoal canister)

PatsPOS 04-06-2012 10:14 PM

I'm probably gonna just add to the confusion, rather than clarify it...don't Allegheny and Philadelphia Counties have the IM240 emissions tests? I know out here in the hinterlands we just have a visual/gas cap test. And yeah, my understanding of "visual" is that the equipment just has to be there; it doesn't actually have to work. How a guy would make the Thermactor system LOOK like it's working is beyond my level of creativity, however...I'd think the provisions would be there on a '76 351W head, even if it wasn't utilized. It'd just be a matter of finding an air injector manifold that bolts onto the backs of the heads to make it LOOK like it's working. Of course, a smog pump WITH a belt would be helpful, too...doesn't mean it actually has to be injecting air into the exhaust.

Citizenrain...the moral of the story is that if you can make it LOOK like everything works, you shouldn't have a problem. The Commonwealth doesn't care if you gut the cats and block off the EGR, just as long as the hardware is there. Unless you're actually gonna live IN Allegheny County...then I'm just not sure.

Clear as mud...
Pat

grumpy hvacr 04-07-2012 12:40 PM

It really depends on how well you know the shop doing the testing.

Less than 5k, pass visual, pay for exemption. Just decorate the engine with emmision controls. Worked for me. Gas is almost $4/gal now, you might not be driving the truck much.

More than 5k, you will be checked with the sniffer.

Consider living in Butler or Washington county and commuting. The traveling will suck, but there is just way too much silly B.S. in Allegheny county to deal with. You have no idea what we are going through with the property tax nonsense .

This may or may not be helpful:

PA DEP I/M - Information for Pittsburgh Area Drivers

Marty in PA 04-22-2012 03:57 PM

I got my '65 F100 registered as an Antique Vehicle - no initial inspection was necessary. With the Antique Registration, no yearly inspec or registration renewal. Had to pay a little more but worth it. Only had to provide 4 exterior photos -front,rear & both sides when I applied to the state.
Unless your using the truck as an everyday driver, I think it is a good option.