Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   more horepower for my 95 f250 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1151594-more-horepower-for-my-95-f250.html)

drhodes200 03-30-2012 08:56 AM

more horepower for my 95 f250

I have a 95 f250 5.8l v8 and I'm trying to make it faster and give it more horsepower and torque and opinions?

blurangkid 03-30-2012 09:13 AM

high-flow exhaust and kn cold air intake. Let the baby breath!!! Easy upgrade for a nice hp increase. Just my 2cents!

rla2005 03-30-2012 09:24 AM

Most of the aftermarket "hot-air" intakes are worthless for these trucks with a stock engine. The only thing they do is lighten your wallet.

I agree with the exhaust suggestion but start with the cheap and easy items first. Tuneup with quality plugs/wires/cap/rotor and filters. Open the plug gap, bump the timing up a little. This is referred to as the sixlitre tuneup. Many here have done it.

To be honest we get this same question multiple times every week. If you would take some time to browse through the last week or two posts you would find answers to your question. These engines are strangled with tiny cams, although yours may be a roller cam equipped version which helps a little. There is no magic bullet or chip you can install and find instant power, it's not there.

Start with the tuneup, timing bump then move on to opening up the exhaust. Headers will help, high flow converters are at the top of the list as well. After that you start running into one bottleneck after the other. It's a matter of what is your final goal and how deep are your pockets.

Let's not forget what gears the truck has and what size tires you are running.

drhodes200 03-30-2012 09:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestions its already got a exaust done cause when I got it had glasspacks with no converter but right now I'm running 33's and trying to step up to 35's the truck came with a 4in skyjacker suspension lift but I just joins n figured if i askd is get some good answers so haven't really had time to browse but appreciate your time with throwing out some suggestions

Jaime74656 03-30-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 11644588)
Most of the aftermarket "hot-air" intakes are worthless for these trucks with a stock engine. The only thing they do is lighten your wallet.

I agree with the exhaust suggestion but start with the cheap and easy items first. Tuneup with quality plugs/wires/cap/rotor and filters. Open the plug gap, bump the timing up a little. This is referred to as the sixlitre tuneup. Many here have done it.

To be honest we get this same question multiple times every week. If you would take some time to browse through the last week or two posts you would find answers to your question. These engines are strangled with tiny cams, although yours may be a roller cam equipped version which helps a little. There is no magic bullet or chip you can install and find instant power, it's not there.

Start with the tuneup, timing bump then move on to opening up the exhaust. Headers will help, high flow converters are at the top of the list as well. After that you start running into one bottleneck after the other. It's a matter of what is your final goal and how deep are your pockets.

Let's not forget what gears the truck has and what size tires you are running.

agreed, another thing you can do to help the truck (that I did) is if your truck comes equipped with the "snorkle" breather tube get rid of that and get the tube from a 6-cyl truck (300?) since that would move the intake just behind your grill/driver side headlamp and that will help the truck breat more "cooler air" the stock air box/intake honestly is more then these trucks really needed from the get go so your pretty good as far as that goes...best thing to do (which im looking into now) is whats called the 6L tune up...(mentioned above) and yes you should be able to just search for it, and go from there...

rla2005 03-30-2012 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by drhodes200 (Post 11644670)
Thanks for the suggestions its already got a exaust done cause when I got it had glasspacks with no converter but right now I'm running 33's and trying to step up to 35's the truck came with a 4in skyjacker suspension lift but I just joins n figured if i askd is get some good answers so haven't really had time to browse but appreciate your time with throwing out some suggestions

Right there is a big red flag. Check the door jamb tag for the axle code. You may have some awful 3.08s which do not work well with those taller tires. Even 3.55s are not going to be helping you much.

X2 on the I6/7.5L intake tube. It is a much better design than the "kilroy" 5.0L/5.8L equipped trucks. It's a cheap upgrade if you can find one.

Conanski 03-30-2012 02:25 PM

Not likely an F250 has 3.08s but yeah.. unless it has 4.10s it needs a gear change more than anything else.

rla2005 03-30-2012 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Conanski (Post 11645822)
Not likely an F250 has 3.08s but yeah.. unless it has 4.10s it needs a gear change more than anything else.

Yep...I missed that, doh! :-X19