Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Ecoboost 3.5 - Expected Longevity (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1151409-ecoboost-3-5-expected-longevity.html)

Rick T 03-29-2012 02:17 PM

Ecoboost 3.5 - Expected Longevity

I'm thinking of an F-150 3.5L to replace both an aging car and my 2001 Chevy Duramax (I don't tow heavy any more, nothing over 7000 lbs). I haven't owned a Ford since my 1991 7.3L diesel (great truck BTW) so I don't know what sort of life folks are experiencing with the motors. I realize there are not many 3.5L truck engines out there, but would be interesting on any opinions, information that you might have to offer. I'd like to believe that I could get 200,000 miles out of the basic motor which seems reasonable for any contemporary design lightly used.

Rick T

640 CI Aluminum FORD 03-29-2012 05:06 PM

Its hard to tell at this point...There isn't really any high mileage Ecoboosts out there yet.

This is the first Twin Turbo Direct Injection gas engine application in a pickup so alot of people are holding their breath to see how it pans out.

I don't see any reason 200,000 miles shouldn't be attianable though if the engine is well cared for. Same applys to all engines assuming they are cared for. (Hold for lemons).

03 SVT VERT 03-29-2012 05:16 PM

All modern vehicle engines from major manufacturers (Ford, GM, Toyota, ect) are designed to last at least 150,000 miles without major repairs. Whether or not they do, is simply down to luck of the draw.

meborder 03-29-2012 07:00 PM

lots of opinions here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...w-engines.html

and here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-is-best.html

and here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ck-advice.html

there's probably more, but that aughta keep you entertained for a while.

BTW .. Wecome to FTE!
lotsa cool people here ... myself excluded ;)

NASSTY 03-29-2012 08:40 PM

Ecoboost last long long time. ;)

2ndStroke 03-29-2012 09:26 PM

Just watch Ford's torture test videos, they show you how many miles the eco will do...lol

gasbrnr 03-29-2012 09:41 PM

If you have doubts on the longevity of the 3.5 there is always the 5.0 V8 that comes real close to the the EB specs. About 2,000 Lbs. less towing capacity but still around 9,300 versus 11,300 Lbs. Some say they see the approx. same mileage. I'm going with the 5.0 because I don't tow that much weight but still impressed with the EB.

flixden 03-29-2012 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD (Post 11641420)
Its hard to tell at this point...There isn't really any high mileage Ecoboosts out there yet.

This is the first Twin Turbo Direct Injection gas engine application in a pickup so alot of people are holding their breath to see how it pans out.

I don't see any reason 200,000 miles shouldn't be attianable though if the engine is well cared for. Same applys to all engines assuming they are cared for. (Hold for lemons).

Very well said.
We will see. I have no doubt that a well maintained and driven EB will last 200K miles, but only time will tell.
5.0 or EB - both are great choices IMO.

Eric Landstrom 03-29-2012 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rick T (Post 11640856)
I'm thinking of an F-150 3.5L to replace both an aging car and my 2001 Chevy Duramax (I don't tow heavy any more, nothing over 7000 lbs). I haven't owned a Ford since my 1991 7.3L diesel (great truck BTW) so I don't know what sort of life folks are experiencing with the motors. I realize there are not many 3.5L truck engines out there, but would be interesting on any opinions, information that you might have to offer. I'd like to believe that I could get 200,000 miles out of the basic motor which seems reasonable for any contemporary design lightly used.

Rick T

The CEO of Ford who has turned the company around and is a darling of Wall Street (We really like him) is on record with the claim that Ford designs to a 150,000 mile service limit at the launch of the Ford Explorer.

640 CI Aluminum FORD 03-30-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by flixden (Post 11643128)
Very well said.
We will see. I have no doubt that a well maintained and driven EB will last 200K miles, but only time will tell.
5.0 or EB - both are great choices IMO.

Yes sir. I love my 5.0L and EB's I test drove sure were sweet to.

You can't go wrong with either engine! :-X22

tseekins 03-30-2012 05:38 AM

Any post warranty repair on any of these trucks will cost a fortune. My suggestion would be to get what you want and evaluate your purchase at say around 30K miles. If you feel that you need extra protection then get the ESP warranty.

I''m about to hit 10k on mine without issue. Who knows how she'll be in another 20K miles. But I know one thing, I'll be behind the wheel smiling all the way. :)

DIXIEDOG1 03-30-2012 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 11643744)
Any post warranty repair on any of these trucks will cost a fortune.

I don't believe it will be that expensive to repair even post warranty. Turbos are pricey but I've driven a lot of turbos and never replaced one... some with well over 200K. I'm pretty confident my Ecoboost will go for over 200K but will likely never know....manufacturers keep coming out with new must have stuff so my trucks keep changing.:-X04

BURNSTOUGHFORD 03-30-2012 08:20 AM

It will outlast your desire to own it...

The truck has been out for 2 years now and i havent seen any real complaint threads on the forums. Some guys dont get as good as MPG as they hope for. But other than that, it has proved to be a tough motor.

I wouldnt listed to any of the nesayers out there that claim the motor wont last because its a small displacment engine with turbos. They dont have a clue what they are talking about. Theres a lot of bad press on forums from the hardcore v8 guys on the eboost and i feel that it will distort the true image of the engine. But my beliefe is 5 years from now this will all have disapeared.

But in short, it will last, the technology its using isnt really new at all. Its just the first time its been put into this particular package. Turbos, VCT, and DI have been around for years.

Pool Runner 03-30-2012 09:42 AM

You know it isn't the motors I would worry about with these trucks, it's the trans. I know the trans has been out since '09 with revisions to it in '11? I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.

tseekins 03-30-2012 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pool Runner (Post 11644654)
You know it isn't the motors I would worry about with these trucks, it's the trans. I know the trans has been out since '09 with revisions to it in '11? I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually the '07 Expeditions were built with a version of this tranny. There have been some reports of a bad batch of torque converters and some pump failures likely due to the manufacturing process and not being well flushed but these transmissions seem to be tough as nails.